• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic FM dial

MRFLASHPORT

Frequent Participant
Just got back from spending a week in Santo Domingo, and glad I packed my Grundig Traveler G8.
This is the first time in about 20 years I've actually been outside the USA, and I'm glad I did. Unlike the stale, boring corporate wasteland the FM dial has become in the states, down there I was treated to virtually EVERY music format (except country/western). I heard: AAA, Urban, of course lots of traditional local Dominican music, Top40, AC, THREE jazz stations, two classical, and one that played STANDARDS- as in the old school easy listening. There was a station on every 200KHz.

What I did NOT hear: talk radio, all news, or spoken word other than news/weather breaks. All of the stations had a stereo pilot, most actually sounded very well engineered, one of the stations even mentioned HD radio (HIJL 102.9), though I did not have an HD radio handy to verify this or see if anyone else was transmitting in HD.

It was a nice treat to hear FM radio alive and well in other parts of the world, and further proved why corporate stale radio in the states just plain SUCKS. Most of the stations I enjoyed down in the DR also stream online.

MRFLASHPORT said:
What I did NOT hear: talk radio, all news, or spoken word other than news/weather breaks. .

You missed Z-101 and its bevy of imitators.

Z-101 is a talk station with a bit of music tossed in. The morning show, "El Gobierno de la Mañana" (The Morning Government) is a hardcore government watchdog program. It has been #1 en the Republic for the last 26 years.

In recent decades, the station has simulcast with other FMs around the country.

Overall, the market is over-radioed and most stations lose money and change formats almost constantly. I've been told that the top 5 to 6 stations take about 75% of all the radio revenue, despite there being over 60 AM and FM stations in Santo Domingo alone.

Isn't CDN 92.5 there news/talk/sports? I caught it on e-skip from FL 2 years ago w/ ESPN Baseball, IIRC.

That HD station can be heard online, www.raicesradio.org.do ....one of the last of the true beautiful music stations in the world.

More and more FM stations are moving to spoken word in the USA, and give Dom Rep time....with music licensing issues, and kids downloading music, it's just a matter of time. Sure it won't happen overnight.

cd

cd637299 said:
ld.

More and more FM stations are moving to spoken word in the USA, and give Dom Rep time....with music licensing issues, and kids downloading music, it's just a matter of time. Sure it won't happen overnight.

Music licensing is not a big issue in the DR.

But there have been nearly-all-talk stations in the DR since 1986.

Mexico City has 8 or 9 all talk full signal full power FMs... and has had a significant number of talk stations for about 20 years.

DavidEduardo said:
cd637299 said:
ld.

Music licensing is not a big issue in the DR.

But there have been nearly-all-talk stations in the DR since 1986.

Mexico City has 8 or 9 all talk full signal full power FMs... and has had a significant number of talk stations for about 20 years.

Gotcha. I may have been hasty on the downloading thing for other countries, as well.

cd

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom