• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Sad to Report That Boomer lost his battle this morning.

Sad to report Boomer(KICKS and Y106 weekend DJ from several years back) lost his battle this morning and went to be with the Heavenly Father. I never knew Boomer other than calling the radio station to chit chat and request songs or FB, but he made me feel like a life long friend. He will be missed.....just thought id let the radio world know. God Bless Boomers family and radio family!

We lost Steve Sutton....

Superb Radio Talent....Great Man....Loving Father.

His resume read like the history of winning Atlanta Radio....

Boom was the voice of The Wells Report for the last 3 years....We will miss him desperately.

Steve Sutton....Boomer....RIP.

Jon-David Wells
The Wells Report
660 AM The Answer
Dallas/Ft. Worth.

I am very sorry to hear this. Boomer was a great talent and a great guy.
He'll be missed.

Tom Giglio,
retired

Steve was PD of WQPW in Valdosta in the mid 80's. Hands down---my favorite PD. Steve was genuinely fun to work with. A true talent.

Steve: I hope you have those Neil Sedaka album covers with you----an inside joke.

Rest In peace old friend

Robert LaFore

Boomer made some major contributions to Atlanta radio--Power 99 middays, Star 94 afternoon drive, Lake 102 mornings and more. He was a great CHR jock in his younger days.

My prayers are with his family.

It is indeed sad that we lost Boom. May his family be comforted and know that now God has him and he is finally resting. We will miss you friend. YOU were one that I always listened and learned from this craft we call Radio ! RIP my Friend.

Steve’s funeral will be at the Darby Funeral Home, 480 East Main St, Canton, GA 30114 at 2 PM.

God Bless Chris, and Stacie....And,

Boomer RIP....

J-D
TWR

Sad news. I only knew him from listening to him on the radio. He was lively and brought bigger-than-life personality to those stations I heard him on. My thoughts are with his family and I hope he's in a top market up there.

Boomer used to sub for Jayme Austin on COUNTRY MUSIC TIME on WTLK TV14 (Rome/Atlanta) back in the mid nineties. I was a camera op on that show and worked with him quite a few times. He was a good guy. 59 is way too young these days.

December of 1992 I wanted to do a radio internship, so I got Star 94's number out of the phone book and became Boomer's intern for a month. I recall he was out for awhile even then, and Tom Sullivan filled in. Boomer also did some radio time in North Dakota*, which wasn't mentioned here, and he told me he discovered Mannheim Steamroller ahead of Rush Limbaugh in that time*.

In 1998 I was working at WBHF-AM in Cartersville in the afternoon, and the general manager came in one day and said, "Big news! Boomer's back!" Boomer had started at WBHF in 1972, I think it was, and he returned to do mornings for awhile.

He was also trying to launch his own outdoors magazine and TV show at that time called "Burning Daylight." Seeing the magazine he was doing inspired me to try doing one, too, around music.

Too bad I never got to say "hello"** to him one more time.

* Memory is fuzzy on some of these details, but I feel pretty sure they're right.
** Boomer usually said "How-do, this is Boomer" on the air.

My job as intern was to take the playlist and stack up the carts accordingly. The playlist called for a cart called something like 1234. The only cart I could find similarly labelled was 1234A, but it was in a section that Boomer had said was not to be touched. But there it was, 1234, on the playlist! What was I to do? I got 1234A and put it in the stack.

Twenty minutes later I was examining the newspaper when Boomer flatly said, "Do you realize how stupid we look right now?" Steve McCoy was on the air announcing he was staying on the Braves billboard until they won the World Series. In December.

Turns out 1234 and 1234A were not the same thing. The phone lines lit up, and Boomer said I could feel free to answer them and explain. The program director, who in my memory looked like Conan O'Brien, came in and Boomer explained it, and fortunately there was no big trouble.

That's the only mistake I've ever made, but perhaps it impeded my progress in broadcasting.

I don't remember him being on Kicks,I think he was on 106.7 back in the old Y106&Y104 days,and on Eagle. I heard him say one time that he use to do outdoors in Georgia on GPTV. He will be missed. Ladies and gentlemen Boomer has left the building.:(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom