• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Facts: Q/Power's Chart Playing + Conservatism

ccinsider

Inactive
Inactive User
Putting all reservations about CC or Cumulus aside: here are the facts about songs from the CHR/Top 40 chart that Power and/or Q plays. P/Q means that both stations play this song. P means that only Power plays this song. Q means that only q100 plays this song.

DEMI LOVATO Give Your Heart A Break P/Q
ELLIE GOULDING Lights P/Q
FLO RIDA Whistle P
KATY PERRY Wide Awake P/Q
DAVID GUETTA Titanium f/Sia P/Q
PINK Blow Me (One Last Kiss) P/Q
NEON TREES Everybody Talks P/Q
CALVIN HARRIS Let's Go f/Ne-Yo P/Q
OWL CITY Good Time f/ Carly Rae Jepsen P/Q
CHER LLOYD Want U Back Q
MAROON 5 One More Night P/Q
MAROON 5 Payphone f/Wiz Khalifa P playing whole thing, Q not playing rap part (counts 1/2)
JUSTIN BIEBER As Long As You Love Me P/Q
RIHANNA Where Have You Been P/Q
TAYLOR SWIFT We Are Never Ever Getting... P/Q
FUN. Some Nights Q
NICKI MINAJ Pound The Alarm P
ALEX CLARE Too Close P
USHER Scream P/Q
NO DOUBT Settle Down P/Q
CHRIS BROWN Don't Wake Me Up P
JASON MRAZ I Won't Give Up Q
KELLY CLARKSON Dark Side Q
KARMIN Hello P/Q
THE WANTED Chasing The Sun P/Q
TRAIN 50 Ways To Say Goodbye Q
DAVID GUETTA I Can Only Imagine f/C. Brown NONE
OLLY MURS Heart Skips A Beat P/Q
NE-YO Let Me Love You Mediabase says none play it.
LINKIN PARK Burn It Down Q
CONOR MAYNARD Vegas Girl Mediabase: none
PITBULL Get It Started f/Shakira P/Q
PHILLIP PHILLIPS Home Q
MATCHBOX TW... She's So Mean Q
BIG TIME RUSH Windows Down none
GROUPLOVE Tongue Tied P
ENRIQUE IGLES... Finally Found You f/S. Adams P
ED SHEERAN The A Team Q
TREY SONGZ 2 Reasons f/T.I. none
CHRIS WALLACE Remember When (Push Rewind) none
AUSTIN MAHONE Say Somethin Q
MARINA/DIAM.... Primadonna none
ZEDD Spectrum f/Matthew Koma none
AFROJACK & SHERMANOLOGY Can't Stop Me P
ONE DIRECTION One Thing P/Q
TREY SONGZ Heart Attack none
WIZ KHALIFA Work Hard, Play Hard none
KANYE WEST Mercy f/Big Sean/Pusha T... none
OUTASIGHT Now Or Never P/Q
BRIDGIT MEND... Ready Or Not Q

Power 96.1= 27 songs off the CHR/Top40 Mediabase Chart
q100Atlanta= 31.5 songs off the CHR/Top40 Mediabase Chart

Which one is playing more current songs off the chart? Q100.

We'll see where this goes.

Power is NEW, so they are going to have a more limited playlist at first to attract listeners with familiar music... it's already starting to loosen up a bit and I still think it's better than Q100 as it is right now.

atlmike said:
Power is NEW, so they are going to have a more limited playlist at first to attract listeners with familiar music... it's already starting to loosen up a bit and I still think it's better than Q100 as it is right now.

Damn it you beat me to it within minutes!

But like I said, Power is new so of course they're conservative, and it also makes sense when it comes to their strategy to quickly win listeners from Q who are used to Q. However, they'll eventually shift to include more hits and recurrents as well. It's not like clearchannel to ignore top 40 hip hop or rhythmic hits that crossover. I guess since they're both so strictly mainstream chr top 40's, there would still be a void without WiLD since they're the only ones who'll play rhythmic hits that "aren't good enough" for urban territory but also too rhythmic for top 40.

I guess I also misunderstood the definition of "conservative" in this case. I thought it strictly meant a chr that leans adult that doesn't want to touch anything too urban or rhythmic sounding. Didn't know it just meant a chr that holds back on songs, but at least with this definition I was still using the term halfway right this whole time.

Dying to see what Power's mix shows will sound like. And WiLD's new mixshows to come as well. I miss the good ol' days of Q100's early 00's mixshows.

Also didn't know Zedd - Spectrum was in the top 40. Victory for dance fans nationwide.

KDM 7000 said:
Dying to see what Power's mix shows will sound like. And WiLD's new mixshows to come as well. I miss the good ol' days of Q100's early 00's mixshows.

Also didn't know Zedd - Spectrum was in the top 40. Victory for dance fans nationwide.

I think a mix show would be great. It has been one of WiLD's better features.

I wonder why Q isn't playing Don't Wake Me Up or Too Close. They seem like very CHR-friendly, maybe even mainstream AC. Q's music selection just doesn't make sense.

ccinsider said:
I wonder why Q isn't playing Don't Wake Me Up or Too Close. They seem like very CHR-friendly, maybe even mainstream AC. Q's music selection just doesn't make sense.

One thing I've noticed is that some stations nationwide don't necessarily fully follow one particular chart. Some will do maybe 80% of one chart then the top 5 hits from another chart as an attempt to lean a certain direction, fulfill a niche sound as much as possible, to compete with another station, etc. I'm not 100% sure how Q is operating, but they do seem to have a small percentage of the Hot AC charts in their consideration rather than just straight CHR.

I notice this happens with rhythmics, urbans, and other formats as well. Some rhythmics lean more on the urban side. Some more on the pop side. There are urbans that can lean on the rhythmic side as well. We had a local chr station that leaned dance - they played either the danciest or hottest hits from the top 40 list and maybe the top 5 or so hits from the dance charts to achieve a dance lean. Q100 is a chr that leans on the adult side because they want some of Star's wealthy audience. At least this is what I've heard over and over and over again. I wonder which audience Power is going after.

Which version of "Lights" is Power playing? Here in Albany NY, I've heard the Bassnectar version on FLY 92, but B95 and Kiss play the album version (FLY used to only play the album version but switched exclusively to the remix)

ccinsider said:

Star isn't playing Too Close yet either - my guess is both stations are concerned about the dubstep-souding chorus, so they're waiting until it gets extremely familiar before adding it

Don't Wake Me Up is only in the 20s on the CHR chart, and Q likes to wait until stuff is Top 20

ccinsider said:
Putting all reservations about CC or Cumulus aside: here are the facts about songs from the CHR/Top 40 chart that Power and/or Q plays. P/Q means that both stations play this song. P means that only Power plays this song. Q means that only q100 plays this song.
FUN. Some Nights Q
ED SHEERAN The A Team Q

Are you sure Q100 is playing these? They never added them, and they're not in Q100's Top 50

atlantaboy said:
ccinsider said:
FUN. Some Nights Q
ED SHEERAN The A Team Q

Are you sure Q100 is playing these? They never added them, and they're not in Q100's Top 50

Mediabase's website says so....

atlantaboy said:
Star isn't playing Too Close yet either - my guess is both stations are concerned about the dubstep-souding chorus, so they're waiting until it gets extremely familiar before adding it

I posted about this song being ignored by many chr's in the Radio Nerds group on facebook and someone told me it's getting "ignored" because it's still somewhere in the top 50 but not top 40. I did not research any further to see if that was true.

KDM 7000 said:
atlantaboy said:

I posted about this song being ignored by many chr's in the Radio Nerds group on facebook and someone told me it's getting "ignored" because it's still somewhere in the top 50 but not top 40. I did not research any further to see if that was true.

I'm think it's Top 20 now, with a pretty large bullet - it also hit #1 on the Alternative chart

atlantaboy said:
ccinsider said:
FUN. Some Nights Q
ED SHEERAN The A Team Q

Does Q run any countdown shows that might make it look like they're playing those?

They did once have a Fox All Access countdown on Saturday's. Not sure if they still do. It was that what once fooled me and had me thinking they added Edward Maya much earlier than I thought. They do play a lot of stuff from top 40 countdown shows in their Saturday Night mix, which is 10p-2a, with 1-2a being a repeat of the first hour of the mix. Whatever songs are played in that repeated hour in addition to being on the countdown shows will appear to be in rotation in most played track lists until about Tuesday or so when they get wiped out. Mixshows are also what used to cause "I gotta feeling" by Black Eyed Peas and a few other similar things to register on V103.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom