English Radio Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: English Radio Station

  1. #1

    English Radio Station

    Since Puerto Rico is part of the United States (Commonwealth). Does San Juan have an English radio station besides AM 1060 WCBG and AM 1190 WBMJ? Also, is there any NPR stations in Puerto Rico?

  2. #2

    Re: English Radio Station

    Quote Originally Posted by e-dawg
    Since Puerto Rico is part of the United States (Commonwealth). Does San Juan have an English radio station besides AM 1060 WCBG and AM 1190 WBMJ? Also, is there any NPR stations in Puerto Rico?
    I think that you mean 1030 WOSO in San Juan, a news talk station. WBMJ is all religion, and co-operated with WCGB 1060 in Juana Díaz (a Ponce market municipality) and WIVV on the island municipality of Vieques off the SE shore of PR.

    WIPR AM and FM are owned by the Commonwealth government, and have had an NPR relationship primarily for news, but I do not think they have even that now (the website shows affiliation with NPR, The Met Opera, RTVEs, and Radio Netherland) but the program grid shows very little. WIPR FM is classical and the AM is talk, news and Puerto Rican music.

    The reason why there is not any more English language programming is just like the reason why New York City does not have a country station... not enough potential listeners.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  3. #3

    Re: English Radio Station

    When I was in Puerto Rico a few years ago, WIPR-FM sounded much like an NPR Classical station on the mainland, like WQXR or KDFC, except the hosts do all their announcements in Spanish. In the evening, they run some NPR syndicated classical programs in English, including orchestra broadcasts. I also heard Radio Espana classical programs in Spanish as well.

    You can hear some Virgin Island FM stations, all broadcasting in English, in the eastern section of the island. Some come in spotty in San Juan.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Area Code 305
    Posts
    3,279

    Re: English Radio Station

    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg
    ...WIPR-FM...
    A grandfathered superpower class B station which covers much of the island.
    WINZ, Miami, has a null in the direction toward WIPR(AM)
    Ai4i has Always Been on the Trailing Edge of Technology!

  5. #5

    Re: English Radio Station

    Quote Originally Posted by ai4i
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg
    ...WIPR-FM...
    A grandfathered superpower class B station which covers much of the island.
    WINZ, Miami, has a null in the direction toward WIPR(AM)
    It's antenna, at about 4000 ft AMSL, used to produce some wonderful-to-view corona effects as the humid, salt-laden sea air swept by the tower at night.

    They later changed to a different antenna and spacing... it does not glow in the dark any more.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  6. #6

    Re: English Radio Station

    Do the rest of the PR stations broadcast 100% Spanish, or do they throw in a bit of 'Spanglish' into the mix?

  7. #7
    I was on a US Navy ship, floating around PR/VI in 1969-71. At that time, WBMJ 1190 was a fantastic sounding English language Top 40 station, that in its top-of-hour ID touted being owned by Bob Hope. Later in the 70s I visited PR a few times, and was impressed by WHOA 870. English language HOA was what we used to call a MoR (middle of the road) station, and was very listenable... seems like they had CBS Radio news to boot. I can't remember the time line, but I vaguely recall later on hearing WRAI 1520 taking a stab at English language Top 40. All of these attempts at English disappeared; wonder if any of them made any impact.
    Illegitimi non carborundum.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by J Alex Bowab View Post
    I was on a US Navy ship, floating around PR/VI in 1969-71. At that time, WBMJ 1190 was a fantastic sounding English language Top 40 station, that in its top-of-hour ID touted being owned by Bob Hope. Later in the 70s I visited PR a few times, and was impressed by WHOA 870. English language HOA was what we used to call a MoR (middle of the road) station, and was very listenable... seems like they had CBS Radio news to boot. I can't remember the time line, but I vaguely recall later on hearing WRAI 1520 taking a stab at English language Top 40. All of these attempts at English disappeared; wonder if any of them made any impact.
    WBMJ, in its English language years of about late 1968-1973, did quite well at the start, but faded fast going into the 70's. By 1973, it was "Radio Rock" with rhythmic English language CHR but an entirely Spanish presentation.

    WHOA did well as a "community station" for the Continentals in PR going back to when it was on 1400 in the early 60's. For a while, the MOR format had a competitor, WKYN-630, which is where Sally Jesse Rafael worked for quite a few years doing localized talk.

    WRAI, run by a Continental and former WBMJ staffer, tried to reincarnate Top 40 in English in the mid-70s, but did not get traction.

    The major influence on all the English language stations in that era was the changing market. From the beginning of Operation Bootstrap (1948) many mainland English speaking non-Puerto Ricans came to the Island to establish industry. As industry grew, managers, engineers and technical staff were transferred from the mainland and there were large groups of such people in the larger cities. But by the end of the 60's, that population began to dwindle as local universities had begun to provide technical and business grads to fill positions, and many Puerto Ricans who would have emigrated stayed on the Island to take the better jobs being offered.

    As the population base for English language stations dropped, so did the interest in those stations... even though ones like WBMJ attracted a lot more than native mainland English speakers. With the core gone, the stations could not make money. And San Juan is not a great radio market.

    I saw one estimate that there might have been 150,000 Continentals in PR in the mid-60's. Today it is likely that the number is less than 25,000.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  9. #9
    Puerto Rico is a dual signal market, East & West simulcast frequencies, with central interior mountain ranges.
    FM stations playing English content, with Spanish talent & spots are:
    Magic 97.3 WOYE 99.5 WIDI Generation X
    Alpha Rock 105.7 WCAD CHR-Rock
    La Mega 106.9 WMEG 95.1 WEGM Party Station English/Spanish CHR
    KQ105 104.7 WKAQ 98.7 WUKQ Spanish/English CHR
    Radio Joe 106.1 WVIS Spanish/English CHR

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by keo View Post
    Puerto Rico is a dual signal market, East & West simulcast frequencies, with central interior mountain ranges.
    FM stations playing English content, with Spanish talent & spots are:
    Magic 97.3 WOYE 99.5 WIDI Generation X
    Alpha Rock 105.7 WCAD CHR-Rock
    La Mega 106.9 WMEG 95.1 WEGM Party Station English/Spanish CHR
    KQ105 104.7 WKAQ 98.7 WUKQ Spanish/English CHR
    Radio Joe 106.1 WVIS Spanish/English CHR
    WMEG and WKAQ are straight CHR though... meaning they play both English and Spanish hit songs. For all-English you would have to turn to Hot 102 (WTOK 102.5, WCMN 107.3, WMIO 102.3).

    WVIS is a rimshot to San Juan, and very indie in its programming.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




     
Our Conferences
Useful Contacts
Community


Contact Us