• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Can a cluster in the same market support two top 40s? (Rhythmic and pure pop)

bringbackradio

Frequent Participant
Just the other day in St. Louis CC lanched a rhythmic format on KBWX (where urban KMJM used to be before a frequency switch). KBWX has the same owner now as longtime KSLZ (top 40 pop).

Other examples of two top 40s being under the same cluster:
Austin - KHFI (pop) and KPEZ (rhythmic)
Atlanta - WWPW (pop) and WWLD (rhythmic)

In many markets, two stations under the same cluster can carry the same format as long as one of each is aimed at a different audience based on demos or age, like a mainstream urban and an urban ac as well. Another example is two country/western stations in the same cluster: one is new country while the other is classic country (i.e. KVET and KASE in Austin). So is it possible for a rhythmic to complement its pop sister station in the longterm?

Well, if it can work in Seattle, Boston, Tucson and Portland (Oregon), why not. Clear Channel has managed to develope a good strategy and I wouldn't be surprised if they use this approach in other markets as a way to protect their dominant property or keep another station from flipping to the same format.

It can work if the owner of both stations don't mind them competing with each other. For nearly all formats, I prefer 2 different owners doing top 40, or any other format. In Chicago, WBBM-FM (B96) & WKSC-FM (1035 Kiss FM) do well since they're owned by CBS (B96) & CC (1035 Kiss FM). If CBS were doing top 40 on 2 of their stations, B96 would most likely be the strong one, primarily due to heritage. If CC had top 40 on 2 of their stations, they would try to make Kiss FM the strong one, & the other one not as strong, but the ratings would be close.

If Hubbard Broadcasting decides to expand their radio empire beyond their buyout of select Bonneville stations, you can expect Hubbard to follow Chicago's example where one station will be the top biller, & the other a flanker. They deliberately keep WILV a flanker in order to keep WTMX the top rater & biller in their cluster. At least CC has made Urban station WGCI & Urban AC WVAZ compete, but are both top billers in their Chicago cluster.

Syracuse had one pure Top 40 (WNTQ) and one rhythmic (WWHT) for about a year until WWHT flipped to a pure pop station a couple months back. Guess there really wasn't much of a market for the rhythmic content.

Anyone has spent any decent amount of time in STL can attest that the city is very much divided in a racial and cultural way that most cities moved past decades ago. I think KSLZ and KBWX could survive with nearly identical playlists and differing presentations- with KSLZ squarely aimed at the soccer moms in the suburbs and KBWX aimed at a younger, less white audience.

CC probably wasn't off the mark by finally bringing a Rhythmic station to the cluster. When KATZ was an Urban station as 100.3 the Beat, it generally performed well in the diaries, but it never sold well. CC is probably thinking they will be better able to sell Wild as part of a buy with KSLZ and make the station profitable.

I have always struggled with the idea that the Rhythmic format is even related to the CHR or Top 40 format. Sure, they are neighboring formats, with some overlap, but they seem to be sufficiently differerent so as not to be direct competitors. In fact, these days, I think Rhythmics have more in common with Urbans than they do with Top 40's. So, I think one cluster can indeed have both a Top 40 and a Rhythmic station in the same market.

AM FM listener said:
I have always struggled with the idea that the Rhythmic format is even related to the CHR or Top 40 format. Sure, they are neighboring formats, with some overlap, but they seem to be sufficiently differerent so as not to be direct competitors. In fact, these days, I think Rhythmics have more in common with Urbans than they do with Top 40's. So, I think one cluster can indeed have both a Top 40 and a Rhythmic station in the same market.

Hmmm, I think Rhythmics have more in common with Pop than Urban nowadays.

ShawtyBlack_ATL said:
AM FM listener said:

I agree- rhythmic is much closer to Pop than to Urban today. The last time that rhythmic and urban were significantly close was at the start of the 2000s but with hip hop's takeover at Pop, rhythmic and pop have been nearly identical formats for over a decade.

justpassingthough said:
ShawtyBlack_ATL said:
AM FM listener said:

I agree- rhythmic is much closer to Pop than to Urban today. The last time that rhythmic and urban were significantly close was at the start of the 2000s but with hip hop's takeover at Pop, rhythmic and pop have been nearly identical formats for over a decade.
I agree that rhythmic used to be close to urban but I felt that really begain before 2000s. There were plenty of rhythmic stations that allowed lots of R&B titles from artists like R Kelly, Aaliyah, Babyface, H-town and TLC to get major spins. While stations such as KMEL and WPGC managed to get away with playing R&B titles that 1) never made the Hot 100 or 2) didn't even go too high into the Top 40 bracket, this was due to billing as rhythmic but taking on an urban music selection at free will. But other stations were strict to where only the Top 10 urban titles also had to be in the Top 40 portion of Billboard pop.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom