• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Future Radio home for the BROOKLYN hockey team.

The Islanders are moving to Brooklyn, starting in 2015. Given WRHU's signal is terrible, I would not be surprised if one of the NY radio stations picked up the team rights.

I think that it would have to be a music station preempting music for hockey. Q104.3 and whatever that station on 94.7 will be are my candidates.

The fact that they can't get a "real" radio station to air the games now does not bode well, even with a move to Brooklyn.

Bottom line is that few care about hockey, and even fewer about the third team in the market.

If 94.7 is airing a rock format or anything not sports or talk, why would they hack up the schedule for a hack hockey team? Same for Q-104.3. Why interrupt your music flow for a sport that gets little attention?

WNTIRadio said:
If 94.7 is airing a rock format or anything not sports or talk, why would they hack up the schedule for a hack hockey team? Same for Q-104.3. Why interrupt your music flow for a sport that gets little attention?

CC's active rock WXDX (105.9 The X) Pittsburgh airs Penguins games so it's not impossible. A competitive team would help the Islanders get on a major NYC signal, especially now that they'll be playing in Brooklyn.

New York Islanders of Brooklyn? Brooklyn Islanders? I dunno about that! :)

radioguy39nj said:
WNTIRadio said:

CC's active rock WXDX (105.9 The X) Pittsburgh airs Penguins games so it's not impossible. A competitive team would help the Islanders get on a major NYC signal, especially now that they'll be playing in Brooklyn.

Before they can say ANYWHERE Islanders, there needs to be hockey going on first.....

Tony Santiago said:
radioguy39nj said:
WNTIRadio said:

Before they can say ANYWHERE Islanders, there needs to be hockey going on first.....
Read my Sig.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

RBRadioWaves said:
Given WRHU's signal is terrible, I would not be surprised if one of the NY radio stations picked up the team rights.

In this case, the team is more terrible than the station's signal. :eek:

Given the Islanders' lousy record in recent years, the radio rights (even with the move to Brooklyn) will come cheap.

I would think that the major contenders would be WABC-770 and WOR-710, only because

(1) Both stations have large signal areas.

(2) Either WABC or WOR could accommodate a full Islanders' schedule (from pre-season through the playoffs if they go that far), whereas the two English-language all-sports stations (WFAN-660/101.9 and WEPN-98.7) both have a hockey and basketball team.

Could the team try to buy airtime on one of the aforementioned stations, sell ad time, produce the broadcasts, and keep the profits?? I mention this possibility because the team will probably make more money this way than by selling radio rights, which for each season might not even reach six figures.

I would think that the major contenders would be WABC-770 and WOR-710, only because

One problem with that scenario is that WOR and WABC are now destined to be rival NYC showcases for two big rival national talk show providers.

Would either Cumulus or Clear Channel really be willing to preempt its regular schedule to carry relatively low rated hockey games, so often, and for so much of the year?

Don't forget the hockey will chase away regular talk listeners, send them over to the rival talk shows, disrupt the ratings, and mean the national advertising clients won't have their spots cleared in NYC within the desired show and at the specific time.

Every programming move that WOR and WABC make from now on will have to consider that bigger corporate picture, rather than making decisions based just on what might be marginally better for just the local station.

TimeIsTight said:
Would either Cumulus or Clear Channel really be willing to preempt its regular schedule to carry relatively low rated hockey games, so often, and for so much of the year?

I doubt it! WOR and WABC will be CC's and Cumulus' flagships for their respective talk programming.

Another question. Will WOR continue to air Rutgers football and men's b-ball? Football airs mostly on Saturday. College basketball airs about twice a week with one game usually on Saturday and one weeknight game. Far fewer games than with and NBA or NHL team. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom