• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Question relating to NBC Radio Network on 22 November 1963 (JFK)

The ABC Director of Operations was Nick George and yes, he did speak on the air a few times that afternoon to announce network plans and to throw it to Bob Clark in Dallas. As far as CBS's evening coverage, once the Evening News with Cronkite was over at 8pm, Harry Reasoner anchored the rest of the night's coverage, including a hastily prepared videotape and film biography of John F. Kennedy.

I agree. Don Gardiner did a superb anchoring job on ABC Radio. Alan Jackson was very good on CBS Radio...better than his colleague Dallas Townsend. On NBC Radio , I personally couldn't stand Morgan Beatty. He sounded like a know-it-all and was more of a commentator than he was an anchor, claiming to have the inside scoop on the Fair Play for Cuba Committee and sounding as if he knew everything and knew far more than the correspondents in the field. He also made numerous assumptions about various aspects of the story that were proven to be false. He also on numerous occassions announced a switch to washington and assumed it was to the house of representatives when in fact it was to either a member of senate or a correspondent who was talking about the senate.

The problem with this scenario was that in fact, Rather never spoke to Eddie Barker during that first hour as he claims he did. Barker was on the air continuously from 12:40 pm until 1:35 pm that afternoon and swears that he never spoke on the phone with anyone. He even told Rather this years later because he was getting tired of hearing Rather say that they spoke. (Read Eddie Barker's biography...published shortly before his death). Rather's response was "Well I'm glad we finally have that sorted out." Even so, Rather continued to make that claim in recent years.

I had an opposite take on Morgan Beatty in that I appreciated the fact that unlike some other commentators that night and weekend, he was willing to buck the trend of blaming American society for the murder and properly label the President as a victim of the Cold War (once the matter of Oswald's background was announced). Alan Jackson's self-censorship of Clint Hill's "He's dead" comment when reading the wire copy is the thing I always remember most about him from the coverage.

With more radio coverage from CBS, NBC and ABC now accounted for, let's hope we'll some day see some uncut Mutual coverage emerge someday as it is by far the Holy Grail of JFK Radio material I can think of.

Having never heard more than a few minutes of Mutual coverage, what was it that made it better than the other three networks in your opinion?

I didn't say it was better, I just said it was the last remaining Holy Grail among JFK radio coverage that we haven't been able to find other than about 20 minutes collectively from 11/22.

In Defense of Morgan Beatty

He also on numerous occassions announced a switch to washington and assumed it was to the house of representatives when in fact it was to either a member of senate or a correspondent who was talking about the senate.

Let's be fair. At that time, only the House of Representatives had facilities for live broadcasting from the press gallery and from some interview sites on the House side. The Senate did not. The Senate liked it that way, made them more "exclusive." And, at that point in the coverage, I don't think anyone was concerned about the origination point, they just wanted copy.

Beatty knew that since he frequently broadcast his NOTH pieces from the "House Radio Gallery."

Last edited:
I agree. Don Gardiner did a superb anchoring job on ABC Radio. Alan Jackson was very good on CBS Radio...better than his colleague Dallas Townsend. On NBC Radio , I personally couldn't stand Morgan Beatty. He sounded like a know-it-all and was more of a commentator than he was an anchor, claiming to have the inside scoop on the Fair Play for Cuba Committee and sounding as if he knew everything and knew far more than the correspondents in the field. He also made numerous assumptions about various aspects of the story that were proven to be false. He also on numerous occassions announced a switch to washington and assumed it was to the house of representatives when in fact it was to either a member of senate or a correspondent who was talking about the senate.

Agree with you about Dallas Townsend at the beginning, he was getting so emotional he wasn't able to get the words out

Personally, listening to NBC Radio, I really thought Russ Ward, Morgan Beatty and Joseph Michaels all did an excellent job, while Don Gardiner was superb on ABC, not so much a fan of either Alan Jackson or Dallas Townsend on CBS

Listening to the NBC coverage I feel they were well ahead of the other two networks in terms of radio, while in terms of television, CBS and NBC were both impressive

Listening to the NBC coverage I feel they were well ahead of the other two networks in terms of radio, while in terms of television, CBS and NBC were both impressive
Frank McGee repeating someone else's words, though, didn't have quite the same impact as Walter Cronkite getting emotional.

On CBS Radio, when the UPI bulletin comes in, Alan Jackson seems to heave a big sigh, then reads the text with the preamble, "Ladies and gentlemen, the president is dead." He finishes the flash, there's a pause, then someone tries to roll some music, playing at the wrong speed. He is also the one who pauses, then skips over the earlier wire service report that Cllint Hill said to Scotty Reston, "He's dead."

On ABC, stalwart Don Gardner reads the flash, says, "Let us pray," silent pause (which sounds edited in on the version I've heard), then turns it over to Quincy Howe for comparison to other assassinations.

NBC Radio had Edwin Newman reading takes as they were fed to him. He gets the one about the "two priests who were with President Kennedy say he is dead," drop his voice in volume and says, "I will repeat that, with the deepest regret, two priests who were with President Kennedy say that he is dead." (Emphasis mine. Does anyone remember if they were carrying TV audio at the time the official announcement is made?

And which network (I think NBC-TV) that reported the first official White House confirmation of the death was a shot of the flag being lowered to hast-staff.

CBS Radio reported that President Kennedy was dead BEFORE the news moved on the UPI wire. IIRC there was a radio producer who was listening to a conversation Dan Rather was a having with someone else and Rather allegedly asked a question"He's Dead" and the producer took that as a statement. And then gave it to the on air reporters who ran with it. On the TV side Walter Cronkite (Again IIRC) stated that this was unconfirmed

On CBS Radio, when the UPI bulletin comes in, Alan Jackson seems to heave a big sigh, then reads the text with the preamble, "Ladies and gentlemen, the president is dead." He finishes the flash, there's a pause, then someone tries to roll some music, playing at the wrong speed. He is also the one who pauses, then skips over the earlier wire service report that Cllint Hill said to Scotty Reston, "He's dead."

On ABC, stalwart Don Gardner reads the flash, says, "Let us pray," silent pause (which sounds edited in on the version I've heard), then turns it over to Quincy Howe for comparison to other assassinations.

NBC Radio had Edwin Newman reading takes as they were fed to him. He gets the one about the "two priests who were with President Kennedy say he is dead," drop his voice in volume and says, "I will repeat that, with the deepest regret, two priests who were with President Kennedy say that he is dead." (Emphasis mine. Does anyone remember if they were carrying TV audio at the time the official announcement is made?

And which network (I think NBC-TV) that reported the first official White House confirmation of the death was a shot of the flag being lowered to hast-staff.

NBC was carrying the TV audio when Robert McNeil reported President Kennedy's death. Frank McGee was repeating McNeil's words as they had been having trouble patching the phone into the studio. They got that issue corrected during the report but McGee did not know that so he kept repeating McNeil's words eve n when McNeil was clearly audible

I am reading the Minneapolis Star Newspaper(old afternoon newspaper for Minneapolis) and they have the UPI story as moved on the broadcast wires regarding President Kennedy's death as was broadcast on all the networks. Interesting to see the newspaper wire had the same basic items as the broadcast wire.

Interesting to see the newspaper wire had the same basic items as the broadcast wire.

I remember reading that in those days, Dallas wasn't staffed like a major market. I don't know the time stamp on the story you read, but because it was a breaking story all day, they decided to run the same story on both wires.

I remember reading that in those days, Dallas wasn't staffed like a major market. I don't know the time stamp on the story you read, but because it was a breaking story all day, they decided to run the same story on both wires.

Minneapolis Star was the afternoon paper for Minneapolis and what they ended up doing was putting the story as a bulletin and running the rest of the paper as normal. Likely did not have time to a complete redo of the paper before press time. Also (at the time) the St Cloud was an afternoon paper and the front page was the Kennedy Assassination put the inside was as normal. The Times had the AP story, the Star had the UPI story

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom