• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

99X stunting

danman425 said:
Ughh this is really starting to make no sense. Perhaps 99X will go to 100.5 or 100.5 will be similar. Something is definitely going to happen to 100.5 considering the meeting and their announcement on their facebook page. We just don't know what, as for now I'm with Brent I'm done with Atlanta radio until some part of this mess is fixed.

That's what my ad sale friends are telling me, at least the ones still involved w/ Cumulus.

Well, if you look at some of the other active rockers in the Cumulus stable, such as 96rock/Cincinnati, you'll see that their active rockers are new-skewing (by that I mean almost no pre-90s) and they have an Alternative lean. Granted you will hear none of the indie, minus Black Keys, but they take a few tunes from the Alt chart.

And the first song played on 98.9 the Bone..."A Warrior's Call" by Volbeat. Good call! Still would've liked to have seen 99X make it to their 20th anniversary.

One of the most modest launches I have heard in a while. Journey had a much bigger launch. Granted, Cumulus had to strike while the iron was hot.

The 99X stream at 99x.com and on iHeartRadio is webcasting Bone. No word, unlike last time, about 99X going Web-only.

One of the hosts from a 99xrock show is hinting at something coming and telling people to hang in there with "hmmm" and "?????" appearing at the end of his status. Something is still coming and cumulus is going to pull it. I truley expect alternative coming to 100.5. BUT I did not expect project to be cut either so I could be wrong. Sad week for rock heads in atlanta. Hopefully this will turn around.

Nice. These corporate scum buckets give us even less choice.
Theyre just doing their level best to kill terrestrial radio are they not?
Maybe that is their master plan, send it to the crapper, then go cry to the government for bail out loans like the automakers did. Funny how that works, those small government types shout "stay out of my business" until THEY need a handout, then it's corporate welfare for all. Only in America.

So now if you want alternative OTA, you either listen to 96.1HD2 (wonder how long they will keep Project 9-6-2 on the air?) or use your smartphone and stream. That what I will be doing, my Pioneer head unit has iPhone app control. No need to use the tuner anymore, except to listen to Album 88 and WRFG.

Gone are my old school R&B Motown music, my 70's and 80s, and now alternative rock, it's either right wing mouthpieces, corporate propaganda, the same 75 pop songs over and over, country, or modern hip-hop- which I am not down with. At least Project 9-6-2 was playing Beastie Boys last night. I guess I'm just too old for corporate radio at 37.

Oh well, sorry Verizon, gonna ride my unlimited plan and suck down the data (until they take it away, then I'll just move to Sprint)

They're giving listeners the choice to listen to active rock again, a format which had been knocked out. How is that reducing choices for listeners, except for Alternative listeners? It's not like they flipped it to CHR or Urban. I fail to understand how they are scum buckets just for blowing up a format that YOU like, even if that format is not bringing in the needed listeners/revenue.

chrocket87 said:
They're giving listeners the choice to listen to active rock again, a format which had been knocked out. How is that reducing choices for listeners, except for Alternative listeners? It's not like they flipped it to CHR or Urban. I fail to understand how they are scum buckets just for blowing up a format that YOU like, even if that format is not bringing in the needed listeners/revenue.

Exactly. Radio is the free version of supply and demand economics. There is current demand for Active Rock, and Cumulus just supplied it.

Supply and demand? In a pig's ass it is.
The bottom line: when a small select few own ALL the terrestrial outlets, we all lose. We have Power 96.1 and Wild, playing pretty much the same stuff. We have Star 94 and Q100 neck to neck playing, the same stuff. We have 97.1 the River and Rock 100.5 playing....wait for it...the same stuff.

If you want to hear anything else: real A/C, AAA, alternative rock, old school R&B, Motown, classic 60s/70s/80s, soft A/C, talk radio OTHER than right wing mouths....you will NOT, EVER get them in THIS market from THESE corporate owners. And don't give me this crap about people don't want to hear it, if this were the case, none of this would exist in other markets (often offers by the same corporate owners, many of them markets bigger than ATL), and on SiriusXM and iHeart Radio.

These people are up to something. In 5 years when it all goes down, and the next president whoever that is, hands over OUR tax money to bail this industry, which is on a suicide mission, out- you can come on here and tell me I am right.

I won't say nobody wants those formats, but they just don't have enough listeners in Atlanta. AGH finished out with a 2.4 I think. Classic Hits gets at least double that share in just about every other market, so it clearly wasn't all that popular in ATL. 99x was getting around a 0.2/0.3 on it's translator stick, do you really think it would beat the 3 share Project was getting? Interesting how I only hear about "radio is dying" from listeners of niche formats. Let's ask listeners of V or Star if they think radio is dying?

Are rock / alternative and oldies niche formats? I'd say dance is, but I always thought rock and oldies were major regular formats. I guess jazz would now be niche as well then.

KDM 7000 said:
Are rock / alternative and oldies niche formats? I'd say dance is, but I always thought rock and oldies were major regular formats. I guess jazz would now be niche as well then.

Alternative is close becoming one. Oldies, not so much, w/ its reincarnation as "classic hits."

ccinsider said:
KDM 7000 said:

Alternative is close becoming one. Oldies, not so much, w/ its reincarnation as "classic hits."

Why the fu@k cant we get a real classic hits station, the River does not cut it, they are classic rock the classic hits, bi polar.

ccinsider said:

Then why don't we have Classic Hits? Almost every other market has one and the ones we have had in the past were nothing like what other markets have.

IT_Guru said:
ccinsider said:

Then why don't we have Classic Hits? Almost every other market has one and the ones we have had in the past were nothing like what other markets have.

Because, unlike most top 10 markets, we are young-skewing population wise.

I bring up AN106.7, they are an all news station. These formats usually attract men 45-64. AN106.7's demo ratings, for the first full month, were pretty good in all demos. Sure, the had better ratings with men 45-64, but did decently with women and men 34-64. There are reasons for this: Melissa Carter's addition and the anchors sounding friendly (they aren't screaming in your face like 1010 WINS anchors do.) But, oldies is different. women and men ages 34-44 might not remember that music. A 44 year old would have been born in 1968, which means they probably don't remember much music until about 1982. This is only about 7 years of the classic hits format. This is why Q100 and Star and B do so well. You have to look at it from a sales perspective, not a ratings perspective.

News is news, and it can be listenable for all ages. Songs you can't remember, is not.

MRFLASHPORT said:
Maybe that is their master plan, send it to the crapper, then go cry to the government for bail out loans like the automakers did. Funny how that works, those small government types shout "stay out of my business" until THEY need a handout, then it's corporate welfare for all. Only in America.

So now if you want alternative OTA, you either listen to 96.1HD2 (wonder how long they will keep Project 9-6-2 on the air?) or use your smartphone and stream. That what I will be doing, my Pioneer head unit has iPhone app control. No need to use the tuner anymore, except to listen to Album 88 and WRFG.

Gone are my old school R&B Motown music, my 70's and 80s, and now alternative rock, it's either right wing mouthpieces, corporate propaganda, the same 75 pop songs over and over, country, or modern hip-hop- which I am not down with. At least Project 9-6-2 was playing Beastie Boys last night. I guess I'm just too old for corporate radio at 37.

Oh well, sorry Verizon, gonna ride my unlimited plan and suck down the data (until they take it away, then I'll just move to Sprint)

Nomination for bizarrest post of the year. The government will bail out radio companies.

I'm not joking.
In my business, I've heard more than enough that the Feds, especially FEMA, are concerned for the overall "health and long term outlook for commercial broadcast media, as it is a vital component of the EAS network." FEMA does have a cache of FM and AM LP facilities on wheels, but they also recognize the shortcomings of such. During every major disaster, including the recent storm, local broadcasters play a vital role in response.

Keeping facilities operational isn't just one of engineering and keeping the building itself intact, but financially stable. They know that if commercial stations aren't making money, they go dark. This is true for AM, FM and OTA TV. They know that these are the FIRST place most turn when disaster strikes. FEMA is authorized to make emergency funding available for any private entity needed for disaster response or preparedness of an impending disaster (hurricane, etc), without congressional approval. Do the math. There is some justification for keeping broadcast facilities on the air regardless of cost. No Internet based service is reliable, robust and available as broadcast radio. It's everywhere, in every home, in everyone's car, office, you name it- every person is never more than a few feet from a radio. Portable radios top the list of every 72 hour kit.

The radio industry is running out of time, and I am talking long term sustainability. You can bet I am not the only one who sees this coming. It would be foolish to suggest that the Federal government is not looking at this possibility, especially at FEMA, and planning accordingly.

Getting the funding to keep ALL those facilities alive would indeed involve congress, and there's nothing like Washington, paid for by industry lobbyists, to scare people into supporting whatever they want to get their way. Now that the precedent was set for the auto industry and banks, do you REALLY think it CANNOT happen in this industry?

Now watch what happens when listeners slowly move to other media outlets (Internet, streaming devices, etc), and advertisers start pulling their accounts from broadcast media, what do you think is going to happen? No bank in their right mind will extend letters of credit to an industry with no future. That industry will look to their friends in Congress for a corporate welfare handout, based on the "public need" for such facilities (which I do agree to some extent is valid), and they will get it. They WILL have support of FEMA, Red Cross, state EMA's and most local public safety. Speaking from the context of someone in public safety, the last thing we have time for is dealing with disseminating information. We need local media to get the word out.

So trust me when I say, they will have NO PROBLEM handing over billions to keep Cox, Clear Channel and Cumulus up and running when ad dollars run out.

Okay, where do I start?

Keeping facilities operational isn't just one of engineering and keeping the building itself intact, but financially stable. They know that if commercial stations aren't making money, they go dark. This is true for AM, FM and OTA TV. They know that these are the FIRST place most turn when disaster strikes. FEMA is authorized to make emergency funding available for any private entity needed for disaster response or preparedness of an impending disaster (hurricane, etc), without congressional approval. Do the math. There is some justification for keeping broadcast facilities on the air regardless of cost. No Internet based service is reliable, robust and available as broadcast radio. It's everywhere, in every home, in everyone's car, office, you name it- every person is never more than a few feet from a radio. Portable radios top the list of every 72 hour kit.

FEMA has the right to tell a station that they have to air emergency information, but they MOST CERTAINLY CANNOT own and operate or take over a radio station. That is federally-controlled media, which BTW is against the law in the US.

Now watch what happens when listeners slowly move to other media outlets (Internet, streaming devices, etc), and advertisers start pulling their accounts from broadcast media, what do you think is going to happen? No bank in their right mind will extend letters of credit to an industry with no future. That industry will look to their friends in Congress for a corporate welfare handout, based on the "public need" for such facilities (which I do agree to some extent is valid), and they will get it. They WILL have support of FEMA, Red Cross, state EMA's and most local public safety. Speaking from the context of someone in public safety, the last thing we have time for is dealing with disseminating information. We need local media to get the word out.

Being in the business I am in, advertisers are staying in the radio stations. They are even expanding and want to advertise more. Somebody might have quite their newspaper subscription, but since radio is still free (unlimited 3g iphones are not), they will keep hearing ads.

RTibbs said:
MRFLASHPORT said:

Nomination for bizarrest post of the year. The government will bail out radio companies.

Your right, the "FEMA" conspiracy is a bit over the top but Mr.Flash is passionate about the format loss in your market.

Seriously I'm sorry for your format loss, but it's just radio... After 40 plus years in the business one thing I learned early on and the reason I'm still successfully employed in the industry is the plain and simple fact radio is NOT an art form, it is a business. If a format can generate the required numbers for the "bottom line" it will be available. It matters not whether it is music, talk, test tones, whatever. If it makes the required money it survives. If not, it is sadly replaced. I've seen it all since I started on-air in 1972. Back in the day I never thought the Beatles would become a rarity on AM Radio...yet.
Times and tastes change.

Seriously I'm sorry for your format loss, but it's just radio... After 40 plus years in the business one thing I learned early on and the reason I'm still successfully employed in the industry is the plain and simple fact radio is NOT an art form, it is a business. If a format can generate the required numbers for the "bottom line" it will be available. It matters not whether it is music, talk, test tones, whatever. If it makes the required money it survives. If not, it is sadly replaced. I've seen it all since I started on-air in 1972. Back in the day I never thought the Beatles would become a rarity on AM Radio...yet.
Times and tastes change.

It is a business. AAA/alt. makes money, but there was a format hole to fill. Again, adding more choice for the ex-Project listeners.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom