• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Why is Y101 broadcasting on 101.3?

I don't know what's going on here, but 101.7 is off the air and Y101 is being heard loud and clear on 101.3. Maybe something went haywire and it's just a temporary thing. I don't know what kind of interference it's causing with 101.3 in Vicksburg or even with Q101 in Meridian.

I remember years ago WRJH 97.7 would appear to go off the air but if you retuned your radio you could find them on 97.9 or a few times I heard them on 98.1. But it seemed they would be on 97.9 for hours at a time. Not sure how long it lasted but it went on for over a week at least. Most portable radios didn't have digital readout so most listeners barely noticed except when it jumped off frequency.

WRJH was using a early digital synthesized exciter, and during extreme
heat (Or cold) it became erratic and would jump off frequency. I was their consultant at the time...regulating the xmitter temperature eliminated
the problem. You must be an old timer, too...JBI

Well, not as old as some of the geezers on this board. I'm 47. The WRJH incident was in the early 80's so I must have been college age. Actually I never worked in radio. I was just a bit of a radio geek growing up. I guess you could say I listened to the radio waaay too much as a kid. I stumbled across this website several years ago and thought the discussions from many of the guys I listened to on the radio back then were very interesting. It's a shame because stories from radio people may be scarce in the future because actual live radio seems to be going the way of the 8-track. Robo-Jocks and mp3 players connected to transmitters don't tell funny stories.

You are right on...back in the day, most small stations were "one lungers"
with little or no standby units...OR engineers! SO...if anything went wrong...they were off the air. This gave rise to the "contract engineers"...most of whom were available quickly, and nearby. Yours truly was in that number, and worked (with my associates for expanded hours) central Mississippi. We witnessed some things that are hard to believe...it gave rise to many of us moving past radio, or entering the business as owners...only to find that ownership is a different piece of cake ...Nice ride...and thanks for the insight...JBI

I'm not an engineer but I've heard some strange things as well. 13KXI audio being heard in once channel of WMPR FM. WTYX 94.7 audio over WJNT's transmitter, WTYX being heard on TV channel 6 but only when WMPR was on the air. (I still haven't figured that one out, but I live a few miles from the 90.1 tower) Hearing live audio of the stadium being blown up from WSB in Atlanta over WSLI during the early morning when 930 was normally off the air. And hearing the broadcast a minute or so earlier on WSLI than on WSB. Mix 98.7 announcing the wrong songs when the voice tracking is out of sequence. Randy Grammer from the old WKKE 1180 sitting in the studio drinking coffee, rustling a newspaper, coughing and clearing his throat into an open mike several minutes before sign on. WJNT leaving a caller on the air after they had supposedly "signed off" early, but the transmitter was still on. Including the caller who kept saying "Hello?" Luckily they noticed it and pulled him off the air after having a good laugh with the caller. If I had been the caller, I would have been tempted host my own little show just for kicks right from my own house. I've heard other weird technical glitches and screw ups on the air just over the years and they seem to have gotten worse, especially nights and weekends. I'm sure there are many more I've heard or other people on the board have heard as well. also remember 99.7 "The Fox" in Charlotte playing over Z-106 for a while one morning after they didn't cut away from the John Boy and Billy Show

flytrap said:
... also remember 99.7 "The Fox" in Charlotte playing over Z-106 for a while one morning after they didn't cut away from the John Boy and Billy Show

I can remember hearing WSB simulcasting on a small AM, owned by Clear Channel, in South Georgia for a couple of weeks after someone forgot to switch back to automation after a Braves game. Yeah, Clear Channel paid a whole lot of attention to that little, unwanted, AM. Apparently whatever satellite frequency carries (carried) the Braves games just carried a 24/7 simulcast of WSB. It was easier than putting live games up then taking everything else down?

How bad is it when nobody at the radio station is even listening to their own station, and didn't notice they were simulcasting someone elses station for over a week? If I were WSB, I would just keep my mouth shut. They were getting some extra coverage without having to pay for it. A similar thing used to happen in Jackson with 780 AM. They simulcast 101.7 at the time seemed to be using a radio tuned to 101.7 connected to the AM transmitter. Often times the FM transmitter would go down but the AM station would still be on. If you switched to AM you would expect to hear regular programming, but because they were using a radio to feed the station, you wouldn't hear 101.7, but instead you would hear Miss 103, which was the next station on the dial. Apparently the FM radio was changing stations whenever 101.7 went off the air. If nobody noticed it you'd hear Miss 103 the rest of the day, or in one case I remember more than one day.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom