• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Another Rhythmic Addition: WZBK/Milwaukee

This is Saga's first Rhythmic that is not on a translator/HD2. The playlist looks to be pretty balanced with Hip Hop, Dance, Rhythmic pop and some R&B. Similar to their Hits 99.9 in Des Moines with a similar logo to boot. V100 could be in trouble. Clear Channel has to decide if they want to commit to fixing it or just go ahead and change the format.

The Outsider said:
This is Saga's first Rhythmic that is not on a translator/HD2. The playlist looks to be pretty balanced with Hip Hop, Dance, Rhythmic pop and some R&B. Similar to their Hits 99.9 in Des Moines with a similar logo to boot. V100 could be in trouble. Clear Channel has to decide if they want to commit to fixing it or just go ahead and change the format.

Why would V100 be in trouble? First, 106.9 doesn't have the greatest signal in the world and the music I'm hearing is not the type of music that would sway a mainstream urban listener from V100. They are more in direct competition with 103.7 and 97.3 in my opinion.

^^^Agreed. The Mainstream Urban and Rhythmic formats aren't as similar as the were during the mid-late 00s. The Urban format has been quite Hip Hop heavy over the last year or so, I'm talking hardcore, non-crossover Hip Hop (Rick Ross, Chief Keef, Waka Flocka Flame, etc)

I think KISS FM should feel the most threatened by this station....Radio Now shouldn't be worried IMO. They seem to be targeting a slightly older demographic.

it'll be interesting to see how Energy stacks up against Kiss, V, and Now, especially with the younger and female demos. On top of that, given what has transpired in Atlanta, Clear Channel will find a way to beef up their properties, likewise with Entercom.

Why would V100 be in trouble?

Simple. There was a Churban/Rhythmic Top 40 station back in the 80s/90s called Hot 102 that had a huge audience. When they changed formats,V 100 took many of those listeners by default. Those listeners who feel Kiss and Radio now are too "mainstream" for their taste have stayed with V 100.

Energy now takes away those listeners from V 100 along with possibly Kiss and Radio Now who want more uptempo mix of Rhythmic hits. If marketed and presented well, this station could be huge!

Having listening to the station online, here's a list of currents (newer and recently charted) that have been played at Energy 106.9 so far...

Kayne West/Big Sean/Pusha T/2 Chainz, "Mercy"
Rihanna, "Where Have You Been"
Calvin Harris/Ne-Yo, "Lets Go"
Justin Bieber/Big Sean, "As Long As You Love Me"
Trey Songz, "Two Reasons"
Usher, "Scream"
David Guetta/Sia, "Titanium"
Flo Rida, "Whistle"
Ellie Goulding, "Lights" (Club mix)
Katy Perry, "Wide Awake"
Maroon 5, "One More Night"
Nicki Minaj, "Pound The Alarm"
Afrojack/Shermanology, "Can't Stop Me"
Flo Rida/Sia, "Wild Ones"
Skrillex, "Bangarang"
Havana Brown, "We Run The Night"
PSY, "Gangnam Style"
Young Jeezy, "Leave You Alone"
Usher, "Numb"
Chris Brown, "Don't Wake Me Up"
Nicki Minaj, "Starships"
Gotye/Kimbra, "Somebody That I Used To Know"
Maroon 5/Wiz Kalifa, "Payphone"
Drake/Rihanna, "Take Care"
Swedish House Mafia, "Don't You Worry Child"
David Guetta/Chris Brown, "I Can Only Imagine"
Ne-Yo, "Let Me Love You"
Carly Rae Jepsen, "Call Me Maybe"
Wiz Kalifa, "Work Hard Play Hard"
Flo Rida, "Good Feeling"
The Wanted, "Glad You Came"
Calvin Harris, "Feel So Close"
Avicii, "Levels"
Drake/Lil' Wayne, "The Motto"
Rihanna/Calvin Harris, "We Found Love"

As for the recurrents, it looks like while they seem to favor Dance tracks (like "Mr Saxobeat", "Take Over Control" and "Memories"), they do find room for some Old School ("Nuthin' But A 'G' Thang") and 90's/00's Rhythmic Pop tracks ("My Love"). In a nut shell Energy does have a shot at succeeding.

I also like the fact that the station while playing very known hits is shaking it up by playing music not currently heard on Top 40 radio. It makes the sound very unique which will help it gain a following in the long run.

I heard Tiesto tonight and its nice that Sweedish House Mafia and Skillrex among others is getting airplay!

BrianThaB said:

Simple. There was a Churban/Rhythmic Top 40 station back in the 80s/90s called Hot 102 that had a huge audience. When they changed formats,V 100 took many of those listeners by default. Those listeners who feel Kiss and Radio now are too "mainstream" for their taste have stayed with V 100.

Energy now takes away those listeners from V 100 along with possibly Kiss and Radio Now who want more uptempo mix of Rhythmic hits. If marketed and presented well, this station could be huge!

I disagree. Rhythmic Top 40 now is not the same as Rhythmic Top 40 of the past. A few years ago, when a station was called Rhythmic Top 40, you couldn't tell the difference between them and a Mainstream Urban. Now, Rhythmic Top 40 consists of "watered-down hip hop", pop, and dance music. And once again, what about the signal?....

Yes the Rhythmic Top 40 format has changed since it was officially recognized by Billboard in 1987. But since this is 2012 and if you look at the markets where they they have a Rhythmic, a Mainstream, and a R&B/Hip-Hop, it appears that they can co-exist. One can expect the same thing to happen with Milwaukee.

As for WZBK's signal, yes its a problem but they seem to know where they're targeting.

bucwhyl said:
BrianThaB said:

I disagree. Rhythmic Top 40 now is not the same as Rhythmic Top 40 of the past. A few years ago, when a station was called Rhythmic Top 40, you couldn't tell the difference between them and a Mainstream Urban. Now, Rhythmic Top 40 consists of "watered-down hip hop", pop, and dance music. And once again, what about the signal?....

Basically, if this station was extremely urban-leaning like the present-day WPGC 95.5, Hot 93.7 in Hartford or, Power 93.9 in Wichita then I could see V-100 being threatened by its existence. However, this station is so bubble gum like that I feel like the only people whom remotely care at CC's Milwaukee cluster are the sales managers that handle Radio Now. It's hilarious how people still see rhythmic as something urban stations care about nowadays. The note is if it isn't urban leaning then it has no effect at all.

kilamanjero said:
bucwhyl said:
BrianThaB said:

Basically, if this station was extremely urban-leaning like the present-day WPGC 95.5, Hot 93.7 in Hartford or, Power 93.9 in Wichita then I could see V-100 being threatened by its existence. However, this station is so bubble gum like that I feel like the only people whom remotely care at CC's Milwaukee cluster are the sales managers that handle Radio Now. It's hilarious how people still see rhythmic as something urban stations care about nowadays. The note is if it isn't urban leaning then it has no effect at all.

FINALLY!! Somebody gets it! Thank you kilamanjero.

You're right, but Urban-leaning or not they could still lure the younger listeners regardless of who they are targeting.

I don't fully agree about urban stations not caring about Rhythmic CHR's. One of WGCI in Chicago's main competitors is B 96 which is a Rhythmic leaning CHR hence why they added Kiss 103-5. Every market does not follow the same rules.

BrianThaB said:
I don't fully agree about urban stations not caring about Rhythmic CHR's. One of WGCI in Chicago's main competitors is B 96 which is a Rhythmic leaning CHR hence why they added Kiss 103-5. Every market does not follow the same rules.

The reason why CC's Chicago cluster added Kiss 105.3 was to chip away at B96.3's billing and protect WGCI's billing. It was a strategic move made by the market management. Ratings and target demo of both stations only overlay in small portions, but WGCI is programmed more towards adults 18+ whereas Kiss and B96.3 are targeting those 12-24 years in age.

But that's Chicago. In Milwaukee, WRNW was supposed to protect WKKV in the first place from WXSS. Unfortunately, WRNW has done better in the PPMs than WKKV, and WXSS has benefited the most out of this. Plus Saga also owns Urban AC WJMR, which also plays a factor behind WNRG's launch.

BrianThaB said:

I've been listening to 106.9 all week, and even though it's not as "mainstream" as KISS and NOW, it's still "too mainstream" for Urban listeners. If they really want to become a threat to V100, they'll need to start playing hardcore, non-crossover hip hop (Rick Ross, Waka Flocka, Young Jeezy, Chief Keef, etc) and mix in a little more R&B. (Miguel, Keyshia Cole, Beyonce's newer material, Frank Ocean, etc......real R&B, not the "R&P" you hear on Top 40 radio......)

J. Rob said:
I've been listening to 106.9 all week, and even though it's not as "mainstream" as KISS and NOW, it's still "too mainstream" for Urban listeners. If they really want to become a threat to V100, they'll need to start playing hardcore, non-crossover hip hop (Rick Ross, Waka Flocka, Young Jeezy, Chief Keef, etc) and mix in a little more R&B. (Miguel, Keyshia Cole, Beyonce's newer material, Frank Ocean, etc......real R&B, not the "R&P" you hear on Top 40 radio......)

Similar to Hot 1029/WDHT in Dayton.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom