WDIS/1170 - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: WDIS/1170

Re: WDIS/1170

It wouldn't cover Mattapan/Dorchester well enough?
    I'll have to double-check the coverage maps and get back to you!

I stand corrected. I was thinking of a different station...

The best idea was already mentioned -- sell the license to UMass, turn it off, and let the Orleans 1170 go ND and possibly increase power (still daytime only, most likely). That may be the only option.

Remembering them with crappy audio to gowithe poor signal. Dan,the name of what you're trying to remember is Copperweld.
    -- <br />Dave Gardiner

I worked there in the early 80's. It was a good sounding station then.

The shame is that it is one of those tucked-away areas that has no real local radio service. The closest stations are WMRC Milford, which I don't think reaches the area, and WARL Attleboro which is directional the other way.

If they could just inch up the transmitter a bit further north to cover Framingham, Natick, Wellesley, Dover.......

I'm sure the crew at WUMB would LOVE it if they could squeeze a few watts out at night on WFPB 1170. Even a relatively low-wattage night power might work relatively well in the fairly-saltwater-swampy Cape.

What's it protecting at night, anyways? WHAM? WWVA? Something else? You'd think given the geography that it wouldn't be too hard to make a DA that ensured nothing west of Falmouth heard WFPB...but the AM allocation rules have never made a hell of a lot of sense to me, either.

FWIW, I'm not sure they could easily go ND just because WDIS went away. There's still WCTF in Vernon, near Hartford, CT.

Also FWIW, one does wonder if the callsign "WDIS" is worth more than the facility is. I have to think the owners have been trying to cash in on that for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronread

What's it protecting at night, anyways? WHAM? WWVA? Something else? You'd think given the geography that it wouldn't be too hard to make a DA that ensured nothing west of Falmouth heard WFPB...but the AM allocation rules have never made a hell of a lot of sense to me, either.
    I believe it's WWVA. They seem to own 1170 on the eastern seaboard at night. There doesn't appear to be any other 1170 that stays on the air at night in the northeastern USA. Looks like a holdover from the AM nighttime clear channel era.

I would hate for WUMB to get ANY more frequencies. That being said, I believe Orleans came on first, circa 1970. I think they were directional then too. I don't know why. Maybe they wanted to feed the fishies or maybe they had to protect WKOX/1190? I know WCRI is on 1180 now so that may prove a little problematic.

WUMB already has enough frequencies, as it is. I think a station like WJIB would be perfect fit to be repeated on 1170. I believe that WDIS could go ND with 250 watts for the time being (like it did back in '78 when it first came to the air as WJMQ) until a new site could be had. Back in the day (1978), it wasn't bad at all, really. It sounded quite decent. Just a thought.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast