• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Something good about WJR

Matt8650

Frequent Participant
I was listening to the Michigan State-Boise State game Friday night, and it took me back to listening to the Tigers, Red Wings, Sports Wrap, and the like on WJR in the late 90's, and man that signal is great. (It probably wouldn't happen, and the Tigers games most days are on the #1 station in Detroit, so there's no incentive, but it would be cool to hear Tigers games again on 760 am). I recently looked at the ratings for Detroit, and noticed WJR has been on an uptick lately. Now, as a Sports, Rock guy, I only listen to WJR when there is a game on, so my question is why can't WJR be like other 50.000 watt stations that have great ratings and also pull in people. Is it programming? I just think a station with the signal and reach of WJR should threaten the top 5. WWJ with a signal that gets beat up at times around Ann Arbor, but is pretty good consistently does well. This is where I lean on people who Listen to WJR, or maybe you don't. And don't worry, this is probably my last post for a few days. Any replies are welcome.

I was listening to the Michigan State-Boise State game Friday night, and it took me back to listening to the Tigers, Red Wings, Sports Wrap, and the like on WJR in the late 90's, and man that signal is great.

The number of AM broadcast band receivers in the useful daytime and nighttime coverage areas of WJR exceeds those of any/every other AM station licensed to Detroit, Windsor, or their suburbs.

This is the result of the non-directional fields radiated 24/7 by WJR from their 195-degree monopole antenna system with 50 kW of applied power at the feedpoint, and the population densities in such areas.

Therefore the ratings of WJR depend much more on their program content than on their ability to provide a useful signal to those receivers.

But with that said, How does WJR seem to only be able to get a 4.4 or slightly higher or lower when stations like WTAM, WBBM, KMOX, WLW, KDKA, and other pockets of 50.000 watt class A stations have higher ratings? Are they local enough? are they too syndicated?

WJR is competing not only with a crowded field of other spoken-word stations, but with its own past. Is there anyone now who can command the kind of listener loyalty and allegiance that J.P. McCarthy used to? No disrespect to anyone there now, but all these years later, he's still too tough an act to follow for many of that station's 35-64 core, most of whom probably grew up with him and remember him. Let's also remember that for many, WJR meant Ernie Harwell and the Tigers.

How do you move beyond that one-two punch?

Some stations succeed in building a brand that transcends any one or two personalities.

Others struggle.

I think WJR becoming yet another of the arch-conservative propaganda outlets offends a lot of its former audience. It might feed into the white-flight racism that persists in many suburban homes, but it's a far cry from the tone and content of "the Goodwill Station" that represented the best of what Detroit had to offer to the Lower Great Lakes region. But that was a long timne ago now.

In P25-54, WJR is a complete non-factor outside of morning drive and Rush.

The ratings fall off a cliff in afternoon drive, at night, and during the weekend. During those times, the audience very much skews 55+.

WJR's billing during Michigan's recession fell at a somewhat faster pace than most of the area's other stations. WJR is billing maybe 50% of what it did in the late 90's. The rise of 97-1 The Ticket, which earns incredibly strong ratings in the money demo, has only served to speed-up WJR's slide toward irrelevance. They are going to have to reinvent themselves sometime this decade, or else I have a strong feeling they will be on the Endangered list by the time 2020 rolls around.

@MarkW: First off, thanks for the reply. And looking at WJR'S weekend schedule, I agree with you. Who's listening to that programming on the weekend under 50? I also can believe you when you say WJR is billing 50% of what it did in the late 90's. At that time of course, they had their talk shows, but had Michigan football, basketball, Red Wings hockey, and Tigers baseball, so that helped perhaps.

jry said:
So, who has U of M football in Detroit?
That would be NewsRadio 950 WWJ. Good signal for most of the state, but could be tricky around Ann Arbor because of stations on 950 in Chicago and Philadelphia. But if I remember correctly, Michigan Football is on 1050 am and 102.9 fm, so you would really want to hear WWJ if you didn't listen to those stations in Ann Arbor.

Matt8650 said:
jry said:
So, who has U of M football in Detroit?
That would be NewsRadio 950 WWJ. Good signal for most of the state, but could be tricky around Ann Arbor because of stations on 950 in Chicago and Philadelphia. But if I remember correctly, Michigan Football is on 1050 am and 102.9 fm, so you would really want to hear WWJ if you didn't listen to those stations in Ann Arbor.

I was driving around on Saturday and i could swear i punched 950 (preset number 3) on the radio. Nada. They still run HD and it sounds pretty good in the Truck.

Is Michael Savage show coming to WJR? he recently signed a deal with Cumulus which O@O WJR. He indicates on his website, that he will be on WJR starting Oct 23, but so far no mention on WJR website schedule.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom