• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

iRadio... Who is it really going to hurt?

There has been a lot of talk on tech websites about the upcoming iRadio service from Apple. Apparently the service is still planning a summer launch, but at a higher royalty rate than they had desired (they tried to pay half of what Pandora pays, now they will pay more). The service is rumored to include some features unavailable to statutory-licensed internet radio, such as the ability to rewind songs.

As is usual, the press is predicting the death of Pandora. They have done this numerous times with the launches of iHeart, Spotify, Songza, Turntable.fm, etc. But they are leaving out perhaps the most important part. This is going to be built into iTunes. What does this mean for the hundreds of internet radio stations that are listed in the iTunes directory? Are they going to have to compete with this new service or are they simply going to be replaced in iTunes in favor of iRadio? If I had to guess, I would guess the second. It is also likely to be built into iPhones and iPod Touches to compete directly with TuneIn and Shoutcast.

This might be one of the largest threats to internet radio stations, second to royalties. Definitely something to keep an eye on. I enjoy many great internet radio stations and I know many board members here run some great stations. What are your thoughts on this?

Since you asked....

If you like a particular (terrestrial via internet or just internet) station, you'll still like it if and when a new service emerges.
Chances are that to the particular listener/user, there's something "unique" you are attracted-to in the current offerings. Humans are creatures of habit.

Flat Screen HDTV did not mean the death of classic TV programming, served in B/W and SD.

None of the format changes in home audio playback have meant the death of radio through 4-track, 8-track, open reel, cassette, CD, mp3's.

If you like an app for a particular service now, you'll like it later. What you use is a personal decision, not entirely driven only by the hype of "new and improved"...that may work for laundry detergent, but not always for other products, especially intangibles.

Then again the present Internet Radio stations that are listed in iTunes may be in the new iRadio service. In vact I saw some iRadio agents listening to my station so I am guessing that you'll be able to rewind the song/show. It will be a lot like TuneIn's Pro app.

Now if our stations are suddenly taken off iTunes this could hurt as 75% of all my listeners come from iTunes. I'd have to figure out how to promote the station and give listeners a reason to listen to The Legacy as opposed to a Pandora like service. Trying to play artists that are not played on this service will get your station ahead of them and I know iTunes will not be an authority on Progressive Rock. Playing artists like Spocks "Beard, Transatlantic, Neal Morse, Starcastle and others could get attention to the station.

thelegacy said:
...Now if our stations are suddenly taken off iTunes this could hurt as 75% of all my listeners come from iTunes. I'd have to figure out how to promote the station and give listeners a reason to listen to The Legacy as opposed to a Pandora like service....

If those listeners are like me, they have figured out how to save an iTunes radio station in their local playlists, so they always have access to their favorite stations.

Now, off to find your station and add it...

Right now finding my station is easy in iTunes

Radio>Classic Rock>Type L and look for The Legacy.

Or just listen via RadioLoyalty's web player they actually have a newer and better player:

http://thelegacyfm.tk

I'm sure you'll enjoy if you love the old Album Rock style.

Found it in iTunes and added it to my fave radio playlist. If iTunes drops your station, I can still find the stream in iTunes. My main computer is a Mac G5 (PPC). It won't run the latest version of Flash needed for your website.

The Legacy reminds me of WKDA-FM in Nashville 40 years ago.

I would say best-case scenario, internet stations keep their place in iTunes but have to compete with a heavily-marketed iRadio. Worst-case, they are replaced by iRadio. Apple is definitely turning up some in house product. They are establishing licensing deals right now and ramping up their advertising network. Their goal is to use it to drive iTunes downloads.

It sort of sounds like Pandora but with the ability to click Download and then your asked to pay per song if you want on demand. Google just opened up All Access which is very nice but I still see the bait and switch. We'll just have to see how this goes.

Glad you like The Legacy. Too bad macs have been locked out of the new Flash player. Its something I'll bring up when I talk with Hector and Shamus. Maybe its time for either a RadioLoyalty app for the desktop or some sort of HTML5 player or maybe allow direct links but force an audio ad when they first tune in. Something so that Macs can help us basement broadcasters.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

thelegacy said:
Glad you like The Legacy. Too bad macs have been locked out of the new Flash player. Its something I'll bring up when I talk with Hector and Shamus. Maybe its time for either a RadioLoyalty app for the desktop or some sort of HTML5 player or maybe allow direct links but force an audio ad when they first tune in. Something so that Macs can help us basement broadcasters.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

It's only the old PPC processor Macs that can not run the latest Flash player. I cranked up my "studio" Mac, which is the latest Intel processor and I can listen on your webpage. But for some reason the Song/Album and Artist fields are switched. Southern Woman does a song named Styx, for example.

I too will be disappointed if Apple does away with the Radio Directory.

I think they're really late to the game. I assume they'll be successful. What "i" is added to normally takes off. :)

Itunes Radio is officially launching September 18th. It is strongly rumored though not confirmed that it will replace the streaming radio directory in iTunes. If not replace it, it will definitely bury it to promote Itunes Radio.

Itunes Radio is officially launching September 18th. It is strongly rumored though not confirmed that it will replace the streaming radio directory in iTunes. If not replace it, it will definitely bury it to promote Itunes Radio.

The current Radio directory will be renamed "Internet" and moved.. and the new feature will be called "Radio"

That may confuse the listeners but we'll just have to see Tomorrow when this launches. I've been really trying to let the iTunes listeners know that they can still listen via the website if iTunes does go and kill the private Internet Radio stations. I can tell you that I had to Upload an image for my station recently to iTunes via Email to continue having my station listed in their directory so odds are they may try and manipulate it where if your playing a lot of the key artists your station may be higher in the directory or something like this. I can tell you that it won't be the same this is for sure.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom