• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Cumulus CHR's are the worst I've ever heard

atlantaboy said:
Let's see what happens when John Kilgo takes over...

The two things I am hoping for are

1) Quicker adds. Waiting almost six months to add songs like 'I Need Your Love' is insanity
2) Less gold even if that means a tighter playlist, and when they do play gold they need more variety. Gold songs should be a treat to hear, not a chore

Once again I got a trade email this morning that once again teases the MAJOR CUMULUS EVENT (ie layoffs and the nationalization of formats) will be happening sometime before the 4th of July.

jason1589 said:
I wonder when exactly he's taking over.

Two weeks ago.

editthis said:
Once again I got a trade email this morning that once again teases the MAJOR CUMULUS EVENT (ie layoffs and the nationalization of formats) will be happening sometime before the 4th of July.

Jerry's wrong more than he's right...but with Cumulus, you never really know. Time will tell.

I'm gonna go out on a limb by saying Cumulus has gotten better recently. Right now, every song in the Top 30 on Mediabase is being played on at least one Cumulus stations (not counting KKMG and WHTS). It's gotten to the point where there is some diversity between the stations. KLAL is playing Crazy Kids by Ke$ha, which many other Cumulus stations have yet to play, as well as some stations spinning Gone, Gone, Gone by Phillip Phillips, and some playing Chloe by Emblem3. Hopefully, this trend continues and WPRO-FM in Providence doesn't sound like KLIF in Dallas.

marconis gallbladder said:
jason1589 said:
I wonder when exactly he's taking over.

Two weeks ago.

editthis said:

Jerry's wrong more than he's right...but with Cumulus, you never really know. Time will tell.

WOW! July 4th has come and gone and we saw... what? A few NASH-FM stations rolled out? Looks like the staffs are still in place.

bluestar4 said:
I'm gonna go out on a limb by saying Cumulus has gotten better recently. Right now, every song in the Top 30 on Mediabase is being played on at least one Cumulus stations (not counting KKMG and WHTS). It's gotten to the point where there is some diversity between the stations. KLAL is playing Crazy Kids by Ke$ha, which many other Cumulus stations have yet to play, as well as some stations spinning Gone, Gone, Gone by Phillip Phillips, and some playing Chloe by Emblem3. Hopefully, this trend continues and WPRO-FM in Providence doesn't sound like KLIF in Dallas.

There were major shakeups this week in the Pro-FM playlist - many currents got boosted up 20+ spins, while four older songs got pulled from power straight to the bottom

http://www.allaccess.com/mediabase/q/report/playlist/station/WPRO-FM

I still don't see anything extra-progressive, like Pro-FM used to do under Citadel, but it's definitely better than it was a couple weeks ago

atlantaboy said:
bluestar4 said:

There were major shakeups this week in the Pro-FM playlist - many currents got boosted up 20+ spins, while four older songs got pulled from power straight to the bottom

http://www.allaccess.com/mediabase/q/report/playlist/station/WPRO-FM

I still don't see anything extra-progressive, like Pro-FM used to do under Citadel, but it's definitely better than it was a couple weeks ago

I can say the same thing for KKWD. Still nothing like it was under Citadel but it seems to be getting better. At least now it seems they are able to play what they want during their Friday and Saturday night mix shows. A few weeks ago they were mixing the same gold crap from four years ago they play during the day.

Cumulus lately has been getting better about new adds in my opinion. Their ratio of currents to recurrents/gold is still way out of whack, at least on KKWD. My estimate from listening is that less than 50% of the playlist is current, and they still play a lot of dated hip-hop from the early 2000s. It's time to take anything from farther back than five years out of regular rotation and take anything farther back than a year out of power rotation if they are going to have the slogan "All The Hits." I don't see Cumulus changing though as everything is programmed to the least common denominator, being rural Southern towns.

bchristi said:
Cumulus lately has been getting better about new adds in my opinion. Their ratio of currents to recurrents/gold is still way out of whack, at least on KKWD. My estimate from listening is that less than 50% of the playlist is current, and they still play a lot of dated hip-hop from the early 2000s. It's time to take anything from farther back than five years out of regular rotation and take anything farther back than a year out of power rotation if they are going to have the slogan "All The Hits." I don't see Cumulus changing though as everything is programmed to the least common denominator, being rural Southern towns.
Cumulus has definitely gotten better with adds. My Top 40 station, WNTQ, started playing "Holy Grail" by Jay-Z this week, which is pretty weird considering it's now owned by Cumulus and used to play no-rap edits of songs when Citadel owned them. Some other Cumulus stations have started playing Taylor Swift's new song already and I know my station started playing the new JT song either Friday or Saturday. Nice to see they're allowing new music adds when they're fresh, at least with the more familiar artists.

Cumulus CHRs have definitely been improving as of late - they don't all sound identical, they're adding songs faster, and they're not all playing the same Recurrents/Golds.
Hopefully this is a step in the right direction.

Cumulus should simply start simulcasting Pop2K off SiriusXM for its CHR stations. Pop2K does much better with the gold-based CHR format than Cumulus stations do, and they have a much wider playlist. The problem with Cumulus is their playlist is simply too tight. All of those songs that were overplayed on ClearChannel stations 5 years ago are now being overplayed on Cumulus stations and its simply unlistenable. Plus, Cumulus should drop slogans like "All The Hits" from its CHR stations if their primary focus is going to be songs from 5-10 years ago.

Last edited:
There has been little improvement, from what I've seen, since John Kilgo took over. There was a very slight improvement initially but today it sounds no different from when Jan was calling all the shots. From what I understand Jan still has the final say so that's probably the root of the problem. I wish they would just go back to the old way of allowing stations to determine their playlist, at least in competitive markets. Even if Jan calls the shots as to what can be played and what can't, at least the stations could determine what goes into power and how much gold to play. For instance, there should be more "Timber" by Pitbull and less "Hotel Room Service". From what I understand, there are a few Cumulus stations that have avoided the national playlist.

Cumulus...bringing small town, outdated, poorly imaged radio to the big city.

Jan Jeffries is gone from Cumulus...however the stations don't sound any different. Still way too much rhythmic gold and still ultra-conservative with new adds, right from Jan Jeffries' playbook. Should a station branded as "All The Hits" really be playing "Hot In Heere" by Nelly or "Suga Suga" by Baby Bash when its almost 2016? It's especially bad for rhythmic leaning stations as rhythmic music doesn't age as well as pop or rock.

Cumulus is in trouble at the corporate level. Why don't they re-evaluate the way they run CHR/Pop and CHR/Rhythmic stations? Do people really like the way they program their stations? When I turn it to a top 40 station, I want to hear TODAY's music. If I want to hear what was popular 15 years ago, there's my iPod, Pandora, AC, or even a throwback hip-hop station for that.

I don't think any Top 40 station, be it mainstream or rhythmic, should go back more than 5 years unless its during a specific timeslot dedicated to throwbacks. It definitely shouldn't be every hour.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom