• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

BEST HERITAGE CHR STATIONS AROUND

I wouldn't count KYLD since they are and always have been a rhythmic CHR. Has WHYI been mentioned here yet? Likely the oldest CHR on a single frequency, over 40 years now!

Excuse me, not only Z100 is an heritage station on NYC. There is another one in nearby Long Island. And you have also forgotten 106.1 WBLI.
Sorry about my mass reponse, it has seems that RADIODISCUSSIONS hasn't been responding to me recently and is really not good, so that mass response was by accident. Although, BLI is a heritage station and you know that

We will celebrate 93.3 FLZ's 25th this late September. I am expected that they will start at 8:00 AM on the 25th and might put Cold Hearted by Paula Abdul on 8:15 AM as they launched that day and time in '89. I know, that rhymed. Thrice!

I like WXXL/Orlando a lot, but I'm not sure how old it is...

WXXL dates back to 1983 as CHR WHLY "Y 106" which began as an MOR/Adult Contemporary station in 1976. WHLY became WXXL in 1989, remaining CHR. So, the 106.7 frequency has been CHR for over 31 consecutive years.

We'll celebrate WWXM's 20th this December. :)
Technically, it was Hot AC back in the mid-90s. But if you can county that Power 98 started out as rhythmic around 1990 and evolved into mainstream CHR.

I haven't seen the whole thread yet but WDCG G-105 Raleigh NC has been CHR more than 30 years.

Considering that CHR is a throwaway format based on playing only the newest disposable hits, and is designed as the entry-level format for middle-school and high school kids to follow until they grow up and graduate to a more grown-up format, how important is "heritage" to that format?

Considering that CHR is a throwaway format based on playing only the newest disposable hits, and is designed as the entry-level format for middle-school and high school kids to follow until they grow up and graduate to a more grown-up format, how important is "heritage" to that format?
Not very. What was Top 40 then is not now.

Not very. What was Top 40 then is not now.

That's true. What was Top 40 then was thrown away when it got old, and replaced with new stuff. When that stuff got old, it was replaced with newer stuff. And it continues like that ad infinitum. Regardless, whether you call it "Top 40" or "Contemporary Hits Radio", it's a celebration of the temporary, the fleetingly famous, and the disposable.

In Waco KWTX-FM "97.5" has been top 40/CHR for some time. Don't know how far back this goes, perhaps the 80's? There was a post some time back indicating that the handle "97.5 FM" for this has been in use since the invention of fire..................

In Waco KWTX-FM "97.5" has been top 40/CHR for some time. Don't know how far back this goes, perhaps the 80's? There was a post some time back indicating that the handle "97.5 FM" for this has been in use since the invention of fire..................

KWTX-FM has been Top 40 since I can remember, Faded, and that covers as far back as the 70s. Wasn't KWTX a Top 40 prior to going newstalk? Heck, the FM may have been Top 40 since sign on.

Staying in Texas, and down in my neck o' the woods, KRBE Houston. Signed on in '58, as beautiful music. Changed to Rock/Top 40 in the 70s, brief stint as AC, then back to top 40 in 1985, which it currently still is.

I'm not sure if either of Zimmer's CHRs in Missouri have been mentioned yet? KTXY/Columbia, MO and KSYN/Joplin, MO have both been CHR for quite a while.

Q94 in Richmond VA has been top 40 since 1972. What other top 40's are older than that. Also its 200,000 watts.

I will admit that the imaging I hear on the iheartmedia stations is very impressive and well done. Jocks like JJ in nyc, jojo on kiis sound amazing and do nice quick topical or quick chuckle breaks without disrupting the music flow, and that is a true talent that few do have, if you can relate in less than 8 then you are special.

With that said there is not a single station in America like kzzp in the 80s. That station broke hits, they took chances, missed on a few, but were months ahead on new songs, new songs that came from no where, no stories, no requests, it truly was ears hearing hits and going with your gut.

Today radio is a follow media programmed by fear, when I'm bored I text stations the power rotations songs 5 months from now, songs not on their radar that they don't even know about yet. That wouldn't happen with kzzp circa 1987, they would be playing the hits before even I knew about them.

I know, nobody cares about Alaska, but KGOT Anchorage deserves a special nod, being in format since 1975. Then there's KWLF Fairbanks since 1987.

I wouldn't count KYLD since they are and always have been a rhythmic CHR. Has WHYI been mentioned here yet? Likely the oldest CHR on a single frequency, over 40 years now!

I'll put a vote in for KYLD however it hasn't quite been 40 years.

KYLD launched in 1992. Prior to that it was KSOL and programmed quite a bit different.

I'll put a vote in for KYLD however it hasn't quite been 40 years.

KYLD launched in 1992. Prior to that it was KSOL and programmed quite a bit different.

He meant WHYI in Miami. :) Not Wild 94.9...

Z99 Mankato, MN: has flirted with Hot AC in the past but has been around since 1974
99.7 KKCK Marshall, MN (Sioux Falls, SD rimshot): Been Top 40 since 1978, also had flirted more Hot AC-ish in the daytime, more CHR-ish at night in parts of the 90's.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom