• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New station in Reno NV - definitely sounds like Rhythmic AC!

new_friends_gr

Frequent Participant
KWNZ (106.3 Pop FM) is a new station as of 5/6/13 that just signed on in Reno, Nevada. It seems to have a classic pop feel to it but it can easily be described as Rhythmic AC. They play lots of great rhythmic pop/dance music from the late '70s through today that no other station is playing. I've been streaming it for the past couple hours, and I have to say I'm very impressed. Check out this sample playlist:

Prince - "Delirious"
Michel'le - "No More Lies"
Bruno Mars - "When I Was Your Man"
Debbie Deb - "When I Hear Music"
Kylie Minogue - "The Loco-Motion"
Alicia Bridges - "I Love The Nightlife (Disco Round)"
JoJo - "Leave (Get Out)"
Spice Girls - "Wannabe"
The System - "Don't Disturb This Groove"
David Guetta f/Sia - "Titanium"
Kriss Kross - "Jump"
Nu Shooz - "I Can't Wait"
Bobby Brown - "On Our Own"
Timex Social Club - "Rumors"
The Floaters - "Float On"
Destiny's Child - "Jumpin' Jumpin'"
Enigma - "Sadeness"
Pink - "Try"
Sweet Sensation - "I'm Hooked On You"
Wham! - "Everything She Wants"
Katy Perry - "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)"
Madonna - "Holiday"
Color Me Badd - "All 4 Love"
Varsity Fan Club - "Future Love"
Paula Abdul - "Opposites Attract"
Tara Kemp - "Hold You Tight"
Expose - "Let Me Be The One"
Usher - "U Remind Me"
SWV - "Right Here (Human Nature)"
Michael Jackson - "Off the Wall"
Monica - "Before You Walk Out of My Life"
Jennifer Lopez - "Waiting For Tonight"
Samantha Fox - "Touch Me (I Want Your Body)"
The Jets - "You Got It All"

Also, they seem to be playing VERY few commercials for now. Wikipedia describes the station as "'80s/'90s hits", but it's more than just '80s and '90s. This is Rhythmic AC for sure! However, they seem to present themselves as jammin' oldies or something like that. One of their slogans is, "The hits are back!"

Here's another great station that I hope lasts a long time, but it probably won't. :(

new_friends_gr said:
Also, they seem to be playing VERY few commercials for now.

Yep...the presenting (and only) sponsor right now is Bill Pearce Motors. Their commercials started on day one of the station. I assume that Shamrock Communications informed Bill Pearce Motors of their plans a while back, and arrived at an agreement to make them the first and lone advertiser for a while.

I just discovered "106.3 Pop FM" about a week ago. GREAT playlist!! Songs I haven't heard on the radio in a long time, like "Escapade" Janet Jackson and Ready for the World's "Oh Sheila" as well as a mix of 1990s Destiny Child, Boyz II Men and other R&B artists as well as the regular top 40 singles. Was also a little surprised to hear "Don't Disturb This Groove" by the System.

-crainbebo

I like the presentation as it's more of a throwback to the way top 40 stations sounded when we grew up.

I would like to see Hot AC stations go more in this direction.

Reno had it - and now they lost it. 106.3 Pop FM has shifted to CHR.
http://radioinsight.com/blog/headlines/90916/pop-fm-reno-shifts-to-chr/

Makes me mad! I enjoyed their mix of rhythmic 80s and 90s hits. Loved the Janet Jackson, Boyz II Men and Destiny's Child! Now another crappy station to hear Katy Perry, Iggy Azalea and Usher! Yuck.
Fortunately I recorded a bunch of airchecks over the summer so I have some of the old "Pop FM" to enjoy.

-crainbebo

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom