• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KOLA 99.9

C

cspotrun

saw an ad for Mornings at KOLA in san bernadino, redlands, is brian casey still there? just wondering if its for real or an eeo posting with no job...

On January 2, morning show co-hosts Brian Casey and Patti Banner were fired, along with producer Ashley Turner. That leaves newsman David Wylie. And these firings can't be blamed on Clear Channel---KOLA is owned by Anaheim Broadcasting.

Say it isn't so! I listened online, and loved Brian and Patty. What's on in mornings now? I hope they resurface somewhere else.

KOLA has been rather successful with it over the years, and they have owned the format, maybe they are thinking the morning show was holding them back, nothing personal but the morning show talked too much and they were not funny of interesting, IF that is what they were trying to be. don't like to see anybody out of work so i wish them both well...

OHIODEAL said:
It sounds like a possible format change in the near future?

Unlikely. KOLA is virtually tied for #1 in billings in the market.

The station is generally around 6th or 7th in middays and afternoons in 25-54 but has been more like 10th to 12th in mornings. This seems to be a fix for an underperforming daypart.

Thank you david, this is the 1st time in several years i actually agree with you, Happy New Year!

So Brian & Patti have exited KOLA, Mark & Brian left KLOS, Hunter & Scott left 95X in Syracuse, Mark & Mo are gone from WEBN in Cincinnati, Andrew Zepeda and his crew (which included his wife!) were fired from WWWM in Toledo...

Tell me, Mister Eduardo, have radio listeners' tastes changed to the point where they want music and not talk and thus the traditional "morning team" is on the way out?---figuratively and literally?

the morning team from kola was probably let go because they were being paid too much money, without the numbers to justify the pay... one "Talented" person could do that morning show for less and WITHOUT a 3rd person/"Producer"... don't want to sound like an old fart, BUT in the "DAY" before morning zoo's and the like, morning shows were made up of ONE person who carried the morning show, people like larry Lujack, Robert W. Morgan, Charlie Tuna.. there was less talk, more Personality and MUSIC.

And don't forget Dick Haynes, "Haynes at the Reins." He had three lengthy stays at KLAC in Los Angeles: 1945-58, 1959-66, and 1971-80. He also worked at KXLA and KFOX. He was well-known and well-loved for his corny jokes. Example: "When Chill Wills was born, his mother said, 'I just had a chill.'" Haynes also made many appearances on Hee Haw. In August of 1980, three months before he died, he was honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

LARadioRewind said:
So Brian & Patti have exited KOLA, Mark & Brian left KLOS, Hunter & Scott left 95X in Syracuse, Mark & Mo are gone from WEBN in Cincinnati, Andrew Zepeda and his crew (which included his wife!) were fired from WWWM in Toledo...

Tell me, Mister Eduardo, have radio listeners' tastes changed to the point where they want music and not talk and thus the traditional "morning team" is on the way out?---figuratively and literally?

The PPM has shown that much of the share that big morning shows got was from the memorability of the show's name, not the actual listening. In the PPM, the excess talk was seen to be a negative... some shows adapted, others were canceled.

DavidEduardo said:
LARadioRewind said:

The PPM has shown that much of the share that big morning shows got was from the memorability of the show's name, not the actual listening. In the PPM, the excess talk was seen to be a negative... some shows adapted, others were canceled.

Isn't it also true that mornings have not proven to be as popular a day shift as advertisers once thought, as revealed by PPM? I believe mid-days have shown to be more valuable now. So, expensive morning shows are no longer worth the money.

Never heard them actually ON AIR. But on radioonline.com you can get these little telescoped airchecks from different stations.

Heard Brian and Patti. Not great.

They're gone because they SUCK.

Jimc said:
Never heard them actually ON AIR. But on radioonline.com you can get these little telescoped airchecks from different stations.

Heard Brian and Patti. Not great.

They're gone because they SUCK.
DITTO.

AM FM listener said:
Isn't it also true that mornings have not proven to be as popular a day shift as advertisers once thought, as revealed by PPM? I believe mid-days have shown to be more valuable now. So, expensive morning shows are no longer worth the money.

Mornings indeed have a lower PUR (Persons using radio) than 10-3 or 3-7, but advertisers still spend more against that daypart than any other. It's a habit, but it will likely decline over time.

i sent anmp3 & resume butITS CALIFORNIA! and you don't have to be phil mickelson or tiger woods to worry about the TAX situation in california, i have 2 nephews who live out there, they're NOT rich, and california wants to keep them that way with their High Tax structure, the house i have here would be over a million dollars out there, so i'm living BETTER then they are for LESS, i live
in a state that has NO state income taxes, and it would have to be alot to make up for it. i doubt if i'll get the call, but its something for anybody to think about who is thinking about working and living in California, maybe the worst state to keep any of your money...

Hey, we have the nation's highest sales tax, highest income tax, highest gasoline tax, highest utility taxes, highest vehicle registration fees and third-highest capital gains tax, plus our "California redemption value" which requires you to pay an extra five or ten cents when you buy a can or bottle of soda or juice. And in last November's election, a majority of Californians voted to raise the sales tax another 0.25% because, after all, it's "for the children." (Actually, almost all of the aforementioned taxes go to the general fund to help provide pay raises and full pensions to government workers and union members.) So don't you dare say that this is not a good state in which to work and live!

Oh wait...I don't think I made a very good case.

A few months ago, KOLA dropped all the 1960s hits and now plays 1970s-80s-90s. In the April 2013 Arbitron ratings for Riverside-San Bernardino, Spanish-language KLYY is number one with a 7.8% audience share. KOLA jumped from a 6.2 to a 7.3 and is in second place. Is the dramatic ratings increase an omen that '60s oldies are a "dying breed"? Or could it be that the increase is mostly because a lot of people are hearing about the station from friends and listening because the format is new and they'll quickly get tired of KOLA, especially the '90s music, and the ratings will start dropping? How many listeners would rather hear '90s than '60s? A lot of people who weren't even born until after the '60s ended have wound up liking '60s music and hating '90s music. Motown/Beatles/Beach Boys vs. rap/grunge/alternative---not really a fair fight, is it?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom