• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What Would You like to see come to the New WFME 94.7 FM ?

1-Alternative

As for Oldies-we have CBS-FM, Standards belongs on AM and Classic Country we don't need-it won't do well in NJ/NYC

Solely on MxRxUSA's multiple-choice :

1- Standards

2- Classic Country

3- Oldies 60's and 70's

4- Country

Am not holding my breath for ANY of those eventualities, though. Los Angeles and New York are the two biggest markets to consign all four of those formats to rusting file caninets and moldy vinyl in leaky skyscraper basements.

That leaves the Modern Rock or Dance as choices, then. Make it some form of music, please.
As far back as 1959, no less than baseball great Stan Musial was playing some form of surrogate drums in the clubhouse and one player took the needle off some rock and roll record to interrupt the session.
'Rock and roll rattles my nerves, Stash,' said the censor.
Musial replied, 'Ah, put on something else then. It's all music.'

MusicRadioUSA, I am going to update your multiple choice because you left a lot out.

1-Oldies pre 1980

2-Country

3-Talk

4-Standards

5-Dance/EDM

6-Alternative/Modern Rock

7-R&B minus the Hip-Hop aspect.

8-(put format here)

Might as well play this game...

90s techno/trance/breakbeat/house/drum n' base

A Ben-FM type format

WPLJ

Rock after 1994

Rockin' Country

BBC Live Five simulcast

any BBC simulcast

Dr Demento reruns

Howard Stern reruns pre-Sirius

1992-2000 Fox network shows on audio

All Loverboy, Bon Jovi, Rick Springfield and Journey Radio (a hyped-upped version of 'PLJ, for those NJ moms)

OK, those last four weren't serious. ;)

Country would make the most sense, Alternative isn't bad either. An oldies station that mainly plays 60's and 70's(Scott Shannon's True Oldies) or true local talk.

Last thing we need in New York is another variation of CHR or AC.

Considering that Cumulus is shelling out some serious money for this station, they're going to do a format that will get listeners, attention and money.

Forget moving WABC to FM. They need to sort 770 out first. And with them likely losing Rush and Hannity to WOR eventually, what would they put there? I'd rule out talk.

Forget all-news. Merlin is still licking their wounds after trying to take on CBS.

Forget CBS Sports. They're not spending all that money to be the 3rd place FM sports station in the market, with an all-syndicated lineup. I would rule out any sports format.

EDM? Keep dreaming.

If I were a betting man, the most obvious choice would be country. Now, before you poo-poo it and say that New York is too urban for country to work, keep in mind that country is now very mainstream. It could work, and work very, very well. Most obvious format hole. And very compatible with their other stations.

Second choice would be alternative. WRXP's latest successes have shown that even a decent alt-rock station running on autopilot can get decent ratings. Another format idea that makes sense there.

Cumulus should LMA starting November 1st with "New Rock, Alternative 94.7" rather than wait for the January close so there can be a natural progression of listeners from 101.9 to 94.7. They could even buy time and work out an agreement with Merlin/CBS to announce to the listeners the new home of Alternative in NY come Nov 1st will be New Rock 94.7. This gives Cumulus ratings traction from day one.

It would be a win for both CBS and Cumulus. Switching the only alternative station in NY to sports talk is going to piss off allot of listeners including existing WFAN listeners that may boycott the station. CBS should want to get off to a good start on that frequency without that kind of baggage.

Merlin got this incarnation of Alternative right and it is showing in the ratings. It is the same flavor that is doing well for Clear Channel's WRFF in Philly.

With that said, considering the buyer is Cumulus I think it will likely be Alternative or Country.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom