• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KOSF

Anyone notice that this station continues to evolve...and grow in the ratings. I see today they are now Top 5 in 6+, which is pretty amazing considering CBS couldn't make the format work. Listening over the weekend I noticed they seem to be playing a lot more 80's music and hardly heard any 60's (which I liked). Also live jocks on the weekend talking about the Giants win Saturday right after the game ended. Seems like CC figured out something with this station.

It is kind of sad that they're making headway when CBS couldn't revive KFRC. Hindsight is 20/20, but it sure seems that CBS blew it by not bringing in proven winners to program the format. My money would've been on having Jhani Kaye oversee KFRC. They might still be broadcasting at 106.9 with CC never bothering to go oldies.

robman said:
Anyone notice that this station continues to evolve...and grow in the ratings. I see today they are now Top 5 in 6+, which is pretty amazing considering CBS couldn't make the format work.

But they are only 14th in 25-54, so the sales results will not be that impressive.

David- I am as aware as yourself that 25-54 is still the 'money demo,' but lately, it seems that some adult formats like oldies are really trying hard to sell 35-64. There is a much more limited universe of 25-54 listeners for adult formats then, say, 10 years ago. I'm sure it's a much tougher sell, and the agency biz isn't there, but it may be a variation of 'necessity is the mother of invention.' If they sell 35-64, and lifestyle to local merchants that can benefit from the listeners, it might be worthwhile.

SFStatic said:
David- I am as aware as yourself that 25-54 is still the 'money demo,' but lately, it seems that some adult formats like oldies are really trying hard to sell 35-64. There is a much more limited universe of 25-54 listeners for adult formats then, say, 10 years ago. I'm sure it's a much tougher sell, and the agency biz isn't there, but it may be a variation of 'necessity is the mother of invention.' If they sell 35-64, and lifestyle to local merchants that can benefit from the listeners, it might be worthwhile.

In general, local direct accounts just can't pay the rates that agency accounts do. And any account big enough to pay higher rates is likely to have an agency.

In a market as geographically large as San Francisco, which runs from Santa Rosa down to Campbell, local businesses that have one or just a few locations or outlets would be paying for coverage they don't need. Local cable, the Internet, local print media, etc., make up the best media for such accounts.

While there a few non-agency accounts that can and do buy direct, the larger ones have in-house advertising managers who generally use the same criteria as agencies. That leaves just a few accounts with the means to buy full market signals. And that's not enough to sustain a major station.

But they are only 14th in 25-54, so the sales results will not be that impressive.
[/quote]

That is true, but I would bet they can make money with their 9th place finish with Men 25-54. Plus, they're right behind The Bone in 25-54 and a good lead ahead of K-Fox and KFOG (a travesty what Cumulus has done to that formerly legendary station). If the KOSF sales results aren't impressive, they must be downright dismal for the other Gold-based stations.

I think CBS is keeping the KFRC calls and won't let anyone revive it..

There not doing shi** with it, CBS knows KFRC is something in San Francisco and they not doing anything with it, just sitting on it

Just give back the calls to the FCC and hope someone in the Bay Area get's it

1069_KIFR said:
Ah! Thanks for straightening me out!

I thought call letters don't mean anything in today's day and age? Ok, I'm just being a smart a$$, I get the sense of history and love it. :)

stewie said:
I thought call letters don't mean anything in today's day and age? Ok, I'm just being a smart a$$, I get the sense of history and love it. :)

A $100 callsign is a minor expense for a miniscule competitive edge. Personally, I don't see the advantage of parking legacy callsigns because as time goes by they become less and less valuable. KFRC's most recent heyday was 35 years ago, after all. And would anybody really listen to a new station calling itself KFRC simply because of the callsign? I doubt it.

I can understand callsigns like KFOG, KABL, KBRG, KOIT and the like because they reflect local features (fog, cable cars, bridge, and Coit tower), and I can understand easy to say callsigns such as KGO, but after that I just don't see the advantage.

Considering how pitiful that last version of KFRC (106.9) was, i'd think that if CC had wanted to, or somehow been able to obtain the KFRC call letters for 103.7, it might have actually been a turn-off (tune-out) for some listeners.

The call letters certainly don't have the meaing they did for Oldies in the decade following the death of the Big 610's Top 40 format. Remember that 99.7/KFRC as an Oldies format came along in the early 90s, only about 6 or 7 years after the end of Top 40, so the call letters had some recent historical cachet. Now - I don't think they mean much of anything, except as a clever reference to the city of San FRanCisco, like KSFO.

KOME is a bit different because "come" is a word, and it can be used in either a regular or humorously nasty way to market the station. Come to think of it (sorry), could a religious station use KOME? As in, "Come to the Lord," "Come all Ye Faithful," or etc.?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom