• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Rhythmic Oldies today vs. Jammin Oldies back in late 90's and early 2000s

e-dawg

Star Participant
I remember in the late 90's Jammin Oldies was a format fad, that majority of the stations failed, how did Rhythmic Oldies in the western United States (California, Nevada, Arizona, and Hawaii) do very well with Rhythmic Oldies format vs. other parts of the country. Also, why did the Rhythmic Oldies station do very well in the ratings today vs. 10 years ago?

why did the Rhythmic Oldies station do very well in the ratings today vs. 10 years ago?

Today's stations include more current top 40 rhythmic songs, less Motown and urban oldies and a playlist that has more variety.

Jammin' oldies 10 years ago didn't have TLC, Madonna, Prince, Jagged edge, as core artists.

There are exceptions. I guess the line has blurred with Rhythmic Oldies and Rhythmic AC (the latter might play more currents).

I guess the new term would be "Classic Rhythm Hits" (I will coin that phrase ;D)

e-dawg said:
Also, why did the Rhythmic Oldies station do very well in the ratings today vs. 10 years ago?

The OG Jammin' Oldies didn't have the library to support the format beyond a few months (60's & 70's...no 80's or early 90's...and not enough crossover blue eyed soul and dance-pop).

The newer rhythmic oldies have Madonna, Cyndi Lauper, TLC etc...and more crossovers from the 70's & 80's. Problem solved!

PS...JamminOldiesRadio.Com is a hybrid Jammin/Rhythmic Gold station - the songs seem to have a common thread, regardless of artist. Makes for a great variety - could be called "Jammin' Jack" given the breadth of the playlist...

e-dawg said:
how did Rhythmic Oldies in the western United States (California, Nevada, Arizona, and Hawaii) do very well with Rhythmic Oldies format vs. other parts of the country.

If you're asking how Rhythmic Oldies stations in CA/NV/AZ were able to find success (as opposed to those in other regions)...many songs featured on Rhythmic Oldies stations have been on the playlists of Rhythmic CHRs in this region for a long time...in both regular rotation and mix shows. (Think "old school"). Rhythmic Oldies music wasn't as much of a "fad" in the Southwest because the music was kept familiar to the masses over the years.

Southwestern Rhythmic CHRs generally target/attract Hispanic listeners -- this group seems to have more of an appreciation for Rhythmic Oldies than the general population. Look no further than the longevity of the Art Laboe Sunday Special for a perfect example of what I mean - see http://artlaboe.com/sunday.html for a list of affiliates.

I'm not familiar enough with radio in Hawaii to offer much insight, but I assume that it's a similar situation.

KAJM 104.3, Phoenix has been operating the format since the late 90's. Never went away, now they have a competitor KYOT 95.5 that started oldies last year or maybe 2011. So far, KYOT is winning although I like KAJM better because of a deeper playlist.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom