• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Does Cumulus think its still 2009?

The area where I live has one of the Citadel stations taken over by Cumulus (KKWD) Wild 104.9.  KKWD used to be one of the best sounding rhythmics in my opinion back when it was owned by Citadel.  They were always very current and sometimes edgy, and had personality.  Having lived in a small market that had a Cumulus CHR, I am aware that they tend to be behind on what they play and focus on older stuff.  For instance KBBQ 102.7 The Vibe in Fort Smith, Arkansas was still playing "Party Like A Rock Star" pretty heavily in 2010, a time when nobody else was playing it and the song itself was quite dated.  If anybody is familiar with that station, it sounds pretty much like an iPod with all the hits from the past 5 years on it shuffled.  Since moving back to Oklahoma City, I've found Cumulus has followed the same formula with the once-great KKWD, heavily focusing on hits from 2008 and 2009 with currents sprinkled in here and there.  What was once a great station now has no personality and sounds incredibly out of date like the typical small market CHR Cumulus was known for before the merger with Citadel.  Sorry Cumulus, we are nearing the end of 2012, not 2009 so I don't want to hear "Bad Romance" and "Bed Rock" every time I turn on the radio.  Has Cumulus done this with all its CHR's they inherited from Citadel?  Is there any particular reason Cumulus does their CHR's this way, especially now that they are in larger markets?  KKWD today has only a 2.2 share when they dominated the ratings back when they were owned by Citadel and I can definitely see why.  Bob FM is even doing better.  They should just scrap the format and let somebody else do a rhythmic in OKC.  Luckily OKC has KJYO and the rim-shot KVSP which both sound good.

Its not just Oklahoma City. Cumulus does the same thing with their Rhythmics in Lexington, Santa Barbara, Amarillo, New Orleans, Lake Charles, Wichita Falls, Providence, and Harrisburg. Makes one wonder who is doing the programming in that department.

Meanwhile, one should keep a eye on WZPW/Peoria (who happens to be the top-rated station in that market) now that Cumulus is the new owner. If they do a possible house cleaning, its not going to go over well with the listeners, who don't like Power 92.3 to be tampered with, and IMHO they're one of best Rhythmic Top 40 outlets in United States.

only1moore said:
Its not just Oklahoma City. Cumulus does the same thing with their Rhythmics in Lexington, Santa Barbara, Amarillo, New Orleans, Lake Charles, Wichita Falls, Providence, and Harrisburg. Makes one wonder who is doing the programming in that department.

Meanwhile, one should keep a eye on WZPW/Peoria (who happens to be the top-rated station in that market) now that Cumulus is the new owner. If they do a possible house cleaning, its not going to go over well with the listeners, who don't like Power 92.3 to be tampered with, and IMHO they're one of best Rhythmic Top 40 outlets in United States.

You got that right about Peoria. I remember when a previous owner tried to tamper with it by switching it to Mainstream CHR probably 10 to 12 years ago. That only lasted a few months before it went back to Rhythmic. A ratings drop of over 50% also helped hasten the move. Listeners there demand to hear the new music that is out, especially Hip Hop and R&B. Cumulus doesn't do new music very well. That will really be what should bear watching there. How listeners will react to the eventual changes in the music policy and stripping the PD there of her ability to program a station for that area. They are locally staffed for all dayparts Monday through Friday with the exception of overnights. We will see how long that will last.

only1moore said:

Cumulus has a one-size-fits-all CHR format they've used for years in small markets and are now converting their newly purchased Citadel CHRs over. I would expect WZPW to be no different. KKWD used to be a great sounding rhythmic, very heavy on new music and sometimes edgy. Now it's a bland, boring, small market CHR still "rah rah ah ah aaah"-ing three years too late just like every other Cumulus station.

bchristi said:
Cumulus has a one-size-fits-all CHR format they've used for years in small markets and are now converting their newly purchased Citadel CHRs over. I would expect WZPW to be no different. KKWD used to be a great sounding rhythmic, very heavy on new music and sometimes edgy. Now it's a bland, boring, small market CHR still "rah rah ah ah aaah"-ing three years too late just like every other Cumulus station.

LOL yeah. Unfortunately that one size they think fits all really doesn't! WZYP in Huntsville is no different.

RollTide said:
bchristi said:

LOL yeah. Unfortunately that one size they think fits all really doesn't! WZYP in Huntsville is no different.

I was actually just looking up WZYP and it reports as an adult CHR. Adult CHRs are actually a little more gold/recurrent oriented than are standard CHRs or rhythmic CHRs. OKC has an adult CHR owned by Cumulus (KYIS 98.9 Kiss FM) and it actually sounds decent for its format. KKWD on the other hand reports as a rhythmic CHR but its playlist consists of mostly songs from 2-5 years ago. You never hear two currents in a row and if you hear a current, its always followed by at least two songs from more than a year ago.

This is their current list of most played songs. I don't know how they can even report as Top 40 being that only about 15 or so of the songs in their rotation are current, and I use "current" loosely as meaning since January 2012. This is a shame because the station sounded so good before Cumulus tweaked it. I am now actually considering re-activating my satellite radio.

1. Pound the Alarm - Nicki Minaj
2. Let's Go - Calvin Harris
3. Heart Attack - Trey Songz
4. Whistle - Flo Rida
5. Where Have You Been - Rihanna
6. As Long As You Love Me - Justin Bieber
7. Lights - Ellie Goulding
8. Work Hard, Play Hard - Wiz Khalifa
9. Cashin' Out - Ca$h Out
10. Scream - Usher
11. Drank In My Cup - Kirko Bangz
12. Don't Wake Me Up - Chris Brown
13. R.I.P. - Rita Ora
14. Numb - Usher
15. Super Bass - Nicki Minaj
16. International Love - Pitbull
17. Give Me Everything - Pitbull
18. Party Rock Anthem - LMFAO
19. We Found Love - Rihanna
20. Good Feeling - Flo Rida
21. Work Out - J Cole
22. Rack City - Tyga
23. How to Love - Lil Wayne
24. Headlines - Drake
25. Starships - Nicki Minaj
26. Take Care - Drake
27. Wild Ones - Flo Rida
28. Young, Wild & Free - Snoop Dogg
29. Whatever You Like - T.I.
30. Paparazzi - Lady GaGa
31. Sexy Chick - David Guetta
32. I Like It - Enrique Iglesias
33. Airplanes - B.o.B
34. Roll Up - Wiz Khalifa
35. The Show Goes On - Lupe Fiasco
36. Out of My Head - Lupe Fiasco
37. In the Dark - Dev

Sorry to hear Cumulus screwed up a good station in your town. I know the feeling. Its been a long time since I looked but the last time I saw it WZYP was reporting as CHR mainstream so at least they are reporting what they really are now. They use the slogan "All The Hits" which is a joke because they ignore many songs that are hits and some of their recurrents and golds were FLOPS!!! The bad thing about it is we don't have a Mainstream CHR here at all. Just ZYP and two urbans. This is why I have my subscription to satellite radio still active lol.

RollTide said:
Sorry to hear Cumulus screwed up a good station in your town. I know the feeling. Its been a long time since I looked but the last time I saw it WZYP was reporting as CHR mainstream so at least they are reporting what they really are now. They use the slogan "All The Hits" which is a joke because they ignore many songs that are hits and some of their recurrents and golds were FLOPS!!! The bad thing about it is we don't have a Mainstream CHR here at all. Just ZYP and two urbans. This is why I have my subscription to satellite radio still active lol.

I know what you mean. If they want to be a gold/recurrent based station, there is so much more they could play than "Bad Romance" and "Cooler Than Me" over and over again. KKWD also plays "LMFAO - You're a Jerk" all the time, which was a flop back in 2009 except in clubs. Adult CHR isn't a bad format when its done right, and usually they have a far greater variety of songs. KKWD in my area used the slogan "All The Hits" as well. Lately they have been playing a bit more early '00s and late '90s stuff, so maybe they will soon officially change formats.

WJIM/97.5 in Lansing MI is a strange CHR station - owned by Cumulus, of course. Most of their songs seem to be recurrents or a few years old than current hits. Last Sunday, out of six songs in a row I heard, only one of them was current. The others were older.

new_friends_gr said:
WJIM/97.5 in Lansing MI is a strange CHR station - owned by Cumulus, of course. Most of their songs seem to be recurrents or a few years old than current hits. Last Sunday, out of six songs in a row I heard, only one of them was current. The others were older.

It's the same way with KKWD.  Any given time you listen, if you listen to six songs, only two of them will be current, and they ALWAYS follow currents with at least two older songs.  That's the way Cumulus works, though they do have a few CHR stations they've had to tweak to compete in their markets.  Before the merger with Citadel, Cumulus pretty much only had small market stations.  They had very few CHRs and the ones they did have were very gold/recurrent based because they figured people wanted to hear the songs they knew and were turned off by new music.  That may work in a small market because many times there is no competition and a lot of markets don't have an AC or hot AC so there is a much larger share of listeners to target.  They seem to have tweaked many of the properties they purchased from Citadel to follow that format even in their larger markets, and its showing in their ratings.  KKWD used to be one of the best sounding Rhythmic CHRs I knew of, until Cumulus got a hold of it. 

It's now a mirror image of 102.7 The Vibe, a small market Cumulus station in Fort Smith, Arkansas (pop 72,000).  I lived in Fort Smith for six years and always thought The Vibe was the worst sounding Top 40 station I had ever heard.  It worked in the market though since Fort Smith had no AC at the time and their only competition was independent station KISR.

I just looked at the playlist for Now FM and its quite ironic they call the station "Now" when most of the songs are several years old.

I really wish the merger would have been the other way around, with Citadel taking over Cumulus.  I would encourage anyone reading this to not listen to Cumulus CHRs. The only way they will ever learn is if their ratings continue to go into the toilet - if people put up with this crap they will keep dishing it out. Hopefully Cumulus will get the hint one of these days that their small-town CHR formula isn't one-size fits all and they have to adjust to whatever market they are in.

bchristi said:
RollTide said:
bchristi said:

I was actually just looking up WZYP and it reports as an adult CHR. Adult CHRs are actually a little more gold/recurrent oriented than are standard CHRs or rhythmic CHRs. OKC has an adult CHR owned by Cumulus (KYIS 98.9 Kiss FM) and it actually sounds decent for its format. KKWD on the other hand reports as a rhythmic CHR but its playlist consists of mostly songs from 2-5 years ago. You never hear two currents in a row and if you hear a current, its always followed by at least two songs from more than a year ago.

This is their current list of most played songs. I don't know how they can even report as Top 40 being that only about 15 or so of the songs in their rotation are current, and I use "current" loosely as meaning since January 2012. This is a shame because the station sounded so good before Cumulus tweaked it. I am now actually considering re-activating my satellite radio.

4. Whistle - Flo Rida
10. Scream - Usher
13. R.I.P. - Rita Ora
14. Numb - Usher
21. Work Out - J Cole
22. Rack City - Tyga
24. Headlines - Drake
26. Take Care - Drake
27. Wild Ones - Flo Rida
33. Airplanes - B.o.B
37. In the Dark - Dev

Nothing here much older than early 2011. This looks like standard Clear Channel or Cumulus. Unfortunately most of this is standard playlist for any CHR or Rhythmic CHR thats not pure Hip-Hop or Dance nowdays owned by any large conglomerate. They are all homogenizing like crazy.

radiorobert said:
bchristi said:
RollTide said:
bchristi said:

4. Whistle - Flo Rida
10. Scream - Usher
13. R.I.P. - Rita Ora
14. Numb - Usher
21. Work Out - J Cole
22. Rack City - Tyga
24. Headlines - Drake
26. Take Care - Drake
27. Wild Ones - Flo Rida
33. Airplanes - B.o.B
37. In the Dark - Dev

Nothing here much older than early 2011. This looks like standard Clear Channel or Cumulus. Unfortunately most of this is standard playlist for any CHR or Rhythmic CHR thats not pure Hip-Hop or Dance nowdays owned by any large conglomerate. They are all homogenizing like crazy.

If you actually listen to the station, they play currents far less than this list would indicate. Their #15 song that week was Super Bass for crying out loud, which was from early 2011. If you listen to the station, out of 6 songs, probably two of them will be from the past year and four of them older.

I recently re-activated my satellite radio so I don't have to put up with it anymore. A good station should play the right amount of recurrents and gold so that its enjoyable to hear them when they come on, not pound the same songs that were so overplayed you were sick of them back when they were hits as KKWD does. Pop2K is a better station and if they want to be gold-based, they should model after them. Their variety is great and they play a lot of songs you won't hear on any terrestrial radio station anymore.

bchristi said:
radiorobert said:
bchristi said:
RollTide said:
bchristi said:

4. Whistle - Flo Rida
10. Scream - Usher
13. R.I.P. - Rita Ora
14. Numb - Usher
21. Work Out - J Cole
22. Rack City - Tyga
24. Headlines - Drake
26. Take Care - Drake
27. Wild Ones - Flo Rida
33. Airplanes - B.o.B
37. In the Dark - Dev

If you actually listen to the station, they play currents far less than this list would indicate. Their #15 song that week was Super Bass for crying out loud, which was from early 2011. If you listen to the station, out of 6 songs, probably two of them will be from the past year and four of them older.

I recently re-activated my satellite radio so I don't have to put up with it anymore. A good station should play the right amount of recurrents and gold so that its enjoyable to hear them when they come on, not pound the same songs that were so overplayed you were sick of them back when they were hits as KKWD does. Pop2K is a better station and if they want to be gold-based, they should model after them. Their variety is great and they play a lot of songs you won't hear on any terrestrial radio station anymore.

I hear ya. We have a Rhythmic CHR (Saga-Hits 99.9) in Des Moines that is probably 50% current/30% recurrent & gold/20% cutting edge. It's actually a pretty cool mixture at times but what shocks me is the way they only hit the edgy stuff 1-2 times an hour and always drop it between a heavy played current and a gold or recurrent on the other side. There is never a solid block of high energy excitement like their used to be with those sets of cutting edge breakouts that are just hitting their big stride the stations 5-7 years ago were doing (like WILD).

Hearing Swedish House Mafia gets you all pumped up and then to come out of it into 2 year old Bruno Mars or some 4 year old Chris Brown track is a big let down.

Sad.

radiorobert said:
bchristi said:
radiorobert said:
bchristi said:
RollTide said:
bchristi said:

4. Whistle - Flo Rida
10. Scream - Usher
13. R.I.P. - Rita Ora
14. Numb - Usher
21. Work Out - J Cole
22. Rack City - Tyga
24. Headlines - Drake
26. Take Care - Drake
27. Wild Ones - Flo Rida
33. Airplanes - B.o.B
37. In the Dark - Dev

I hear ya. We have a Rhythmic CHR (Saga-Hits 99.9) in Des Moines that is probably 50% current/30% recurrent & gold/20% cutting edge. It's actually a pretty cool mixture at times but what shocks me is the way they only hit the edgy stuff 1-2 times an hour and always drop it between a heavy played current and a gold or recurrent on the other side. There is never a solid block of high energy excitement like their used to be with those sets of cutting edge breakouts that are just hitting their big stride the stations 5-7 years ago were doing (like WILD).

Hearing Swedish House Mafia gets you all pumped up and then to come out of it into 2 year old Bruno Mars or some 4 year old Chris Brown track is a big let down.

Sad.

That is a rather common way to incorporate new music. They don't want to chase people off by playing unfamiliar tracks, so they sandwich them in between established hits. It is just a matter of the tempo of the track that follows the new song.

I agree that new music should be played alongside well known songs but not stuff from 2009 and 2010 like Wild does. They also take the same approach with currents, not just cutting edge. They may play something like "Starships," which is current for this station, and then sandwich it with "Telephone" by Lady Gaga and "Like a G6". They also ignore newer music for instance they play "Super Bass" more than "Starships" and way more than "Pound the Alarm." I would say the Wild playlist is about 5% cutting edge, 25% current, 40% recurrent, and 30% gold. That falls in line with the way Cumulus operates most of its small market CHRs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom