• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Cleveland Browns Radio Network

billf82 said:
Isn't 98.5 required to carry the network's pregame and postgame show? I've never heard of a station carrying JUST the game.

Was an AM flagship station required as part of this new radio deal? I would've just let the two CBS Radio-owned stations have the rights to the Browns. Other teams have had two FM's as flagships, but no AM, especially an AM from a competing company (The Bills used to have two Citadel FM's as their flagships, before WGR-AM took over, with no FM partner, in 2012).

It's up to the individual team, but the Browns wanted both AM and FM.

WNCX is only on board to carry the games on their strong signal, as the Browns anticipated people complaing about 92.3's signal (and WKNR's as well).

As has been brought up before, the key to this whole deal was all the extra auxillary programming during the week (especially "Browns Daily"). WKNR and The Fan were willing to go "all in", WTAM and WMMS had too much other stuff going on, thus here we are.

The PNC Browns Radio Network is sadly lacking based on what I didn't hear on Thursday night. There is still no network station(s) in Southwestern Ohio for the first time in over 60 years or more. Also, because of WKNR's night-time signal, the network lacks any kind of an AM powerhouse for its network. Is this what the new ownership wanted when they went about the changes to the team's radio coverage?

Cincinnati Kid said:
The PNC Browns Radio Network is sadly lacking based on what I didn't hear on Thursday night. There is still no network station(s) in Southwestern Ohio for the first time in over 60 years or more. Also, because of WKNR's night-time signal, the network lacks any kind of an AM powerhouse for its network. Is this what the new ownership wanted when they went about the changes to the team's radio coverage?

They were willing to sacrifice AM signal strength on one station for the other AM station to throw themselves at the team and air "Browns Daily" and all the other extra programming.

Their thinking was WNCX would provide the strong signal for the game broadcast, while the other stations would air all the auxillary programming.

With most games airing at 1 p.m., KNR will have enough juice to cover a good chunk of real estate (though probably sketchy at best south of Columbus).

It's the night games that might be more problematic. Still, WKNR's day signal is pretty good. Won't matter too much between 1pm and 4 or 5pm, though keep an eye out during daylight savings time - setting those clocks back.

CleveFan said:
It's the night games that might be more problematic. Still, WKNR's day signal is pretty good. Won't matter too much between 1pm and 4 or 5pm, though keep an eye out during daylight savings time - setting those clocks back.

The Browns have a Thursday night game on October 3, and a pair of 4:25 games (Oct 20/Nov 3). Everything else is a 1:00 kickoff (unless the second coming occurs and the Browns are in playoff contention, in which case some late season games may be "flexed" to later time slots).

Columbus along with south and southeastern Ohio can listen to Browns coverage on 95.5 The Game. Transmits from Lancaster, Ohio.

If there were a high demand other Dayton stations would have picked it up. Perhaps a few weeks in or next season they realize there is a demand. Apparently nobody thought so now.

I'm told that moving the Browns' games off of WTAM, owned by Clear Channel, is why WONE 980-AM in Dayton, also owned by Clear Channel, pulled off the network. WONE was on the Browns Network from 1980 through last season. They had local sponsors during the games along with those fed by the network.

It might help if one or more of stations in Southwestern Ohio received a "sales job" from someone with the PNC Browns Radio Network. Actually, it should have been done a few months back when that network was being set up.

An up-date on Southwestern Ohio having a radio station on the PNC Bank Cleveland Browns Radio Network ..... WING 1410-AM in Dayton is working to enter into a contract to become a part of the network. Interestingly, the Browns' website is already listing that station as an affiliate. WING also carries the Reds' games and according to a station official, in the event of a conflict, it would air the Reds because of an already-made agreement. WING does not have as good of a day-time signal in the immediate Cincinnati area as WONE 980-AM in Dayton (who had been carrhing the games for some years), but at least it's a start in continuing to have the Browns on the air in this area.

Curious if anyone knows if the terms changed when the Browns took the network out of Clear Channel's distribution arm? I know a lot of markets were paying $2,000 and up per game over the last few years...

$2,000 x 16 games would be an extreme bargin for most stations within an hour of Cleveland. Used to be low 6 figures per season for several close-in local markets.

An up-date on Southwestern Ohio having a radio station on the PNC Bank Cleveland Browns Radio Network ..... WING 1410-AM in Dayton is working to enter into a contract to become a part of the network. Interestingly, the Browns' website is already listing that station as an affiliate. WING also carries the Reds' games and according to a station official, in the event of a conflict, it would air the Reds because of an already-made agreement. WING does not have as good of a day-time signal in the immediate Cincinnati area as WONE 980-AM in Dayton (who had been carrhing the games for some years), but at least it's a start in continuing to have the Browns on the air in this area.

It was announced yesterday that WHIO AM/FM will carry the Browns in the Dayton market. WING had been in talks, but I think the conflict with Reds' baseball hurt their shot at getting the Browns.

I've been off of this website for a while, but just want to (finally) comment about WHIO Radio in Dayton joining the PNC Browns Network. That station puts a fairly good daytime signal in the Greater Cincinnati area. Having WHIO's FM signal is good, too, but I wish it had better coverage in this area - especially for games late in the afternoon or at night. I remember WHIO (AM) carried the Browns from 1971 into late in that decade although as it was also on the Reds Radio Network then, too. As such, some Browns' games were not carried when they took place at the same time as the Reds' games. Thanks to WHIO officials for doing this.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom