• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

FM Stations in Columbia

I know the rules are in Eastern Hemisphere, your radio sets to 9khz for AM and FM goes from 87.5 to 108.0. Also you can have an odd and even channel spacing such as 92.0 92.5 etc. In western hemisphere, you am stations are 10khz spacing and the fm dial goes from 88.1 to 107.9, you only could have odd spacing, no even spacing. How come the stations in Bogota Columbia have 100.4 and 104.4 on the FM dial? I thought the rules for western hemisphere the FM stations could only goes odd spacing only, and not even.

Re: FM Stations in Colombia

e-dawg said:
I know the rules are in Eastern Hemisphere, your radio sets to 9khz for AM and FM goes from 87.5 to 108.0. Also you can have an odd and even channel spacing such as 92.0 92.5 etc. In western hemisphere, you am stations are 10khz spacing and the fm dial goes from 88.1 to 107.9, you only could have odd spacing, no even spacing. How come the stations in Bogota Columbia have 100.4 and 104.4 on the FM dial? I thought the rules for western hemisphere the FM stations could only goes odd spacing only, and not even.

First, "Columbia" is a District and a City in Missouri and a river in the Northwest. The country is COLOMBIA.

And, outside of individual nations that have treaties, such as the NARBA agreement binding the US, DR, Canada and Mexico, other nations are pretty free to define channels as they want on FM.

Colombia is not the only nation with both odd and even allocations.... several nations in the West Indies have them, and any other country that wants to can do so as well.

This is no different than Argentina, Canada, Turks & Caicos, Costa Rica and Ecuador licensing radio stations on AM 530, outside the band in the US. And, long before the US had the 1610 to 1700 X-Band on AM, Argentina had community stations on those frequencies...

I am not sure when Colombia started to adopt the even FM frequencies----I'd say sometime in the mid 1990s. I had a Colombia FM list from 1990, and not only were all stations on our typical "odd" frequencies, but spacing was 1 MHz (as opposed to 0.8 MHz in the US) for same-city stations.

I'd figure that Bogota needed more FM stations, to serve the city, so they shoehorned in stations, to make spacing 0.5 MHz. Not sure if all the "even frequency" stations *began* in Bogota, but it did spread throughout the country.

As a DXer in Florida, I'm perfectly fine with that. I've caught 88.6 in Barranquilla from home, and a few "evens" from the Florida Keys as well, like 88.4, 95.2 & 89.0 (which I heard playing something by Ray Conniff I think---I wish I could have ID'd that one).

cd

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom