• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Markets that are Void of Rhythmic AC/Oldies format

bringbackradio

Frequent Participant
We have had new rhythmic ac's come out in the past two years.  Austin got its "Jammin" back on 103.1 after a 4 year hiatus last year, Hot 96.9 in Boston came on at the beginning of this year, and Heartbeat 106.7 in Little Rock debuted to compete with longtime urban ac KOKY due to that station's DATED sound.  While places like Las Vegas, Phoenix, Fresno, Denver and Bakersfield have maintained rhythmic ac's for the longest time, other places like San Antonio and Albuquerque have lost theirs with no replacement.  In special cases, Sacramento's KHYL leans a bit urban, while KKBA in Corpus Christi is a rhythmic ac but it bills as simply an "AC."

Places that have never had one:
Amarillo
Lubbock
Salt Lake
Reno
Tampa/St. Petersburg - urban ac WTMP bit the dust, but they can always use a rhythmic ac if an urban ac is not tried again here

Amarillo TX had one for a short time KBZD Energy 99-7. It lasted for a year. Salt Lake City had one too KYMV Movin 100.7. The station flipped between Rhythmic AC, CHR and back to Rhythmic AC one last time before the flip to 80's Adult Hits Rewind. Im surprised Albuquerque doesnt have one. For years it was on 95.1 under Sunny and then Hot.

bringbackradio said:
While places like Las Vegas, Phoenix, Fresno, Denver and Bakersfield have maintained rhythmic ac's for the longest time

What Rhythmic AC is still on the air in Phoenix? Movin' 97.5 moved away (pun fully intended) from this sound even before it became Hot 97.5. And as Hot 97.5, they've been Adult CHR, Dance-leaning CHR and Mainstream CHR (anything I'm forgetting).

If you're thinking of Mega 104.3 - they've always been a Rhythmic Oldies station.

KYOT Eva 95.5 is a Gold Based Rhythmic AC/Oldies station. They play New Wave hits and some crossover hits like Christina Aguilera Genie In A Bottle. Honestly both Mega and Eva sound the same

wdb2003 said:
KYOT Eva 95.5 is a Gold Based Rhythmic AC/Oldies station. They play New Wave hits and some crossover hits like Christina Aguilera Genie In A Bottle. Honestly both Mega and Eva sound the same

LOL - I had completely forgotten about Eva.

Columbus, Ohio. WNCI is mainstream pop. The hip-hop station has a weaker signal and avoids most non-urban rhythmic dance/pop music. Nothing in between that I know of, no rhythmic or rhythmic-leaning pop station.

South Bend and surrounding areas, Indiana. WSMK has a weak signal. In fact, most stations there seemed to have weak signals when I was there in 2008.

Chicago area. WBBM and WKSC are rhythmic-leaning pop and therefore seem to mostly focus on newer music. WTMX, however, plays a lot of rhythmic-leaning music for a hot AC station.

SiriusXM satellite radio. The pop channels seem to only play new music. The Pulse has a rock lean. The Blend might be too soft for some people. Rhythmic-leaning pop songs from 2000 to 2012 don't seem to really have a very good home on satellite radio, especially if the Pop2K channel isn't on your radio. Maybe once every couple hours The Heat or BPM will play a song from several years ago. Other than that, I don't know.

Count Wichita on that list. We had one on KMXW ("Magic 92.3") from 2004-February 2007, when it went Classic Country. From what I remember, it was very gold-leaning (mostly 70s and 80s) with no currents. Kansas City could be on that list as well, since they have never had a Rhythmic AC, just an Urban Oldies-turned Urban AC.

bringbackradio said:
We have had new rhythmic ac's come out in the past two years. Austin got its "Jammin" back on 103.1 after a 4 year hiatus last year, Hot 96.9 in Boston came on at the beginning of this year, and Heartbeat 106.7 in Little Rock debuted to compete with longtime urban ac KOKY due to that station's DATED sound. While places like Las Vegas, Phoenix, Fresno, Denver and Bakersfield have maintained rhythmic ac's for the longest time, other places like San Antonio and Albuquerque have lost theirs with no replacement. In special cases, Sacramento's KHYL leans a bit urban, while KKBA in Corpus Christi is a rhythmic ac but it bills as simply an "AC."

Amarillo
Lubbock
Salt Lake
Reno
Tampa/St. Petersburg - urban ac WTMP bit the dust, but they can always use a rhythmic ac if an urban ac is not tried again here

Lubbock did have one, 103.5 JAMZ, KAMZ. It did not stay in the format very long. It was in 2003 I think.

We have had new rhythmic ac's come out in the past two years. Austin got its "Jammin" back on 103.1 after a 4 year hiatus last year, Hot 96.9 in Boston came on at the beginning of this year, and Heartbeat 106.7 in Little Rock debuted to compete with longtime urban ac KOKY due to that station's DATED sound. While places like Las Vegas, Phoenix, Fresno, Denver and Bakersfield have maintained rhythmic ac's for the longest time, other places like San Antonio and Albuquerque have lost theirs with no replacement. In special cases, Sacramento's KHYL leans a bit urban, while KKBA in Corpus Christi is a rhythmic ac but it bills as simply an "AC."

Amarillo
Lubbock
Salt Lake
Reno

San Antonio currently has two, G103.3 and Vibe 107.5.

I don't think Charlotte NC has had "rhythmic" oldies since 2001. I remember when the market had such a station because I was hoping they would bring in the year 2001 with "Also Sprach Zarathustra" which would have been an appropriate choice for the format.

I can't recall if Greensboro NC has had the format but there is something called "beach music" that several area stations have played. It's mostly black artists.

Raleigh NC did have the format a few years ago.

Now Charlotte and Greensboro have both had "old school" or whatever it was called at the time. But that's considered "urban oldies' not "rhythmic oldies".

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom