• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Voice Tracking

I guess this could fall under any format but since I'm here..I've noticed on some stations that have their VT's imported from out of the building that the volume of the tracks is too low and when you set the sec tone to "walk" up a song the vocals of the tracker are often overpowered by the song intro and they are barely audible..Is there software available to raise or lower vocals or does that have to be done manually...Recently I'm hearing this alot..Just curious..

I heard this recently while traveling. The last part of the voice track was drowned out by the song intro.

If you do it yourself you just need to make sure your levels are right for everything and it sounds fine. Nowdays, so many people just import the songs and don't pay attention to levels like they used to. So that's the result...drowned out dj.
Most automation systems use "ducking" that lowers the volume of the song while the voice track plays. You can set it as far as how low it drops the song volume. You might notice that when the voice track is done, the volume of the song fades up. I'm not crazy about using it, but it's better than drowning out the jock.

Having done VT using Simian that was set up correctly by engineering using "ducking"...I have to conclude many times I think it is Operator Error or the Jock wanting to "get it over with" as quickly as possible. I always did a ton of show prep ahead of time the night before,would VT Midday shift from around 8-9:30AM and check levels before I did anything,although in fairness on my weekday shift there was a minimal amount of talk over being it was a Classic Rocker...but a lot of Talkover on my weekends which was Country and I always made sure those levels were stronger than they needed to be.

Set your constant source levels peak at 65% and record your voice tracks at 0db peak. make sure your processing is good on your signal and mic, and you will have a good sound. the biggest problem is music files with levels all over the place.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom