• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

List of stations that still play some form of our music.

WEVG Evergreen Alabama is a new one, and streaming on radioloyalty.

semoochie said:
Portland's Sunny 1550 returns to Adult Standards on October 29th!

Is Salem getting rid of them? I wonder how long it will last this time around? Don't get me wrong; I think there's room for that format if done right! The only thing is that When you try to return to a format, it's very difficult to win back the audience you abandoned!

On a different note, I understand that WHTX (1570) near Youngstown, Ohio will be sold. Already their formerly co-owned country station has changed to Spanish.

http://www.fabulous1570whtx.com/

There is a station that plays some of the Soft AC/EZ Listening songs in the Dallas/Fort Worth market. It's on KDMX 102.9 HD2 branded as "Sunny" (what I call the 2nd incarnation). You may need an HD Radio for it. Or if you're signed up for iHeartRadio, they have "Sunny Radio" on there as well.

Chuck said:
Shameless plug, but don't forget KZQX-FM, 100.3 Longview, TX, 97.9 Tyler and now on 1400 AM, Jacksonville, Texas. The format shifts throughout the day, becoming a little more Oldies at drive times, a combination during the day and real standards overnight. It is home grown and operated, with the only satellite service being an hourly Dow Jones Money Report on weekdays. On line at www.kzqx.com or www.qx-fm.com It's also on itunes, Real Player, Tune-In Radio and others.
I wouldn't be happy if I had depended on your station.

I don't generally listen to stations online because I don't have sound or fast Internet at home and only a few libraries I go to provide earphones.

Yours was one station that was "real standards".

I haven't looked at the list but here are some I know about.

WLHC Robbins, NC and WLQC Sharpsburg, NC were Timeless affiliates and still play that style
WSAT Salisbury, NC is Dial Global most of the time and more oldies on the local morning show
WIOZ Pinehurst, NC is Dial Global
WAZZ Fayetteville NC is Dial Global
WAVO Rock Hill, SC was Jones but according to this site uses hard disk and still leans heavily toward the traditional
WEZV North Myrtle Beach, SC and WGTN-FM Andrews, SC seem to think Rod Stewart and Michael Buble and more important than Frank Sinatra and Perry Como

vchimpanzee said:
Yours was one station that was "real standards".

It is one of the few left, but even I have had to come to grips with the fact that somebody who is 60 years old graduated from high school about 1970. The change in popular music over the previous 15 years was drastic. At least I'm pretty sure we play "good songs," even if they are not strictly "standards." If you can't remember a few of the words, or can't hum along, then we don't play it.

Since you also asked for stations that have a weekly Standards show, there is KPOV 88.9 in Bend, Oregon. Tuesdays from 2-4pm Pacific Time is the "Good Stuff" which plays the Standards (he even calls it that), with a few odd balls thrown in. KPOV also streams live (www.kpov.org).

The thing is, I cannot pick up any stations that aren't relatively close to where I am located. Frankly, I don't care what they play in distant markets. And, since the vast majority of my radio listening is in my car, and my car is not connected to the internet, I don't care about streaming internet "radio".

Two new stations which simulcast the same format with a large coverage area:

WGMA -- Ocala/The Villages 99.7
WGMS -- Gainesville/LaCrosse 99.5

Timeless Favorites

The thing is, I cannot pick up any stations that aren't relatively close to where I am located. Frankly, I don't care what they play in distant markets. And, since the vast majority of my radio listening is in my car, and my car is not connected to the internet, I don't care about streaming internet "radio".

In cases when I travel, I listen to CDs.

In cases when I travel, I listen to CDs.
One reason I objected so strongly to being without my kind of music on the radio when I first came here was that my car had nothing but a radio. I do have the ability to play cassettes now, but I've never taken advantage of it except to hear church services that I missed. And I just found out last week that in most cases my church isn't even taping for shut-ins any more. We can, unlike my aunt's church where the system isn't working (well, why don't they fix it? She missed a lot of services when she was sick and never got to hear them).

I have a supply, but to really hear the music I like would require spending too much money.

Timeless Favorites
Actually, America's Best Music. Timeless Favorites has been gone for years. Except for two North Carolina stations and possibly others which kept the same playlist but now do it locally.

One reason I objected so strongly to being without my kind of music on the radio when I first came here was that my car had nothing but a radio. I do have the ability to play cassettes now, but I've never taken advantage of it except to hear church services that I missed. And I just found out last week that in most cases my church isn't even taping for shut-ins any more. We can, unlike my aunt's church where the system isn't working (well, why don't they fix it? She missed a lot of services when she was sick and never got to hear them).

I have a supply, but to really hear the music I like would require spending too much money.

For less than $10 on eBay, you can buy a gadget that plugs into your cigarette lighter outlet that you can plug either USB thumb drives or SD cards into. You can also connect any sort of iPod or MP3 player using a cord from the earphone outlet into the gadget. On the drive or card, you load as many MP3s as you want. The gadget plays the MP3s over your car radio on an unused frequency. All you have to do is sync the frequencies on the gadget and your car radio once. It's cheap, and it's simple. A 4 megabyte thumb drive holds 20 hours or more of MP3s.

Ripping MP3 copies off of your CDs is simple. So is downloading MP3s. For less than $20, including the cost of a few thumb drives, anyone can have the means to play virtually unlimited quantities of whatever music you want to hear.

Timeless Favorites

I can't pick them up on my radio.

Wouldn't that depend on the make and model of the car? For years I had a 1981 Honda Civic. It finally gave out in 2002. I'm not so sure my old car would have been as compatible with today's technology as my new car.

Last edited:
Wouldn't that depend on the make and model of the car? For years I had a 1981 Honda Civic. It finally gave out in 2002. I'm not so sure my old car would have been as compatible with today's technology as my new car.

If your car has a cigarette lighter outlet that works, the gadget will get power and transmit. If you have an FM radio station that picks up stations, it will pick up the output of the gadget. It doesn't matter how old or new your car is, if you have a 12 volt CLA outlet and a working FM radio, the gadget works.

KAHM FM 102.1 is alive and well both online at KAHM.INFO and over the
air at FM 102.1 There are tentative plans to move the transmitter some
twenty miles closer to Phoenix and as such, should provide a 60 db signal
into the valley.

I'm quite often envious of friends/family who have more hi-tech cell phones and iPods.

For cell phone, I have a Tracfone LG501C. I got it because I didn't want the hassle of a contract. No streaming capability with this cell phone.

For iPod, I have a 6th generation Nano. It has an FM radio tuner but no streaming capability.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom