• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

IS KYET IN WILLIAMS STILL OFF THE AIR?

Mike said:
Dave, do you mean no station has a history prior to 1977? I've only looked at one or two heritage stations, but I think there was an extensive history to them. Even showed the stuff that was typed on an old style manual typewriter.

My bad - I thought you were referring to the CDBS database. I wasn't aware of the FTP site. I'll have to check that out.

KCYN/KNYN

I know it has been several years since this post was made. I just came upon this website the other day.

I started my radio career at KCYN 1240 as a Jr. High career day in 1973/74. By 1975, after the equipment upgrades, new Collins transmitter and Collins board, the call letters were changed to KNYN, still at 1240AM. I think we were 1,000w day and 250w night.
Format was CW by day and top 40 by night. I did the night show after Karl Hoffman decided to give it up. I was thrilled. I recall the GM's name was "Gordon Snyder", I think.
All of the employees walked out one day because everyone was making minimum wage and they wanted more. Of course, I did not walk out, and ended up working 12 hour board shifts many days. It was a real lesson in hard work The station sank and Collins repo-ed the equipment that summer. They told me the old equipment was to be installed in a few days. Did not happen.
Around '81 a Dr. Soho? purchased the station and sent a relative of his to Williams to operate the station. She hired me to come up from Phoenix and help get things going. However, nothing happened and a move to Texas was in my future.
There was a KDAN in that same building, beautiful music kind of thing, if I recall correctly. But, a screaming preacher bought the noon time slot each day and it drove the sponsors and listeners away. After that I pretty much lost touch.
On the technical side, the Collins board used was the model that Autogram purchased and popularized for a couple of decades. Used that board in many facilities.

So, if anybody sees this, great! if not, it's lost in the netherworld of cybertown. It would be great if anyone has any pictures of the station in those years and would be willing to share.
A friend of mine also worked at the station and still works in Flagstaff radio.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom