• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Pitbull

Is it just me, or has this no-talent "Pitbull" charactor worn out his welcome. You can't listen to a CHR station for 5 minutes without hearing his Cookie Monster voice stinking up the airways. This guy is everywhere and keeps saying basically the same stuff ("Mr. Worldwide") over nearly every song he is on. I've heard some halfway decent records destroyed by all these "Rent a Homies" and hype men doing shout-outs and name dropping all over the place. Why do we need these people to "save" the record? I'm sorry if you are a fan and are offended by this post, but these sort of records are getting stale. It's been going on for many years and it doesn't appear that it will ever change. I wish they would just shut up and let the people sing. If it's a good song, I don't need "Pit Bull" or anyone else to "rescue" the record.

I don't think its fair to blame Pitbull. I think its syptomatic of a tiresome trend at CHR that you pointed out, and it largely has to do with the stagnation of hip hop. For the better part of the last decade, CHR was reliant on R&B songs with hip hop flavor for a vast majority of their hits. Hip hop got old and repetitive, though, and every song started to sound the same- lets have a rapper do his verses and have a singer on the hooks, or vice versa.

Now it appears that CHR is opening up to other choices- EDM and pop/rock- being the most apparent-so what we are seeing is the dying gasps of a decade of a formula that worked well but ran its course.

Totally agree with what justpassingthrough has to say. Although It's hard to imagine mainstream/chr without rappers I long for the day...

I had pretty much given up on CHR in recent years because there was entirely too much hip hop and very little regular pop and rock based songs that have a nice melody and not the atonal and off key sounding stuff we have been getting. Even some teeny bopper bubblegum music would be nice. For the last couple of years though I've notice more songs that have a singable tunes and catchy music, even if most of it is over-produced and auto-tuned to death. Carley Rae Jepson, Owl City, One Direction's "One Thing and Cher Lloyd's "Want you Back (the version without the rap) come to mind. I'm not against rap and hip hop, but I prefer to hear that on a hip hop station and not on a pop station. It's kind of like hearing metal on a country station. I don't like the mix.

You need to keep in mind that there are many areas that don't have a hip hop station or even as Rhythmic CHR that would serve as a home for rap songs. Besides, Pitbull is considered Hip Pop or Dance Pop not Hip Hop. He is not played on Urbans at all. He is a core CHR artist.

The Outsider said:
You need to keep in mind that there are many areas that don't have a hip hop station or even as Rhythmic CHR that would serve as a home for rap songs. Besides, Pitbull is considered Hip Pop or Dance Pop not Hip Hop. He is not played on Urbans at all. He is a core CHR artist.

Very true, as he isn't an urban artist. I first heard him in 2005 on KXOL here in Los Angeles, which at the time was primarily a reggaeton station, mixed with some hip hop- but essentially a bilingual CHR/Rhythmic station. He has obviously crossed over now, but it would be interesting to see if he gets more spins in cities with higher Latino populations and/or cultural ties to Latin America versus say Providence or Seattle.

The Outsider said:

Exactly.

justpassingthough said:
The Outsider said:

Very true, as he isn't an urban artist. I first heard him in 2005 on KXOL here in Los Angeles, which at the time was primarily a reggaeton station, mixed with some hip hop- but essentially a bilingual CHR/Rhythmic station. He has obviously crossed over now, but it would be interesting to see if he gets more spins in cities with higher Latino populations and/or cultural ties to Latin America versus say Providence or Seattle.
Also KPWR Los Angeles also showed love for when first came out in 2004-05.

justpassingthough said:
The Outsider said:

Although I don't have exact data for your question, I do know that he's played a lot up here on CHR, though KPLZ would never in a million years play him. To be honest, I was a little surprised when one morning as I was getting ready for school they threw in Stereo Hearts. Does WZYP even play that song? If not, then that is very, very sad! Just switch to the Hot AC pannel already if you're going to sound that way, WZYP! It is a crime to have any Hot AC playing more rhythmic titles than a CHR!

Re: The Pitbulls

"Hip hop got old and repetitive, though, and every cut started to sound the same--let's have a rapper do his lines and have a singer on the hooks, or vice versa."

I usually just throw the cuts into a WAV editor (*coughAudacity*cough*) and hack the rap lines (read: annoying filler) out altogether. Problem solved.

I actually like rap music and usually avoid pop stations that have any kind of "no rap" rule.

But with that said, there are some pop songs that really don't benefit from having a guest rapper. Even worse, a lot of these rappers only talk about things like jewelry, how much money they have, and also use a bunch of profanity. The lyrics don't fit with the rest of the song. Kevin Rudolf's "Let It Rock" is a good example.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom