• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Autogram IC-10

I was just given an Autogram IC-10. I was told it worked fine when they pulled it out during a complete studio upgrade. Other than dust, it looks in good shape. I've vacuumed and given it a spit polish. I know just enough about studio engineering to get me into trouble (to put it mildly). Before I wire a CD player or PC to it for a test drive, is there anything I should check before I plug in the board? BTW, I've got a hard copy of the original manual. Most of it makes sense to me but if there's something in particular I should go back and read, just point me to the specific section.

Thanks for your help.

Those were great consoles and were solid as a rock. I hope you got the power cord with it since they are a bit hard to find these days.

The most common problem with those consoles were the cue amp modules which tended to be problematic. I finally built my own using a automotive-type power amp chip.

Remeber these consoles were made for +4 in so consumer CD players in the like will be a bit soft unless you either have external preamplifiers or have the later generator Autogram input modules that accept consumer level inputs.

I may have a source for some plug in modules if you end up needing any.

About every ten years or so we end up replacing a slew of capacitors in the modules after
starting to notice no low end or low levels on a channel.
It's real fun replacing the power supply caps! *dissasemble*
The old IC-10s we have use octal sockets for the modules so we touch the plugs up with Deoxit.

Thank you, boiseengineer and rcs for your thoughts. I'll keep your advice top-of-mind when I begin working on it. Yes, they sure were durable...even surviving one of my jocks spilling coffee into one of them (at the time we weren't happy but years later, the engineer and I still laugh about it)!

Believe it or not, all the stations I was lucky enough to work at from 1985 until 2008 used an Autogram of one type or another in the control room. We radio people are sure a nostalgic lot, aren't we?

WOW, I haven't thought of an Autogram in many, many years,,when I went to buy one I called Ernie Ankley (I think he was the owner),,he put together a console exactly the way I wanted it,,

Thought I'd follow up. I finally had time to play with this thing today and it's just as solid as its reputation. Even with the manual, I'm going to have a learning curve figuring out exactly what the terminals are feeding. But I went very basic for this first trial run, using alligator clips connected to my iPhone to feed it. Then I used the headphone out to feed some amplified computer speakers to test it out. It fired right up and is happy. The digital timer even works. As excited as I get looking at what's coming out, I'm equally impressed at how older equipment (8100s', Autograms) were so well-built and designed to last.

Cosmetically, it's in good shape as well. There are two of the smaller plastic knobs...one for the headphone program selector and that same sized knob for one of the A/B selector switches...that are broken. Does anyone have a recommendation as where to go for those kinds of parts?

The Autogram beat hell out of everyting competing in the lines of a rotary fader console. Several aftermarket outfits made replacment modules for them. Some were built by Collins, they have black Alondined modules, while the Plano built modules are chrome finish. They're internally the same. You might at some point want to tip the module chassis up and use a nutdriver to snug up the nuts on the screws which hold the module sockets in place. Over time, they may loosen and not ground as well as you'd want. The ones I had used Leightener audio transformers on the output, and were good from nearly DC to nearly blue light. Get it working correctly, and do a -10dB frequency sweep starting at about 30Hz. It's an eye opener.

Incidentally, I was bitching at the old gent who ran the company at an NAB about the end plates on the IC-6, which were straight across the top instead of being machined to fit the sides of the console. He told me the end plates on the IC-10 were the most expensive part of the console, the machining of them cost a fortuna.

The inputs could be transformer couipled or jumpered, depending on what you stuffed in the socket. Treat them to some Caig elixir once every year or so, and they will run till the capacitors dry out. Replace, and keep on going. You aren't likely to bust the thing.

We've got both an IC10 and IC8 in service. The only thing that's really wearing out are the PGM/AUD toggle switches. Lucky to have a few spares.

IC-8? Wasn't that the one with light up pushbuttons? Most of the works on one PC Board? I seem to remember Jack Sellmeyer had something to do with the IC-8, but it's hazy. Maybe he'll chime in and enlighten us - he's the one who first put me onto the IC-10s.

littlejohn said:
IC-8? Wasn't that the one with light up pushbuttons?

I think the IC-8 was introduced by Autogram, as the only Collins IC consoles that I've seen are the IC-6 and the IC-10, both of which are found in the 1974 Collina catalog.

Hmmmm...
The manual for the 8 pot Autogram says it's an AC-8. Can't see the lable. Have to remove the console to see that. Not sure what the newer somewhat parted out 8 pot Autogram in storage says on its lable.
All have idenical parts.

I have one here in chicago i would like to sell . contact me @ [email protected] for info ... i am ready to move it so ...

thank you , and i apologize if this sort of thing is a frowned on. i figured it wouldnt hurt , and i do really need the $ as i got injured and am not working .

thanks !!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom