• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Retro Wisconsin KFIZ - TV34 Fondulac WI 11/28/70 - 11/30/70

djhend1

New Participating Member
Saturday 11/28/70

4:00 pm
RFD - Farm Report

4:30
Avengers

5:30
Upbeat - Music

6:30
Movie Kenya - Country of Treasure (1968)

8:30
Sports Forum - Guest was Elroy Hirsch

9:00
Kups Show - 4 hour Variety Show

1:00 AM
Movie Kronos (1957)

Sunday 11/28/70

4:00 PM
Roy Rodgers

5:00
Movie Master of the World (1961)

Wrestling

7:30
Movie High Noon (1952)

Crossfire

10:00
Movie Santa Fe Stampede (1938)

11:30
News

Monday 11/30/70

2:00 PM
I Love Lucy

2:30
Wylma and Steve

3:00
Hazel

3:30
Uncle Doug

4:30
Sesame Street

5:30
Star Trek

Don Horn - Football

7:00
Death Valley Days

7:30
Movie The Lodger (1944)

It Takes a Thief

10:00
Movie Hercules and the Black Pirate (1963)

11:30
News

I suspect that the newscasts just before sign-off consisted of an off-camera announcer reading wire copy while viewers saw a "News" slide.

This was common practice at UHF independents back then.

Was "Kup's Show" actually a five-days-a-week hour-long show with KFIZ-34 deciding to show the week's output back-to-back in one sitting??

Joseph_Gallant said:
I suspect that the newscasts just before sign-off consisted of an off-camera announcer reading wire copy while viewers saw a "News" slide.

This was common practice at UHF independents back then.

Was "Kup's Show" actually a five-days-a-week hour-long show with KFIZ-34 deciding to show the week's output back-to-back in one sitting??

According to what tv guide tells me the "kups show" aired on Channels 18 (WVTV) and 34 (KFIZ). It aired for four hours on both stations. The tv guide lists the time of the show as Approx 4 hrs. The tv guide description almost leads me believe it aired live but I find that highly unlikely.

djhend1 said:
Joseph_Gallant said:
According to what tv guide tells me the "kups show" aired on Channels 18 (WVTV) and 34 (KFIZ). It aired for four hours on both stations. The tv guide lists the time of the show as Approx 4 hrs. The tv guide description almost leads me believe it aired live but I find that highly unlikely.
...in that era, Kup's Show was pre-recorded at WMAQ-TV/5 Chicago (Irv Kupcinet was a longtime celebrity columnist for the Chicago Sun-Times, serving much the same function Herb Caen was at the San Francisco Chronicle) and syndicated both commercially and to PBS affiliates in markets where commercial stations didn't pick it up. It indeed ran for four hours a week, I believe there may have been two weekend showings in Chicago (two hours on Saturday nights/Sunday mornings after The Weekend Tonight Show) and the remainder on Sunday nights after the 10:00 newscast on WMAQ-TV, with the four hours being shown the following weekend on WVTV/18 and KFIZ-TV/34. The show was later moved to WTTW/11, Chicago's main PBS outlet, where it pretty much became a two-hour weekly show strictly airing on PBS affiliates...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom