• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

CHR in the late 90's

I was listening to aircheckdownloads.com and clicked on KHKS in 1998..I really do miss how CHR radio sounded back then..this is what I heard

The legendary Top of Hour KHKS Jingle
Jennifer Lopez-If You Had My Love
Uncle Sam-I don't ever wanna see you again
Jay-Z Can I get a..
Boyz ll Men-End Of The Road
Christina Aguilera-Genie In a Bottle
UB40-The way you do the things you do
112-Anywhere
Matchbox 20 3am

New Music
Natalie Imbruglia-Torn
The Piña Colada Song
Next- Too Close
Vonda Shepard-Searching My Soul

I actually remember when KISS had this awesome variety..Took me back to childhood
Music was awesome back then

For me here in Columbus the 90's were terrible. WNCI at the time was extremely picky on it's playlist. A majority of the time they didn't play much of the biggest tunes that were hip hop oriented. It wasn't unusual for me to here tunes from other cities top 40 stations that they avoided. Plus on Fridays they were stuck in the 80's and Saturday's stuck in the 70's. And if a major holiday was happening they were usually stuck in the 80's all weekend.

I remember KHKS would play Jay-Z, Puff Daddy, Notorious BIG, but you would also hear Naked Eyes-Always Something There To Remind Me, Erasure-Chains Of Love, and they would always play The Pretenders-Ill Stand By You...So the music was all over the place..But it worked at the time

the late 90's to about 2002 or so was an odd time for CHR. Stations were at an influx at what would work...should they play pop, alternative, hip hop, hot AC...some stations were all over the place...where others leaned one way or the other.

I remember KISS FM in Milwaukee playing everything from POD, Sarah Mcclaughlin, ODB, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Fabulous, BareNaked Ladies, Nsync, Incubus, Kid Rock, Blink 182, Missy Elliot to name just a few acts...plus all these acts had songs in power at one time or another....it all worked well too...would be considered a mess today.

It was an interesting time for CHR. What worked in one market may not work in another. Today most stations play the same hits...I king of long for those days.

^
I agree...I too long for those days when CHR stations were "all over the place" and played all current hits, from Green Day to Toni Braxton, and rock hits weren't relegated to HAC. The "all over the place" description sound almost like a negative and it shouldn't be.

No, I definately didn't mean it as a negative..As a teen in the 90's I enjoyed a wide variety of music so it was awesome to hear all my favorites on one single station..

CatCall said:
^
I agree...I too long for those days when CHR stations were "all over the place" and played all current hits, from Green Day to Toni Braxton, and rock hits weren't relegated to HAC.

Basically, pre-Clear Channel...

Clear Channel wasn't always that way. It was when the went out and started merging with other radio companies is when they started going bad. Same goes for Cumulus.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom