English Language Radio In Peurto Rico
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: English Language Radio In Peurto Rico

anatharadiorefugee

English Language Radio In Peurto Rico

Are there any popular stations in PR broadcasting music targeting the 18 -34 croud? I would also like to know if there are any stations in PR that use English as its primary broadcast language regardless of format or target demo. Thanks in advance for the info.

Re: English Language Radio In Peurto Rico

Quote Originally Posted by anatharadiorefugee
    Are there any popular stations in PR broadcasting music targeting the 18 -34 croud? I would also like to know if there are any stations in PR that use English as its primary broadcast language regardless of format or target demo. Thanks in advance for the info.
    As has been stated before, the only commercial non-religious San Juan station 100% in English is AM news / talker WOSO, which gets low, if any, ratings.

The WIVV / WBMJ / WGCB (All AM) "Rock Radio" netwok ("Rock" as in "I am the Rock" and not as in "Rock n Roll") is religious.

The significant stations for 18-34 (some being multi-FM networks) are WKAQ-FM "KQ-105", WMEG-FM "Mega", WODA-FM "Reggaetón 9-4", WPRM-FM, Cadena Salsoul, and WXYX-FM "La X". Together, those 5 networks get just about 50% of the 18-34 shares.

There are about 120 stations licensed in Puerto RIco, including non-commercial ones.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo
    As has been stated before, the only commercial non-religious San Juan station 100% in English is AM news / talker WOSO, which gets low, if any, ratings.

The WIVV / WBMJ / WGCB (All AM) "Rock Radio" netwok ("Rock" as in "I am the Rock" and not as in "Rock n Roll") is religious.

The significant stations for 18-34 (some being multi-FM networks) are WKAQ-FM "KQ-105", WMEG-FM "Mega", WODA-FM "Reggaetón 9-4", WPRM-FM, Cadena Salsoul, and WXYX-FM "La X". Together, those 5 networks get just about 50% of the 18-34 shares.

There are about 120 stations licensed in Puerto RIco, including non-commercial ones.
    WODA-FM hasn't been "Reggaetón 9-4" for over a year... it's just "La 9-4" now.

anatharadiorefugee

Perhaps I didn't ask the question I needed answered. Let me try it this way: What radio station would you buy if you needed to reach the 18-34 English language proficient demo in San Juan?

Quote Originally Posted by Identnut

My bad... in any case, that's the format... and they still have "Reggaetón 9-4" on their sales material. Probably SBS is short of cash to print new sales material...
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Perhaps I didn't ask the question I needed answered. Let me try it this way: What radio station would you buy if you needed to reach the 18-34 English language proficient demo in San Juan?
    WKAQ network and WMEG network. Both are big in 18-34, both play some English language music, both do well in higher income listeners, both have huge cume.

If you are considering running English language creative, you'd have to check if they accept English spots. You also have to consider whether running English copy in a place where 99% of the population has Spanish as their first language is going to do the right selling job.

Interestingly, SBS thinks that station is still called Reggaetón 9-4 since that is what they put as a slogan on their Arbitron SIP.

Their own self-submitted form for the current survey period says,

"Winter 2013 Station Information Profile (SIP) on File with Arbitron
    Call Letter: WODA-FM
    Frequency: 94.7
    Station Name: REGGAETON 94 LA NUEVA
    Format: Latino Urban"

Interestingly, SBS thinks that station is still called Reggaetón 9-4 since that is what they put as a slogan on their Arbitron SIP.

Their own self-submitted form for the current survey period says,

"Winter 2013 Station Information Profile (SIP) on File with Arbitron
    Call Letter: WODA-FM
    Frequency: 94.7
    Station Name: REGGAETON 94 LA NUEVA
    Format: Latino Urban"
    Funny thing since they were shying away from the word reggaetón since they were widening their urban format for other genres... You're just as likely to hear Flo Rida or Gangnam Style as you are to hear Daddy Yankee or Don Omar there nowadays.

Still Latin Urban, but not as heavy on the reggaetón as they used to be.

According to Wiki, WOSO closed in October. Does this mean there is now no English radio at all in PR?

Quote Originally Posted by BMR View Post
    According to Wiki, WOSO closed in October. Does this mean there is now no English radio at all in PR?
    Other than some English on religious broadcasters WBMJ 1190 and WIVV 1370, there is no English language radio on the Island. This is a reflection of the infinitely smaller number of Continentals living in PR as well as the disastrous economic conditions which have reduced radio ad expenditures by at least 60% over the last 5 to 6 years.

Of course, English language music continues to be played on the CHR and AC stations.

A few more details at the Caribbean Business website http://www.caribbeanbusinesspr.com/n...ll-101633.html
    Last edited by DavidEduardo; 03-22-2015 at 07:10 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast