• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Adobe Audition and Windows 8?

C

CONSultant

First, let me thank you all - I get so much good info on audio here without even having to ask! But now, I've gotta ask: anyone know if Adobe Audition 1.5 will run on Windows 8? I love 1.5 - it does everything I need and I don't, repeat, DON'T want to upgrade to the newer, fatter versions with a bunch of stuff I don't need. That said, I need to get a new laptop and everything now is preloaded with Win 8. Had mega problems with Vista - hated that op system but runs fine on Windows XP and Win 7. I'm concerned Win 8 is going to be another Vista. Any experience?

I look forward to the responses to your question about Windows 8 and Audition.

Now... if Audition 1.5 actually meets all your needs, GREAT! Last year I made the jump from Audition 2.0 to Audition CS6. I think many of us are finding that there is a shaky relationship between the newest Audition and Windows 7. It works well... except when it freezes up.

There a few functions where I will save a file and exit CS6 and open the file to do some tedious editing in Audition 2.0 because either I just like the User Interface better, or to use features they chose to drop from the newest version. But I do that ONLY for cut and paste type edits for the most part.

But if I am going to do a lot of "processing".... I want my CS6.... awkward interface and all! When it comes to Noise Reduction and other "processes".... once you get used to CS6 you realize that for all these years the earlier versions of Audition and the old Cool Edit were taking the "steaks" you just recorded... and turning them into "hamburger" by comparison. And doing it slowly.

Ever see someone take an old 1930s or 1940 car and drop a more modern engine and tranny in their customized car? A vintage hot-rod with modern performance (and brakes!)? That is what I wish I could do with Audition: Take the engine and tranny from CS6 and put it under the hood of my Audition 2.0 user interface.

Little by little I am making peace with the new version because when you are selling your sound... your customers want steak.... not hamburger.

So let's see what the rest of the world has figured out about Windows 8 and Audition.

Thanks GRC. I know exactly what you mean. I work fulltime for a station that still uses CoolEdit 2.0! because it is very stable over many different platforms. My personal editing is pretty simple vo and simple spots with voice, a few effects, and music. I don't need all of the video bloat with CS6 and I just don't want to have to learn another interface that is really different from what I use everyday.

As a 'bare essentials' kind of production guy, Audition 1.5 works fine for my needs. I've used 2.0 and 3.0; haven't gotten to CS6 yet, but I'm sure I'll demo it soon.

But I'm running 1.5 on a Win8 machine, and it seems to work flawlessly.

TDO

It works for me if I start it in compatibility mode, but AA3.0 is available free from Adobe as it has reached the end of its live. It runs fine on Win8.

NHRadio said:
AA3.0 is available free from Adobe as it has reached the end of its live.

Can you tell me where we can find that download?

The license agreement on that is if you legally own a copy because the reg server is not active. Not technically "free", but they're not going to enforce anything.

Four months ago I went through hell with those idiots trying to move AA3 from one PC to another because I didn't have the "name used to install it" on the old PC. Three days of dead ends from them. After trying on-line support I called them. The tech support guy said he couldn't help & hung up on me.

Related to Windows 8, I wanted to ask about anyone's experiences with Sound Forge. At work, we still have XP machines and use Audition. But for basic editing at home, I've used Sound Forge and have been happy with it.

I have a new home PC. I've seen reviews on Amazon that report Sound Forge isn't compatible with Win 8. True? While I'm asking, has anyone tried Sony Vegas with Windows 8?

If Sound Forge and/or Vegas are not compatible, bite the bullet and spend a little more on CS6?

Thanks for your tips.

Looking at their web site, Waveosaur doesn't appear to work with Windows 8. Maybe it will though. It might be worth the free download to see. I think this makes a good argument for stockpiling old Windows XP and Windows 7 Computers.

We, the consumers, have had a great ride the last 30 years. The IBM PC and the Apple genre of desk-top boxes became such a big and prolific demand that an entire industry developed... much of it financed and fueled by corporate purchases. Now with iPhones, iPads, Blackberrys, and tablet devices I have lost count of, the marked for traditional computers, including laptops, is something of a shell of it's former self. No longer can young people hope to start a company around one application and build a company that grows into a full line of software through aggressive marketing and pricing. No longer can publishers print magazines full of free code we can all try for ourselves in $60 language compilers.

I worked at one time in computers at one of the Big Box stores and a co-worker over in appliances reminded me one day: "yeah, the day will come for computers also. Every year they come up with stereo systems that are a little bit better that the previous model, but they have reached the point that only our dogs know if they are actually any better or not. And when computers reach maturity, who can tell us if the newer model is any better than the previous one? Our dogs can't listen to the computer and tell us.

I guess we are there. Yes, maybe stockpiling an extra XP or Win 7 is a good idea for those of us who still "make nice every day" with our traditional, bolted to the desk style computers.

I think you guys have made some good points. I went ahead and spent the $45 for the Sound Forge Audio Studio 10 download from Amazon. I've only made a couple of basic dry voice recordings to test. The fact that I had no problems with installation and registration made me breathe a sigh of relief. We'll see if there are periodic problems related to registration that I've seen in some reviews. So far so good. And yeah, I plan to nurse the older PCs I have that are loaded with XP.

When I have more time to play with the newly-loaded software, I'll give an update with any problems or work-arounds I encounter. Glad it's only production software and not on-air automation.

Hey, again, a very big thanks to all who've taken time to answer my questions over the last couple of years on a variety of things.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom