• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What Makes a Successful Standards Radio Station

I wasn't complaining. I was pointing out that this station is a success because it does this sort of programming.

And it didn't mean less music. The station owner said Charlie Brown was looking at him (which seems unlikely, since Charlie Brown is probably not even live) because he wanted to get back to the music.

I'm not sure what this does to contribute to the station's sucess, but once again this year the owner is taking a group of people to St. Louis to watch the Cardinals play. They stop in Louisville on the way and see Churchill Downs, though I don't think a race is involved. Last year they went to see another team play but I can't remember which one now.

Maybe radio programmers need to go back to the original definition of "standards", then apply that to modern music. In the really olden days, "standards" were the songs that all popular singers often included in their acts. In the days before every singer also had to be a songwriter, there was a "standard" repertoire of songs that all singers or bands were expected to be able to handle, including adding their own unique arrangements or interpretations. Back in the day, songs like "Cry Me a River" would be heard anytime you heard any lounge singer at a nightclub. And, on radio, you might hear that song by Frank Sinatra, Julie London, Jack Jones, Tony Bennett, or any singer of "standards".

Today, though not played on the radio, there are plenty of singers who sing modern "standards" like "Yesterday", "Lilac Wine", "The Power of Love" or other such songs. A modern "standards based" station might therefore program Celine Dionne's version of "The Power of Love" for two or three plays in one week, then the Laura Branigan version next week, and so on.

Would such an approach work? I believe ANY approach can work if done properly, and ANY approach can fail if done badly. I think a "Music of Your Life" variation, updated to the 21st century and done right and adequately promoted, could work very well. But, if done badly and/or not promoted through media that reach those who don't ordinarily listen to radio or who don't "dial-surf" much, it will fail miserably. And if that happens, the know-it-alls who claim that only their method of tight playlists and boredom works will point their fingers and say, "See, I told you so!"

Would such an approach work? I believe ANY approach can work if done properly, and ANY approach can fail if done badly. I think a "Music of Your Life" variation, updated to the 21st century and done right and adequately promoted, could work very well.

Emmis did this in St Louis a few years ago, and they did it quite well and in fairly close synchronization with what you describe. It was called "Red 104" It did not succeed in the sales demos enough to be successful and was abandoned, with the station eventually sold to Radio One.

Red was a "poster child" for a refresh of the Al Hamm concept, with updated music. It did not get imitated or copied, and did not start a trend because it was a difficult sales proposition.

Red was an interesting experiment. I spent about a week in St. Louis listening to it intently whenever I could. There was just something about it that made it difficult to listen to for a long time. They'd be doing pretty good and suddenly play a real stiff in the middle of some decent songs. A friend of mine used to refer to this as "The turd in the punch bowl effect." As crude as it sounds, it pretty well summed up the problem. They also seemed to believe in the long stop-set, which I think is a real turn off for people who happen to like this kind of music. It was a nice try though....

Today I heard two commercials saying that tomorrow night after the primary election there will be complete coverage, with the winners and losers and a reporter doing interviews.

My Dial Global station has been sold to a college's foundation. It will be used to train students for broadcasting careers. The newspaper article promised no changes in the programming, though students would be providing the station with better news coverage than it has now, plus they would sell ads, and they'd be helping out with the sports broadcasts--including the college's teams, I assume.

The newspaper article didn't mention Jeff Rollins or Carl Hampton but I hope they'll still be around. The music just isn't as good when it's done locally. And I can't imagine what a mess students would make of it--though there can't be that many students during the summer. The sale was just announced, though, and format changes and other results of sales don't tend to happen right away after the announcement.

If they can keep the music the same, this can only be good news.

I, too was intrigued by the initial freshness of Red 104.1. I was working at a standards-formatted station at the time and welcomed what began as a bright, up-tempo approach. But on-air basics seemed to go out the window at Red, with strange deep album cuts and air personalities who did a 3-minute talk breaks about nothing at all. Plus, the forced hipness of the youth and their faked enthusiasm for the music was evident.

Red's imaging was cool, visually and aurally, but the poor on-air execution soon made the station unlistenable.

Nick Summers

Over the weekend, during commercial breaks, the man who runs the station came on to interview people and say how much fun people were having at an anniversary celebration at the local orphanage.

He was back on the air this morning, after a week off from doing his morning show, and he mentioned the celebration.

Last edited:
This morning someone said if it is happening in this town, you'll hear about it here.

A new Salvation Army store is open, and there were live remote broadcasts, but not during commercial breaks. They played their own music while all this was going on. Each break had interviews, and the first person to show up and say they heard about the place on the radio would get a prize.

I saw a newspaper article today that says my standards station has 23,000 listeners. It doesn't show up in the Arbitron ratings for Charlotte, though it did once several years ago. It has never shown up in the Greensboro ratings, though only people on the west side of that market would really be able to listen, and even then only if they tried.

What concerns me is that it has been sold to the local college for training their students. We were promised it wouldn't change. And the article says nothing about Jeff Rollins or Carl Hampton or John Gleason. It gives the impression that the music comes from the 3000-song playlist the man who runs the place has. On the morning show and before sports events, it does. Yes, there's more variety there than Dial Global has, though in my opinion some of that variety is too much. The station was described as playing music from the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s. There are more oldies and classic hits from those decades than you get from Jeff or Carl, but I think the article forgot a couple of decades. Even the local morning show has some of the new versions of old songs, though not as many as when Dial Global plays them. A mystery that has yet to be solved is "Bubbly".

Over the weekend I read that the college foundation that bought my staion has ought the other station in town. I don't know if this is good or bad news. I do know that they want to decide what the format of the second station will be, and that it too will be used for training college students. I'm not sure why they need two. But the man who runs my station and owned it for 12 years will oversee the change in ownership for the other station. And once again he was praised for knowing how to run a station. My station has made no changes that I'm aware of and that's the way I like it (America's Best Music isn't going to add K.C. and the Sunshine Band, are they? Not that I don't like them, but they just wouldn't sound right.).

Yes, even on the local morning show which leans more oldies. Not just lder songs but louder ones.
I could actually see her doing the Buble/Connick thing and making a Great American Songbook-ish album. I think her voice would be well suited for it. But "Bubbly" isn't in that style at all -- maybe moreso than "I Never Told You," but it's still a stretch to think of it as a good fit for a standards format.

Many of today's artists are probably capable of doing standards. Lady Gaga actually has a very nice voice on her album with Tony Bennett. I enjoyed Sheryl Crow's "Begin the Beguine". I'm sure even Katy Perry would sound good doing the Great American Songbook.

Many of today's artists are probably capable of doing standards. Lady Gaga actually has a very nice voice on her album with Tony Bennett. I enjoyed Sheryl Crow's "Begin the Beguine". I'm sure even Katy Perry would sound good doing the Great American Songbook.
Maybe.

Sara Bareilles proved on the Emmys she can do this kind of music.

And Lady Gaga's duet is on America's Best Music. She hosted "SNL" this past weekend and performed our kind of music. Not when she performed before "Weekend Update" but when the show started. I wasn't absolutely sure I had seen the episode so I ended up seeing some of it a second time, but I finally decided I had seen one of the "Weekend Update" features.

I've been hearing a commercial for The Lettermen for weeks. They are performing at the college that now owns the radio station, though that's because their auditorium is the main fine arts facility for the town. The nursing home where my grandmother lived is the sponsor. Okay, it's more than a nursing home now. It's an "active senior living community". More of the people can live on their own but would rather not.

Can you see where programming for people, who are about to die, is not the best long term advertising target?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom