• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What to happened to Beau Edge on ESPN Austin?

I was listening to the program on the same day that you were when you heard that information. They announced it several different times that day on their program. During one of the announcements they called him "Bad Beau Edge". (That phrase made me wonder if he did something to cause his removal from the company.) They also said to stay tuned because they were going to play a song for his "going away". I did not get to hear the song. (I wanted to hear it because I thought the song might give us a hint about the reason for his parting.) A few days after that they said it was a decision made way above them and they and he wished that he was still there. Today they used the term that one of their co-hosts was "laid-off". That is the only information I have about this situation.

These were on his Twitter page today:

Beau Edge‏@Beauedge
@dmccomasob @chancemock the beard is finally back. #beardsrule #staytuned pic.twitter.com/5jiMptuf7j

Dustin McComas‏@DMcComasOB
@Beauedge haha. There you go. Grow that bad boy.

Beau Edge‏@Beauedge
@DMcComasOB that's after I trimmed it. Got to clean it up since I got "laid off".The beard is powerful bit I know you know that #Staytuned

Bryan Heath‏@bryheath
@Beauedge Any podcasting in your future if you don't end up doing radio again in the near future?

Beau Edge‏@Beauedge
@bryheath that might happen. @ChanceMock and I have multiple things in the works. #staytuned

Man, Radio is a tough business. You think everything is going Ok and they WHAM! Out of the blue get laid off. ESPN Austin is essentially two three hour local shows (must be expensive, hence the trimming) Cowherd and Mike and Mike.

On 1300, I guess its the same formula but instead of having two local shows back to back one is in the morning the other in the afternoon.

It's especially tough when the ratings are so poor for both stations. Frankly (to me) the local shows are almost listenable, it may just be the times I tune in, but they seem to very rarely be talking about sports, the last few times I've listened to 104 in the afternoons (not the mid-day show, I gave up on that one months ago) but Erin's and Sean's they were talking almost exclusively about strip clubs, their personal lives and other general topics that mean nothing to me.

It seems like if it's not the Cowboys the local hosts don't have a clue about what to talk about. And since I can easily listen to either yahoo sports radio, espn, or cbs sports for actual sports talk on my phone, there's no reason to waste time waiting for the local guys to actually discuss something related to sports. Maybe there's just not enough sports in Central Texas for them to talk about, but it seems to me that they could make an effort and talk about what's going on in Houston, Dallas or any one of the major universities that are in the State. Heck, I'd even settle for some UT talk and I hate UT... ;D

If anyone is still listening and/or interested, they announced that J.D. (Lewis) will be leaving "The Game" (local ESPN, The Horn, Noon - 3:00 PM) at the end of the week.
They said that he is leaving voluntarily to go into commercial real estate and will probably find a replacement for him.

They announced that Chip Brown will be coming back to ESPN Austin to take the place of J.D. Lewis (leaving for real estate job) on "The Game".

He did work in Dallas, think that's where he got his start, but recently he was affiliated with OrangeBloods.com other than that I'm not sure.

That is correct, they said that he is with OrangeBloods.

This is a copy and paste of his bio from their site:

chip brown
Orangebloods.com Columnist
Chip Brown is an award-winning reporter who has been covering Texas and the Big 12 for Orangebloods.com since 2008. In the summer of 2010, Brown broke the story nationally about the Pac-10's attempt to add six schools from the Big 12. Brown appeared on ESPN almost daily during the story and was featured for his work by Sports Illustrated and CNBC. During that time, Brown's Twitter following went from 1,800 to 12,000 and is now north of 26,000. Brown received the Rivals.com Distinguished Service Award in 2011 for his realignment coverage.

Brown began his journalism career at SMU, where he was a student and covered the NCAA's "Death Penalty" sanctions against the football program. He worked for The Associated Press from 1988 to 1998 in Dallas, Lubbock and Austin. Brown began covering Texas football in 1992, when he moved to Austin with the AP while also covering the Texas Legislature. In 1998, he began covering Texas and the Big 12 for The Dallas Morning News. In 1999, he received a Headliner's Award for his sports reporting. Brown moved to Dallas and covered the Cowboys from 2001-03 for the DMN before moving back to Austin to resume coverage of the Longhorns in 2003. Brown is a Heisman Trophy voter and Harris Poll voter.

I know there are some on this board who don't like him, but when he was on before at least they were knowledgeable about sports, maybe they'll get back to sports talk versus whatever it is they've recently been doing.

Recognizing that this is anecdotal but it seems like every time I turned to the afternoon programs recently they've been talking about strip clubs, dating, family life, drinking, movies, music and various other general life topics. And since I don't want to waste 15 minutes waiting to see if they're going to talk about sports, I hit the button.

If fact, since I listen to Mike and Mike in the morning I don't think I've even heard a recent promo for the afternoon shows that was even remotely sports related. And I know I haven't heard anything that made me say, hmm, I want to listen to them.

I agree that they often talk about anything and everything other than sports. I really have no interest in who would play this person in a movie or which fictional superhero would win in a cage fight. I would think that there is some sports information to talk about instead of that fiction. Maybe we are a different generation and just don't understand...

ESPN Austin (The Horn) just announced that Charlie Hodge will now have his own show starting next week (June 10, 2013) from 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM.

Long-time radio personality Bucky Godbolt will return to the local air waves
Posted: 11:05 a.m. Wednesday, Aug. 7, 2013

http://www.statesman.com/weblogs/bohl-games/2013/aug/07/godbolt-back-air/

Godbolt back on air

By Kirk Bohls

Long-time radio personality Bucky Godbolt will return to the local air waves on August 19 when he re-unites with former partner Erin Hogan on an afternoon sports talk radio show at 104.9 The Horn.

"I'm excited to be back," said Godbolt, who was fired from AM 1300 The Zone almost three months ago. "They're taking some chances by moving around their lineup."

Godbolt said he will not sign a long-term contract.

"I'm not Howard Stern or Jim Rome," he said. "But they made it worth my while."

Hogan and Godbolt will be on from 3-6 pm while Chip Brown and Chad Hastings will move to a morning show.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom