• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

TV stations owned by colleges/universities

nomadcowatbk

Star Participant
Many PBS stations are owned by colleges/universities, the only commercials stations I now there were owned by any KOMU and WNDU

nomadcowatbk said:
Many PBS stations are owned by colleges/universities, the only commercials stations I now there were owned by any KOMU and WNDU

KOMU is still owned by the University of Missouri, though WNDU was sold a few years back to Gray Television.

I believe the University of Iowa formerly owned WOI-TV in Ames, the ABC affiliate now owned by Citadel; and Loyola University previously owned WWL-TV in New Orleans (which Belo now owns today).

Milwaukee Area Technical College owns both WMVS & WMVT Milwaukee, & both are PBS (WMVS being the general PBS channel, while WMVT has instructional programming available during the week, & PBS programming in other timeslots.

Grand Valley University in Michigan owns the WGVU/WGVK simulcast (WGVU licemsed to Grand Rapids, & WGVK licensed to Kalamazoo).

Ball State University in Muncie Indiana owns PBS station WIPB.

WTIU Bloomington, IN is owned by Indiana University Bloomington, & is PBS.

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign owns PBS station WILL-TV in Urbana, IL

The Arizona Board of Regents owns KAET Phoenix and KUAT Tucson, but each station is operated by the respective university(s).

KUHT Houston (PBS) is licensed to the University of Houston.

As previously mentioned WTVI/Charlotte is now owned by Central Piedmont Community College.

I forgot to add one from Chicago. WYCC, owned by City Colleges of Chicago. The other 2 are owned by non-profit organizations.

azumanga said:
nomadcowatbk said:

KOMU is still owned by the University of Missouri, though WNDU was sold a few years back to Gray Television.

I believe the University of Iowa formerly owned WOI-TV in Ames, the ABC affiliate now owned by Citadel; and Loyola University previously owned WWL-TV in New Orleans (which Belo now owns today).

Iowa State University owned WOI. Some have suggested that University of Iowa loyalists were behind the forced sale of WOI by the State Board of Regents. Another bit of trivia...the funding for WOI-TV came out of a slush fund attached to uranium enriching for the Manhattan project in WWII.

University of North Carolina technically owns 12 stations as well as an extensive network of translators. IIRC the stations are all licensed to the UNC Board of Governors.

Also, WTVI/Charlotte (the state's only non-UNC noncom) is owned by Central Piedmont Community College.

Can't forget KAMU in College Station, TX - Texas A&M University.

I have fond memories working there while in college.

J

azumanga said:
I believe the University of Iowa formerly owned WOI-TV in Ames, the ABC affiliate now owned by Citadel;

Iowa State. (not that it matters anymore :) )

EJM said:
Howard University: WHUT (which is non-commercial, although the co-owned FM station [WHUR] is commercial)

University of Akron, Kent State University, and Youngstown State University (as a consortium): Western Reserve PBS

Ohio State University: WOSU

Ohio University: WOUB

Bowling Green State University: WBGU

University of Wisconsin–Extension: Wisconsin Public Television

Central Michigan University: CMU Public Television

Delta College: WDCQ

Northern Michigan University: WNMU

Michigan State University: WKAR

University of Utah: KUED

Utah State Board of Regents: KUEN

Brigham Young University: KBYU

University of New Mexico: KNME and KNMD

Eastern New Mexico University: KENW

New Mexico State University: KRWG

Washburn University: KTWU

Pensacola Junior College: WSRE

University of Florida: WUFT

Florida State University: WFSU

University of South Florida: WUSF

Florida Gulf Coast University: WGCU

Brevard Community College: WBCC

Daytona State College: WDSC

Bates Technical College: KBTC

University of Central Missouri: KMOS

University of North Carolina: UNC-TV

Southern Illinois University: WSIU

Eastern Illinois University: WEIU

Vincennes University: WVUT

University of Alaska Fairbanks: KUAC (which is once again on their own now that AlaskaOne has folded and the Anchorage, Juneau, and Bethel PBS stations are now one entity)

I went to University of Missouri and interned/worked at KOMU back in the day. I gained an incredible amount of experience working at a commercial station in college. Missouri students are incredibly fortunate to have that opportunity.

KOMU also ran the cable only WB 100+ station at the time, which I now believe is a CW station on one of their digital subchannels.

For a time, Boston University owned a commercial TV station, WABU-68 (now WBPX).

The statewide New Hampshire public television network is owned by the University of New Hampshire, but plans have begun that will spin-off NHPTV into a private-sector nonprofit organization, structured much like Boston's WGBH-2/WGBX-44.

At one time, the statewide PTV networks in Vermont and Maine were owned by the Universities of Vermont and Maine, respectively, but have since been spun-off into private-sector nonprofits.

nomadcowatbk said:
NTV- a bunch of PBS stations in Nebraska owned by the Huskers, who NBC stole their 70s logo from

Actually, only KUON in Lincoln is owned by the University of Nebraska. The remaining stations are licensed by Nebraska Educational Television Commission.

J

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom