• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Could "The Bert Show" Replace Jen and Steve On WXLO?

Cumulus (which owns Hot AC WXLO-104.5 in the Worcester area) appears to be in the process of rolling-out "The Bert Show" (which was originally a local morning show on one of their Atlanta stations) nationwide.

There are numerous reports that it will soon replace a local morning show on WRQX in Washington that had been handled for 24 years by Jack Diamond (is this the same Jack Diamond who was morning man at the old WACQ-1150 for a couple of years in the late 1970's during that station's brief foray into Top-40??).

Both "The Bert Show" and WRQX are Cumulus properties. So is Hot AC formatted WXLO-104.5 in Worcester.

I wonder if Cumulus might soon give their current morning hosts, Jen and Steve, the axe and replace them with "The Bert Show".

Although Worcester is not a major market in itself, WXLO's signal does penetrate Boston (although their programming is aimed at Central Massachusetts), so Cumulus could claim to national "Bert Show" advertisers that the show can be heard in Boston (which technically would be true).

"The Bert Show""s website: http://thebertshow.com .

Living in Nashville a few years ago, I got to sample the Bert Show from time to time. It was early into the show's syndication run, but the show was extremely focused on Atlanta, and syndication was clearly an afterthought... they ID'd as "on Q100!" a few times. If the show is going to Washington, or Worcester, or anywhere, it's going to need be a bit more broadly focused than it is now.

The Bert Show is on a dozen Cumulus stations around the country, on both CHR and Hot AC stations. They've got most of the kinks ironed out at this point. I would think that once Jen & Steve's contract finally runs out...that the Bert Show will eventually replace them. The interesting market to watch would be Providence, where longtime jock Giovanni handles mornings on PRO-FM. His ratings are strong, so I doubt that they'd run him out for a syndie show, but it IS Cumulus....

fmradio1 said:
I would think that once Jen & Steve's contract finally runs out...that the Bert Show will eventually replace them.

"Jen and Steve" does nothing for me personally, can't stand listening to them as a team. Jen was better on her own after Zito left and before Steve got there.

Steve has his comedy stuff as a backup plus he does commercials locally. He's got one going now for Shrewsbury Lumber (in Shrewsbury, MA). I don't know if Jen does anything on the side.

And if it was up to Joseph and Laurojrm, there would be no local personailities left on the air in Boston. All syndicated, all the time. ;)

blackgold said:
Another morning crew being replaced in favor of "voicetracking" in morning drive! That sucks!

The great majority of the listeners will never notice the difference, unfortunately. Otherwise, all stations would be live and local all the time. The ad agencies don't give a flip where the stuff that goes between the spots originates, and the investors clap their hands in joy at the news of cost savings and layoffs.

blackgold said:
Another morning crew being replaced in favor of "voicetracking" in morning drive! That sucks!

It's not voicetracking. It would be live. Just not based in Boston. Voicetracking means it's recorded.

I think the issue is how well the local show is doing. The show in DC had a good cume, but the station was underperforming in the ratings. So it was vulnerable. Plus Bert used to work there.

How is WXLO is doing? If it's doing well, they'll make more money with a local show.

^I think using the same morning show in Atlanta and Massachusetts is too much of a stretch - I've lived in both places, and I almost feel like the sense of humor is different

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom