• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

BEST HERITAGE CHR STATIONS AROUND

JonathanGabel

Regular Participant
With the negativity of the worst CHR stations by a specific radio company still going strong for over six months, let's give this new topic a try. Here is a staring list of the Best CHR stations around:

Z100 - New York
102.7 KIIS-FM - Los Angeles
KISS 108 - Boston
Y100 - Miami
WAPE - Jacksonville
KRBE - Houston
98.5 KRZ - Wilkes Barre-Scranton
FLY 92 - Albany
WIXX - Green Bay
KJ 103 - Oklahoma City
93.7 KRQ - Tucson
95 TRIPLE X - Burlington
99.7 DJX - Louisville
Z104 - Madison
Q94 - Richmond
XL 93 - Grand Forks
106 KHQ - Charlevoix
HITS 106- Kearny
WIFC - Wausau
97 BHT - Wilkes Barre-Scranton
KC 101 - New Haven
K92 - Roanoke
WNOK - Columbia
WEOW - Key West
KIXY - San Angelo
KISR - Ft. Smith
Z100 - Portland
92 MOOSE - Augusta
Z97 - Rutland
98 PXY - Rochester
KGOT - Anchorage
WNCI - Columbus
KCLD - St. Cloud
Z94 - Minot
Y107 - Columbia/Jefferson City
94 ROCK - Elmira
KTRS - Casper
G105 - Durham-Raleigh
WZOK - Rockford
CIL-FM - Carbondale

So there is my list of 40 to start off with. An appropriate amount perhaps. The nearest heritage pop music stations (though not always being straight ahead CHR) nearby me are 94.5 PST, WAYV (which both are in my home state), and WSTW. Noticed I did not mention any of the state names because us fanatics know where these CHR stations are located. Feel free to discuss this new and refreshing subject here! Think warm weather fans!

Don't forget about 93-3 FLZ in Tampa Bay. I got to spend a few days listening to them last week and they sounded spot on in every respect.

93-3 FLZ in Tampa does in fact go back to the days of THE POWER PIG when it debuted in 1989 and what a debut it was! 107-5 THE RIVER in Nashville does in fact go back to their wild and crazy days of Y107. One fan mentioned about WNCI Columbus. If I am correct about this but I think that WNCI is the longest American Top 40 affiliate of all time. I once read that WNCI first aired AT40 with Casey Kasem airing the countdown for the week ending February 14, 1971. Someone here can back me up on that!

I like WXXL/Orlando a lot, but I'm not sure how old it is...

Also really like KDWB/Minneapolis and WZPL/Indianapolis (since it's reporting to the CHR panel again) - I like the music on G105/Raleigh a lot, but their presentation seemed a little slow, and their sense of humor kind of off

And definitely WIXX, just because there's nothing else like it

STATION ONE: 91.5 the Beat

I've been liking 91.5 the Beat, from Kitchener, Ontario. I don't know if that station is really old enough to be considered heritage though, as it's current format according to Wikipedia has only been around since 2005. I like how they occasionally play classic rap songs like "Runnin" by Pharcyde and "I Wish" by Skee Lo.

STATION TWO: WSNX

I'd like WSNX for some of the dance music and rhythmic-leaning music they play and the mix shows. When I tried to listen though, I got a pop up message saying that the iHeartRadio service is only available in the U.S.

STATIONS THREE THROUGH SIX:
WZPL, WHTZ, KRBE, and WNCI are also good stations.

STATION SEVEN:

At the moment, I'm listening to a station from Kenya called Capital FM. I don't know if it's really CHR/Pop or not. But I've heard Everybody's Fool by Evanescence and Carry On by Avenged Sevenfold. At this time they seem to be playing some kind of hip-hop mix show. Clique faded into Diamonds, which then faded into a rap song I've never heard before and then Yellow Tape, by Fat Joe.

Agree with most of these stations mentioned.

My top heritage CHR's would be NCI in Columbus, XL in Orlando, APE in Jacksonville, and FLZ in Tampa.

The only one mentioned here I would disagree with is WNOK in Columbia - too canned these days for my tastes...

atlantaboy said:
I like WXXL/Orlando a lot, but I'm not sure how old it is...

Also really like KDWB/Minneapolis and WZPL/Indianapolis (since it's reporting to the CHR panel again) - I like the music on G105/Raleigh a lot, but their presentation seemed a little slow, and their sense of humor kind of off

And definitely WIXX, just because there's nothing else like it

XL106.7 goes back to the days of Y106 back in the 1980's. WZPL has been a heritage pop music station since their days as KISS 99 back in the early 1980's. KDWB has their history going back to their days with this format as 63 KDWB since the late 1950's/early 1960s!

radiorock89xfm said:
Don't forget WEZB 97.1 FM B97 of New Orleans it's been New Orleans top 40 hits station for more than 25 years!!!!

Despite their time as a talk station B97 WEZB New Orleans has been in the Top 40 scene since 1979. Though it is definitely counted that B97 New Orleans is a true heritage CHR in its own right.

I am surprised there has been no mention this far of KKMG, which dates back at least to the late 80s. Does KBKS count? They've been CHR since 1997.

I haven't listened to them in a long time, but what about WDJX Louisville?

Good calls on the River in Nashville and CIL-FM Carbondale. Illinois has a number of long-time CHRs, like Y103 Decatur and WDBR Springfield.

Though I think they suck, WZYP Huntsville has been around a long time. A few in Louisiana have been around the block too: KQID Alexandria, KSMB Lafayette and WFMF Baton Rouge (though they were WLSS a couple of years in the late 90s).

We'll celebrate WWXM's 20th this December. :)

I concur with KJYO Oklahoma City and KISR in Ft Smith. The nice thing about KISR is its independent so they pretty much play whatever. They are also very current despite being in a small, conservative market.

I like WNKS Charlotte, Wild 94.9 San Francisco, and KIIS real well also.

106.1 KISS FM Seattle has been around since around 1996-97, and of course Z100 has been around forever (Portland). Also add KFFM 107.3 Yakima as it has been CHR for a long time as well.

-crainbebo

the golden boy said:
I haven't listened to them in a long time, but what about WDJX Louisville?

Good calls on the River in Nashville and CIL-FM Carbondale. Illinois has a number of long-time CHRs, like Y103 Decatur and WDBR Springfield.

Though I think they suck, WZYP Huntsville has been around a long time. A few in Louisiana have been around the block too: KQID Alexandria, KSMB Lafayette and WFMF Baton Rouge (though they were WLSS a couple of years in the late 90s).

WDJX (which a few years previous to that was KJ100, an early 80's Top 40 station) came around 1985. Though Y103 Decatur and WDBR Springfield have been around much longer than that.

bchristi said:
I concur with KJYO Oklahoma City and KISR in Ft Smith. The nice thing about KISR is its independent so they pretty much play whatever. They are also very current despite being in a small, conservative market.

I like WNKS Charlotte, Wild 94.9 San Francisco, and KIIS real well also.

KISR first came on in the late Summer of 1971 and have had success as a Top 40 station since. KISR is owned by Stereo 93 Inc. Now that is heritage and independent for you there.

Jonathan, do you have any history on KFFM? I remember they were rhythmic until a few years ago. When exactly did they switch and how long have they been some sort of CHR? It looks like those calls have been on 107.3 in Yakima since 1978.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom