• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Advice for a home studio mic purchase

I bought my EV RE320 for only $214 including the shipping. ;D

Found a neat company that makes acoustic panels with recycled coffee bags (burlap) cheap.

They work great and smell rather good.

We use them in two studios.

surfdude said:
The RE320 has a more condenser-like sound than the RE20, without picking up too much room noise.

I finally got the RE320 hooked into my studio today. Wow -- instant upgrade to the sound and just as good as it was in the test environment. It does yield a condenser-like sound which confirms what surfdude and others online have said in testing the microphone. It's kind of a blend of a condenser and dynamic, without being too heavily tilted in either direction.

The proximity-effect resistance of the RE320 was very nice. I like a good, flat sound, and this fit the bill with a nice little bump in the highs right around 10 kHz. Using a Pearstone metal pop filter, the bass was clean and flat. I played around with the "kick drum" EQ switch but didn't care for it at all. Some people might like it; my voice took on an overly-nasal sound with it engaged.

I do have one question for RE320, RE20 and RE27 users: How far from the mic are you when recording? Do you like to get right on the mic or stay a few inches off?

First and foremost it's about the performance, not the mic.

With that said... in the $300 range you can easily find on eBay a Blue Baby Bottle or a Rode NT2. Both quality LDC (large diaphragm condenser) mics. IMHO the NT2 comparable to a Neumann TLM 103. I've owned both mics and the NT2, for the money, gives the TLM103 a run.

Saw your post about the C214. A scaled down version of it's big brother, the 414B ULS which is a fantastic mic. Used those on air in Cleveland and Raleigh. Takes some EQ to dial it in but when it is... big! Pairs well to a Valley 400 or Symetrix 528.

EV mics? NOT a fan. Even for radio. Best suited as a kick drum mic. IMO makes a better paper weight.

Again, not every mic works for every voice. The revered U87... not friendly for my voice. The 416 is the one for me.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom