• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

RICK DEES IN SAN FRANCISCO

Hot Hits said:
Alright but he looked about 80 and that is his Pie!

You must be young. I've seen recent pictures of Rick and he looks about 55. He may dye his hair, or have plugs now, I have no idea, but he looks pretty good to me.

I'd hate to show you my photo - you'd probably think I was 90.

Lkeller said:
You must be young. I've seen recent pictures of Rick and he looks about 55. He may dye his hair, or have plugs now, I have no idea, but he looks pretty good to me.

I'd hate to show you my photo - you'd probably think I was 90.
No I am not young anymore but saw Dees daily at work. He has had many cosmetic procedures over the years to give him that eternal look. Perhaps my comment comparing him to Larry H. Parker was too harsh!

1069_KIFR said:
Dick Clark wannabe?

Man who managed to keep a morning drive show on a Los Angeles CHR for 23 years...to age 53. In that city, looks and perception of age matter big.

Just as a point of reference, the previous #1 Top 40 morning men in L.A. went to more adult formats at:

35 (Charlie Tuna)

30 (Charlie Van Dyke)

39 (Robert W. Morgan)

36 (Emperor Bob Hudson)

26 (Gary Owens)

DavidKaye said:
rustyhodge said:
KREV has gotten so bad that many people I know who used to tolerate it now have bailed on it completely. It's a shame that Royce didn't continue with the programming that the former Energy 92.7 (KNGY) had; they were making decent revenue but couldn't handle the debt service. But Royce bought it for a fifth of what Flying Bear paid for the stick.

Well, yeah, that's exactly it. He's probably just holding onto it until the market for stations heats up and he can make a profit. On the other hand, just because the asking price of a commodity goes down by 80% does not mean it's going to come back up again, ever.

I can tell you that Ed fully expected to get 5 times the numbers Energy had been getting ( making that around a 3 share ) - that's what he was pitching to Energy's old advertisers. It could be that he still expects that presuming he can find someone to execute the format. The notion that the SF CHR stations skew rhythmic the way they do is based on sound research goes right over his head. And the fact that it's the "shortest stick" in the market.

Now that dance has been rather mainstreamed, the format hole that existed for Energy back in 2004 has kinda closed up.

michael hagerty said:
1069_KIFR said:
Dick Clark wannabe?

Man who managed to keep a morning drive show on a Los Angeles CHR for 23 years...to age 53. In that city, looks and perception of age matter big.

Just as a point of reference, the previous #1 Top 40 morning men in L.A. went to more adult formats at:

35 (Charlie Tuna)

30 (Charlie Van Dyke)

39 (Robert W. Morgan)

36 (Emperor Bob Hudson)

26 (Gary Owens)

Speaking of looking older (or not) - I've noticed that Charlie Tuna's "hair" has not aged or thinned one bit in all these years.

Lkeller said:
michael hagerty said:
1069_KIFR said:
Dick Clark wannabe?

35 (Charlie Tuna)

30 (Charlie Van Dyke)

39 (Robert W. Morgan)

36 (Emperor Bob Hudson)

26 (Gary Owens)

Speaking of looking older (or not) - I've noticed that Charlie Tuna's "hair" has not aged or thinned one bit in all these years.

On the last night of KHJ in 1986, Robert W. Morgan mentioned Charlie Tuna, then said "I'll never understand it. All that money on his hair and not one dime on his teeth."

Morgan loved taking shots at Tuna, so God knows whether he was just making it up or if Charlie's had hair implants or something.

"On the last night of KHJ in 1986, Robert W. Morgan mentioned Charlie Tuna, then said "I'll never understand it. All that money on his hair and not one dime on his teeth."

Morgan loved taking shots at Tuna, so God knows whether he was just making it up or if Charlie's had hair implants or something."

It may be a garden variety rug. It's got that dead animal on the head look (too MUCH hair) that was popular in the 80s on celebrities like William Shatner and Burt Reynolds. But even The Shat finally gave that up for a more 'natural' (fake) look.

Implants generally only give people a thinnish head of hair - think Biden or Chuck Schumer.

Its clear, Art's greatest rugs of the 60's, 70's, 80's & 90's have been replaced by the Hair plugs/Weaves of today. Now Charlie is looking younger than ever while Rick is showing signs of aging. Why it was just yesterday, Charlie Tuna was hosting the DeFranko Family live in the Montgomery Wards parking lot in Panorama City. right down the street from KVFM on Van Nuys Blvd!

Hot Hits said:
Its clear, Art's greatest rugs of the 60's, 70's, 80's & 90's have been replaced by the Hair plugs/Weaves of today. Now Charlie is looking younger than ever while Rick is showing signs of aging. Why it was just yesterday, Charlie Tuna was hosting the DeFranko Family live in the Montgomery Wards parking lot in Panorama City. right down the street from KVFM on Van Nuys Blvd!

I remember reading somewhere (I'm thinking a Michael Hagerty post) that Charlie has always lived a clean life - no drinking, smoking, or drugs. So that probably accounts for his overall youthfulness. But losing your hair is mostly genetic - no amount of clean living will help. I'm living proof, BTW.

Clean living doesn't seem to work for everybody, though - Casey Kasem was another clean-living guy (a vegan, IIRC), but he doesn't look so good and his voice appears to be shot. He probably has a decade on Charlie, though.

Lkeller said:
Hot Hits said:

I remember reading somewhere (I'm thinking a Michael Hagerty post) that Charlie has always lived a clean life - no drinking, smoking, or drugs. So that probably accounts for his overall youthfulness. But losing your hair is mostly genetic - no amount of clean living will help. I'm living proof, BTW.

Clean living doesn't seem to work for everybody, though - Casey Kasem was another clean-living guy (a vegan, IIRC), but he doesn't look so good and his voice appears to be shot. He probably has a decade on Charlie, though.

Casey is 12 years older than Charlie. Casey's 81, Charlie's 69. That's a big difference at that point in life.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom