• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WALK 1370

??? ??? ??? ???

Just curious...

Antenna at WALK 1370 ?? Maps do not show much. (Google Maps, etc.)

I sort of forget about this station although receivable here (Connecticut).

Long Island... 1440 and 1520 still alive. Was not there a 1570 ?

Google Maps aren't always the best tool for spotting broadcast towers. Bing Maps, with their "birds-eye" feature, work really well. Here's WALK 1370:

http://binged.it/Zr5tOA

1570 still lives, barely, out by the defunct drive-in theater south of Riverhead. The other remaining Long Island AMs are 540 Islip, 740 Huntington, 1100 Hempstead, 1240 Freeport, 1390 Riverhead and 1580 Patchogue (which now has 1440 sharing its towers).

One could, if one wanted to be extraordinarily pedantic, also include WQEW 1560 in this list, since it transmits from Maspeth, Queens, which is on (if not necessarily "of") Long Island.

I looked it up on that radio-locator site and went to the map.

Coverage area looks minimal.

It looked as though it was on salt water but little detail.

Bing shows it 'close'.

I think WHLI and WALK can be heard days way down the coast (NC area ?). WALK-AM does not have that good of a signal SW Connecticut nor a format I normally listen to.

hmmm forgot WLNG 1600 and it's oldies. It seemed to have a good signal 'around the water'.

shepaug said:
I think WHLI and WALK can be heard days way down the coast (NC area ?). WALK-AM does not have that good of a signal SW Connecticut nor a format I normally listen to.

North Carolina? Connecticut? Are you kidding? In 1995, WALK AM was barely detectable in Rocky Point Long Island, fewer than 20-miles away as the seagulls flew. Have they powered up since then?

hmm..I have quoted something I forget from where..

I was referring to 'over salt water reception'. I have heard that WHLI has been received as such down south ways but recall somewhere it also mentioned WALK 1370.

NO -- WALK does not come in too strong here in SW Connecticut. -- but if their antenna sits next to salt water who knows as to where the fish are --

Pest here is that station on 740. Night 50 watts? southbound ? It wipes out CFZM on 740 in this area anyways.

o--I often sit and listen to the car radio on the 'beaches' etc. Philadelphia area stations might crawl in weak days at times but all I see is that place called Long Island is just a big electrical resister. ya know..enhanced reception..salt water...

shepaug said:
hmm..I have quoted something I forget from where.. I was referring to 'over salt water reception'. I have heard that WHLI has been received as such down south ways but recall somewhere it also mentioned WALK 1370.

NO -- WALK does not come in too strong here in SW Connecticut. -- but if their antenna sits next to salt water who knows as to where the fish are --

Pest here is that station on 740. Night 50 watts? southbound ? It wipes out CFZM on 740 in this area anyways.

o--I often sit and listen to the car radio on the 'beaches' etc. Philadelphia area stations might crawl in weak days at times but all I see is that place called Long Island is just a big electrical resister. ya know..enhanced reception..salt water...

Re 740 AM, you're referring to WGSM. I applied there in '74. Got rejected. Discussion on CFZM popped up on another thread a year ago. WGSM appears to be in compliance w/ night power as far as FCC regs... And speaking of salt water enhancement, Freeport's 1240 WGBB used to bomb the Jersey shore at night, while my cousin in Babylon LI could barely hear their signal.

shepaug said:
WNYH 740.
Night http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WNYH&service=AM&status=L&hours=N (link work?)
Here in Bridgeport,Ct. area they come in good nights and knock CFZM out. CFZM ? Just plays oldies on weekend.

I miss the old Top 40 type AM station (getting old?) but radio itself ? See the new car antennas ?

Shep-- Been away for a while, wasn't aware of the call change. Last I read on R/D, WGSM was struggling with format. Appearantly they tinkered with brokered programming, althought that occurred long after I left LI. 740 format was Standards for many years.

Speaking of getting old, I have fond memories of WGSM's affiliation with Long Island Network News, a service they shared with WGBB in Freeport. That lasted until around 1970.

740 Huntington is WNYH owned by Dr. Yoon. (It's listed as Win Radio). They were Korean and then they switched to playing older Oldies during the week and religious Hymms on Sundays. Then they leased the station to One Caribbean Radio and they subleased part of the day to other people. Former NBC 4 Consumer Reporter Asa Arrons had a show on the station. Then they went to main stream oldies and even carried Dick Bartley's show on the weekend. Then for the past couple years Radio Cantico Nuevo has been leasing the station.

MarcB said:
740 Huntington is WNYH owned by Dr. Yoon. (It's listed as Win Radio). They were Korean and then they switched to playing older Oldies during the week and religious Hymms on Sundays. Then they leased the station to One Caribbean Radio and they subleased part of the day to other people. Former NBC 4 Consumer Reporter Asa Arrons had a show on the station. Then they went to main stream oldies and even carried Dick Bartley's show on the weekend. Then for the past couple years Radio Cantico Nuevo has been leasing the station.

Thanks MarcB. Talk about staying the course.

shepaug said:
hmmm forgot WLNG 1600 and it's oldies. It seemed to have a good signal 'around the water'.

You do know that WLNG-AM 1600 has been off the air since 1996, right?

jfrancispastirchak said:
North Carolina? Connecticut? Are you kidding? In 1995, WALK AM was barely detectable in Rocky Point Long Island, fewer than 20-miles away as the seagulls flew. Have they powered up since then?

In May of 1989, the one time I went to Virginia Beach, Virginia, I actually picked up WALK 1370. In the daytime. It wasn't strong, but it was there...

WALK 1370 would be listenable in the day (in Virginia Beach) with the help of an antenna coil on the back of a home receiver or if you were in a car less than a mile from the ocean. Then Baltimore switched from 1360 to 1370 and wipes out most of WALK unless you find a null spot for Baltimore. WBZ Boston could be heard during the day also but a local is now on 1020. WCAU 1210 and KYW 1060 PA are heard during the day but not strong. Seems LI is heard best in the winter and summer, not so much in the spring and fall.

Earlier this year I heard 1370 WALK on my car radio at around Exit 8 on the New Jersey Turnpike. That was a surprise considering how far inland that is. Maybe it was daytime skywave or some other unusual propagation, but it was coming in well enough to hear the music and IDs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom