• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Local am station going half gospel and half news

woga-radio.com

New Participating Member
Hi Everyone'
wzoo radio has been southern gospel for 20 years.Now the new owner can not make enough
money playing gospel.So now he thinks he can make more money putting the news on half of the day.I worked at the station for 4 years and when he started putting on the news I has to quit. I could not take the same old news over and over.I think if this guy did not think he could make it work with gospel,he should not have bought wzoo.
I said that.
Bobby

woga-radio.com said:
Hi Everyone'
wzoo radio has been southern gospel for 20 years.Now the new owner can not make enough
money playing gospel.So now he thinks he can make more money putting the news on half of the day.I worked at the station for 4 years and when he started putting on the news I has to quit. I could not take the same old news over and over.I think if this guy did not think he could make it work with gospel,he should not have bought wzoo.
I said that.
Bobby

Seems like to me if he bought the station, he can do whatever he wants to with it!! I'll give 10,000 for it and go back to RocknRoll like it used to be! ::)

Which half of the day is news now? If the split is am/pm drive for one and the rest of the day for the other it may work. Otherwise the people who listen on the way to work in the am will switch to something else in the pm...and many who punch the button once won't punch it twice to return.

But then again, I've been away from radio for 20 years now and a lot of the radio thinking is different now.

Later . . . .

low band signal...but daytime only on a clear channel and directional with TIGHT nulls away from ALL populated areas of the triad...according to radio-locator charlotte has a better signal on wzoo than greensboro...audio quality is poor at best, I heard the news, it repeats every 5 minutes, it can probably make some money with the right format but not make anyone rich. At the end of the day, its the owners radio station, he can do what he wants to it (within the law) if he wants to air animal noises all day he can and with a callsign of wzoo it could work lol

The music on the station seems to have improved, but that's not much of a compliment considering how bad the station sounded before. And according to my research, the new licensee is RCR of Randolph. Fred Keith of Atlanta, GA. is listed as the president. Mr Keith put the station on the air back in 1971 with Dave Hedrick programing it. You used to be able to listen to WZOO in the parking lot of a famous AM station located at 400 Radio Road in Charlotte. I always thought WZOO sounded great in the old days. I hope the new management is as successful as they can be given the state of AM in 2012.

Noticed on radio locator that WZOO AM Asheboro has been granted a CP to change their frequency from 710 - 700 khz and to operate with a non directional antenna. Has anybody listened recently? This should improve their signal to the north. I also found the following on the WZOO facebook page:

PROGRAM CHANGES AT WZOO, effective Monday, March 11th:

"Praise Time" (with Sister Shirley) will have a new time. It will now air during the Noon Hour, every Monday and Wednesday.

Pastor Neil Poole/Mt. Calvary Independent Baptist Church has a new time slot, at 1:30 weekday afternoons. Weekend schedule unchanged.

Hear Andrea Tanteros (seen on the Fox News Channel, from TRN) every weekday morning, 9am to noon.

At this time, there are no changes to the weekend schedule to be announced. TRN (News) has been extended weekdays, it is now from sign-on until noon. Gospel music and programs will run noon to 3pm, then TRN returns 3pm to sign-off.

One of my former employers tried splitting Christian blocks with news/talk. The Christian block sponsors left, never to return. When the billing fell to $3k he wanted me to come back and fix it.

I did, but it took a format change of sorts and two years.

I wish these folks well, but..been there, done that. The results were not good.

I just don't see this one working out either.

...And yes I'm trying to get a new LPFM radio station started for my own hometown.

Was thinking about going block but after reading these accounts of failure, I better leave that idea alone.

It would be best for me to stick with one format and run with it.

Success would be my best friend with that one.

From your favorite Alabama poster...R.D.P. <><

Imagine their promotional slogans... GOOD NEWS Gospel!, or, Top of the hour, Time for the Gospel Truth News...

Seriously, I've heard some great Gospel radio in my time, but I'm laying odds that this brand of half 'n half just won't mix well. Hopefully they'll wake up and smell the coffee (sorry, couldn't resist)...

Alan, i agree.
the gospel audience expects
gospel at 2AM or 3PM or 4:22:13:01.
in other words: all gospel or nothing.

I agree guys its needs to be one or the other..Are they gonna block out the ads on national news for beer,TV..condoms etc that you sometimes hear..Network is not gonna like that..I feel for a small local owner but you have to go 110% with one or the other...Years ago I worked in a similar situation it did not go well.

triadradionewsman said:
Noticed on radio locator that WZOO AM Asheboro has been granted a CP to change their frequency from 710 - 700 khz and to operate with a non directional antenna. Has anybody listened recently? This should improve their signal to the north. I also found the following on the WZOO facebook page:

PROGRAM CHANGES AT WZOO, effective Monday, March 11th:

"Praise Time" (with Sister Shirley) will have a new time. It will now air during the Noon Hour, every Monday and Wednesday.THERE IS NO MORE PRAISE TIME SISTER SHIRLEY QUIT AND PASTOR NEIL POOLE STOPPED THE WEEKDAY PROGRAM AND I FOR ONE DON'T BLAME THEMPastor Neil Poole/Mt. Calvary Independent Baptist Church has a new time slot, at 1:30 weekday afternoons. Weekend schedule unchanged.

Hear Andrea Tanteros (seen on the Fox News Channel, from TRN) every weekday morning, 9am to noon.

At this time, there are no changes to the weekend schedule to be announced. TRN (News) has been extended weekdays, it is now from sign-on until noon. Gospel music and programs will run noon to 3pm, then TRN returns 3pm to sign-off.
there

he real story about wzoo radio new owner.If you go to the www.wzooradio.com web site you will see that they still list me working and if you click on the listen on the web you will hear my internet radiostation www.wogaradio.com.

I worked at WZOO Radio for about 5 years. 2 years I worked with no salary with the promise that after 2 years,
I could buy the license from D. W. Long, owner. Mr. Long's daughter, Martha Baity has the Power of Attorney, and Huey Turner managed the radio station. I have emails proving that the license was offered to me for $10.000.

After the 2 years were up and the license that was to be signed over to me, I contacted an attorney and he informed me that he would not handle the case until I had a lease agreement from the owner of the land and equipment
which is Fred Keith of Atlanta GA. Mr. Keith was willing to sign a lease agreement but decided not to and Mr. Long said he would sign the license to me even if Mr. Keith was not willing to the lease. At this time Mr Keith informed
Mr. Long. and Martha that he would sue them for back lease monies that was owed to him! Mr. Long was still willing to sell me the license until Mr. Keith said he would take action against him,

I cannot blame Mr. Long because he had no idea that Mr. Keith would take the action that he took. I cannot blame Mr. Keith because he was really owner of the radio station. The 2 years that I worked for free, I made a lot of improvements at no cost to the station. After my wife and
I found out that Mr. Keith stopped me from buying the license, my wife contacted the FCC person over North Carolina . She let them know that violations of the FCC were being broken which includes no fencing around the towers, no lighting on the towers, no locks on the tower tuning buildings
and she was concerning of children getting hold of the 1,000 watt towers. She was also concerned about children climbing the towers and falling to their deaths.
The person at the FCC was not really concerned unless a written complaint was submitted and he said if they closed the station, the small county would not have a radio station. My wife said she got on the Internet and filed complaint but did not hear anything from it.
When I worked at WZOO the transmitter was only making less then 800 watts.Years ago when I got my first FCC licence you could only go 5% over and 10 % less then your licence power.I paid a engineer to work on the old gates transmitter to get it to license power to meet FCC rules

But I have a real concern because Mr. Keith has turned WZOO from a Gospel station into a mostly news station. I worked at WZOO a total of five years and I have gotten to know a lot of the listeners. Most of the listeners are on fixed income and the highlight of their day is to call the station
to give testimonies and a lot of the listeners are confined to their homes and they got a lot of enjoyment when they called the station and requesting a song be played for them.
At this point in time there is no calling the station for testimonies or music requests. I know that is being missed.

Bobby,

This station is a mess, in a lot of ways. The programming is the least of these. Under the asset purchase agreement, Mr. Keith bought the station back for $5k while releasing Faith/Mr. Long
from $285k in debt still owed for the purchase price.

Then the tower site problems...that one FCC person was asleep at the desk, because stations
receive NALs for $10k and up based on the conditions you cite.

The FCC field office in Tampa received an anonymous letter complaining about a station in my market. Based on that letter and the visit they received soon after, the station, which had a fence down at the tower, received a $7k fine.

The only way you can do anything is to lease it yourself from Mr. Keith. If he won't do it, just walk away. That may be best anyway.

Been through this and eventually had to walk when the owner just would not consider any kind of deal. Studio building sits boarded up now.

Bobby, If WZOO was a horse, I would shoot it and put it out of its misery. I realize you wanted to own your own station and are disappointed in not having the opportunity, but I think someday you are going to realize Mr. Keith did you a favor. I listen to this station frequently for laughs (I'm addicted to bad radio). I'm not sure when D.W. Long and his people acquired the license, but in my opinion, the station has been a joke since then. Possibly even before, as I'm sure it was probably going down hill a long time before they took over. Its great for WZOO to finally go non directional with a frequency change which has increased the coverage to the north, but from a programming stand point its STILL a joke. The network news runs most of the day with very little local input other than the weather, and that depends on who happens to be running the board. The female board ops have problems even reading the weather, which for me makes the station even more appealing (again I enjoy bad radio). The local network news avails aren't being covered and the same old burned out network commercials selling "snake Oil" and get "rich schemes" play over & over. There is no local news, not that I am naive enough to expect it, but local PSA's and station promos would be somewhat of an improvement rather than playing the same network commercials over & over. I could go on and on. I do believe Asheboro & Randolph County need a local station, its too bad Fred Keith doesn't, but it IS his station and he can do what he wants with it. He's in Atlanta and doesn't have to listen.

You mention there were FCC violations and safety concerns. I’m not familiar with “the FCC person over North Carolina”, but I assume the FCC still has an office in Norfolk, VA which is responsible for inspecting and writing citations to broadcast stations in NC. And a letter to the Washington office can get results when there’s been a question or complaint. As to the safety issues, if I had not gotten any results from the FCC, I would have contacted the local sheriff, fire, or health departments, maybe even someone in Raleigh. And with no results from those agencies, I’m sure someone at the competing station across town, 1260 WKXR would have been more than happy to make the right agency aware of the issue. It appears you complained about the violations as a way to get back at Mr. Keith for blocking the sale to you.

I listened once or twice to Sister Shirley before she left, but there seemed to be a small number of people calling in and giving their testimonies. For a radio station to be successful as a business, you need an audience large enough to make it worthwhile for advertisers to get results. If, as you say, most of the listeners are on fixed incomes, the audience isn’t what most advertisers are looking for. If the station has more than 50 listeners it would be surprising to me. Of course I could be wrong, but it seems when I listened there were only 5 or 6 different callers when Sister Shirley took telephone calls on her program. If you feel you have a calling to help these listeners perhaps you should contact one of the area churches which had a program on WZOO and see if they could purchase the station and make it a true ministry rather than a commercial business.

Please keep us updated on your progress.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom