• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Whats Happened To A.J. On AJ's Playhouse??

600kogo said:
All of the links and association to AJ are completely missing from the Star webiste??? Did AJ get let go?

Per SDRadio.net from All Access, http://blog.sdradio.net/5635/street-whispers-aj-gone-from-94-1/

Confirmed: All Access reports: “Pres./Market Mgr. Debbie Wagner confirmed the changes in a memo to the staff: “I wanted to let you know that we have been negotiating for some time with AJ on his contract and we were not able to reach a workable agreement. As of today, AJ and Hula are no longer a part of the Star team. We thank them both for their contributions to Star and 933′s success over the years and wish them well in their future endeavors.

“I am excited to announce that Delana will continue to be a key part of the show (as she was when AJ and Hula joined her after the Jeff and Jer departure) and that we look forward to announcing our new players soon. Until the new team members are announced, Delana will be working with Jimmy Steele, Haze and guests to keep the Star morning entertainment machine going.”
---

This is a personal hunch, but I could see AJ/Hula "making the switch" from Star94.1 to Energy 103.7 and return to their CHR roots. AJ was great when he was on Channel933 and I can see him and crew being successful doing a morning show @ Energy.

What were his ratings like?

Air talent these days should be lucky to have a job in radio rather than being greedy

quanhth said:
This is a personal hunch, but I could see AJ/Hula "making the switch" from Star94.1 to Energy 103.7 and return to their CHR roots. AJ was great when he was on Channel933 and I can see him and crew being successful doing a morning show @ Energy.

- The timing is too perfect.

quanhth said:

quanhth said:

CBS has not really shown a willingness to pay for talent on 103.7 and leaving one job in hopes of landing elsewhere in the market is a huge roll of the dice in today's market.

But could there have been a handshake agreement between Energy and AJ for once he left Star? I think the current morning/midday guy at 103.7 is working from 9-3 or something like that. I would be very easy to adjust his hours to later in the day and slide in another morning show.

radio-darn said:
What were his ratings like?

Star 94.1 in various age groups was in the top five and mostly in the top three. AJ and Hula have a lot of Energy.

AJ and Hula were both a class act. Their ratings were better than most anything else at Granite Ridge (these days). AJ and hula are smart guys I am sure that they didn't leave just for the heck of it.

radio-darn said:
quanhth said:

CBS has not really shown a willingness to pay for talent on 103.7 and leaving one job in hopes of landing elsewhere in the market is a huge roll of the dice in today's market.

CBS has had the willingness, though, to have a single morning show per market on their new CHR stations. How easy would it have been to syndicate Nick Cannon or Carson Daly to markets like Detroit or Boston or San Diego? They both have national name recognition and host primetime reality tv competitions like some other syndicated morning radio host...

Historically in San Diego only a few syndicated morning shows have done well at all. Howard Stern and Piolin both are the only ones that I can remember that did well in the ratings. And Canon nor Daily are as good as those two, and Energy needs a real draw to get people away from the power house herritage CHR station

It was probably lost in my poorly worded response, but I don't think CBS will syndicate when they launch a morning show on Energy. They will probably pick someone who has already been in the market. I was pointing out that they have some big name talent in large markets that they haven't syndicated, which is a breath of fresh air in today's environment.

justpassingthough said:
It was probably lost in my poorly worded response, but I don't think CBS will syndicate when they launch a morning show on Energy. They will probably pick someone who has already been in the market. I was pointing out that they have some big name talent in large markets that they haven't syndicated, which is a breath of fresh air in today's environment.

Considering 103.7 changes formats every year or two, would AJ have left CC to take a chance on CBS? When you read that he and CC couldn't reach agreement on a contract, it sounds like they wanted to cut his pay, but radio being what it is, there is no marketplace full of stations ready to snap you up at your old salary and and guarantee you any sort of stability.

I completely agree Star 94.1 is not going anywhere, and had they come to an agreement AJ and Hula would have been there for many years to come. 103.7 has not been stable since Group W owned it back in the KJQY days. I have a high respect for CBS, but I would not bet my livelyhood on the format of the month on 103.7. Although this format is already doing far better than Sofie, FM talk, and The Planet. This one might stick??

I do understand CC trying to cut expenses, and in this environment for radio they have to. If that is why AJ and Hula left I wish CC could have kept them it was a good fit on 94.1.

I don't think that Energy is the format of the month. Its another in CBS' nationwide efforts to roll out CHR stations to markets that already have a Clear Channel CHR and compete head to head. They have been doing well in demos in nearly every market- and have brought competition to the marketplace with a solid format that has been performing lights out since the introduction of PPM. This isn't just a flavor of the month or a flash in the pan. It has the backing of a corporation that is large enough to support its growth and nurture the station.

Yes, it could have always done that with the past formats on these stations like Sophie, but Modern AC is a dead format in 2012 and was probably a poor format choice to begin with- whereas CHR is perhaps the strongest of all formats right now. There is a reason that many markets now have 2, if not 3, CHRs and some even have 4 or 5 if you factor in Rhythmic CHRs that largely share the same playlists as mainstream CHRs in many markets.

Well CBS has never (historically) put any effort into 103.7, although it has a great signal. They have always poured the effort into KyXy due to it pouring money into their wallet.

Clear Channel on the other hand has always poured money into their CHR stations. Even when 933 was only a couple of kilowatts from Mt. San Miguel they made it a real powerhouse programming wise.

It will be an interesting turn of evens with AJ and Hula. I am reminded of when Tony and Kris left KSON, and they thought that they were the reason for KSON's success but in reality KSON was responsible for their success.

Clear Channel always had AJ on their two highest rated stations. If they had put him on KUSS or KIOZ I doubt that he would have brought the station ratings.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom