• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Two Towers near Santa Fe and US285

I have observed two AM towers at Santa Fe and US 285. I am sure one is KGNU-AM 1390KHz. Since the FCC info shows this station is non-directional, why are there two towers on that site?

Happy Holidays to all. I am getting close to the AM broadcast band with my 1957 Heathkit DX-100 transmitter on 1967 KHz.

Is the second tower closer to Jewell and does it have a 10 bay FM side mounted? That tower is the original 990 tower and it still has the aux. for KOSI on it.

No FM bays on either tower. Tower closer to Dartmouth is larger of the two on the site. According to the FCC specifications the "little" tower on the site is KGNU-AM 1390 at 5KW. This "little" tower has no lights. The larger tower is lit. Is the larger tower a relic?

If that other tower's just NE of KGNU than it's this:

Registration Number: 1052370
File Number: A0061671
FAA Study: 86-ANM-0184-OE
Date Constructed: 02/13/1987
NEPA: N
Structure Info
Structure Type: TOWER
Structure Coordinates: 39-39-34.0 N 105-0-46.0 W (NAD 83)
Structure Coordinates: 39-39-34.0 N 105-00-44.1 W (Converted to NAD 27)
Structure Address: 3150 S Vallejo
Structure City: Englewood, CO
Painting & Lighting Info FAA Circular #: 70/7460-1G
FAA Chapters: 3, 4, 5, 9
Elevation Info Site Elevation: 1615.4 meters
Height of Structure: 121.3 meters
Overall Height Above Ground: 121.3 meters
Overall Height Above Mean Sea Level: 1736.7 meters
Owner Info MILLER, BRUCE L
3251 S ZUOLI
ENGLEWOOD, CO 80110
(303) 761-0515

Thanks for info. I am looking for non-used AM sticks. I would like to use them for 160 Meter (1800KHz-2000KHz) Ham Radio Contests. Perhaps the tallest un-used tower in Denver is the former Denver Cab tower in the Platte Valley, North of Downtown. While this is not an AM stick (with a ground system) it could be shunt fed.

CatFM said:
Is the second tower closer to Jewell and does it have a 10 bay FM side mounted? That tower is the original 990 tower and it still has the aux. for KOSI on it.
If you're talking about the Ruby Hill site, it was also (Still is?) the home to 99.5 as well

Cheers & 73 ;D

No, I am aware of the Ruby Hill site. This is what appears to be an AM stick with no operating transmitter connected to it. There has been a few AM
sticks in CO not used. The Breckenridge AM went silent and the stick was up for awhile (now gone). I never looked for the Leadville AM that went silent
a number of years ago. That stick maybe still be there, unused.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom