• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Trying again: 1450 & 1150 off air

therealjm12

Star Participant
My previous post was deleted with the change of the new server. Lets try again.........
When I was in the Utica area Memorial day weekend I checked 1450 (WKAL) and they were still off the air. I then scanned the AM dial and discovered 1150 (always be WRUN to me) was off the air, too. I notified CNY radio and they later reported 1150 was off due to vandalism. Someone has apparently stolen transgression lines. Hmmm, wouldn't there be a lot of current in those lines? Especially from the phase house to tower three, the common point. It just seems strange that someone could have done this while the station was on the air without getting zapped. How long did it take before it was discovered they were off the air? Thoughts?
Updates?

therealjm12 said:
When I was in the Utica area Memorial day weekend I checked 1450 (WKAL) and they were still off the air. I then scanned the AM dial and discovered 1150 (always be WRUN to me) was off the air, too. I notified CNY radio and they later reported 1150 was off due to vandalism. Someone has apparently stolen transgression lines. Hmmm, wouldn't there be a lot of current in those lines? Especially from the phase house to tower three, the common point. It just seems strange that someone could have done this while the station was on the air without getting zapped. How long did it take before it was discovered they were off the air? Thoughts?
Updates?

No updates yet. All I know is that WUTI (and I always have to catch myself from calling it WRUN out of habit) was already on low-power when this happened. Not being an engineer, I don't know what kind of a difference that might make, but I just thought I'd put it out there.

Also no info on WKAL. The ownership is in California, and I don't have any contact info for them... nor have I heard if there are any "local" contacts who can go on the record about anything. But if anyone reading this post has any info, please feel free to respond here on the board, or email me at [email protected]. I can also take messages through an online form at www.cnyradio.com/contact ... if you'd rather provide info anonymously, just say so and I won't mention your name to anyone. If you use the form, there are spaces for your own name and email but you can leave them blank... allowing anyone with news tips to share without revealing their identity, even to me.

I wonder if anyone of any power has considered to call Bob Hajec at WUTR-TV for any (paid) consultation on 1150. He was once the chief engineer there and probably the only one left in the area that understands the complex system. Top loaded antennas-whoa!

Re: Trying again: 1450 & 1150 off air +1120

As of 7/20/13, 1450, 1150, & 1120 are blank. I have no personal information but I believe 1120 can be forgiven. They've had a lot of bad luck just getting on the air. In spite of that, they did get on the air, briefly, and satisfied the FCC. Now I hope they can get the bugs out and I wish them great success.

Re: Trying again: 1450 & 1150 off air +1120

therealjm12 said:
As of 7/20/13, 1450, 1150, & 1120 are blank. I have no personal information but I believe 1120 can be forgiven. They've had a lot of bad luck just getting on the air. In spite of that, they did get on the air, briefly, and satisfied the FCC. Now I hope they can get the bugs out and I wish them great success.

As of 7/24/13, WKAJ-AM 1120 is back on...still working on a few issues from the thunderstorm that hammered through a few weeks ago.

Actually the one engineer that has taken care of the old WRUN for the last 13 years is a guy named Tim Perry, the Chief at Townsquare Media. I'm told he knows the old WRUN better that anyone in these parts including Bob Hajec at WUTR. Just an fyi boys and girls...

I was in the Mohawk Valley for a few days. As of 8/16/13 1120, 1150, & 1450 were still silent. Well, maybe not silent, a lot of static.

In the Mohawk Valley Columbus Day weekend. 1120 was on the air apperently similcasting their Amsterdam station. 1150 & 1450 just static.

Don't know about 1450 but 1150-Utica is likely off the air for a long time, maybe permanent. 1120 on the air most of the time and actually sounds pretty good.

I stopped at the 1150 transmitter site Easter weekend '14. Looked like nothing was going on. Questions: didn't the FCC approve a construction permit for WRUN to move it's transmitter site to New Hartford back when WAMC owned them. I always wondered was that the WTLB site? Maybe that's in the works? And Town Square Media has not owned 1150 for at least 10 years now. So would Tim Perry still be involved?

1150 is owned by Leatherstocking Media and I think WTLB-1310 is still owned by Galaxy. Don't ever recall a CP to move 1150.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom