• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Spanish stations playing English-language hits?

bobdavcav

Star Participant
What's going on here? When I heard International Love on one of our Spanish stations the other day, I thought they had flipped to CHR and my first thought was this CHR will fail because I don't think anyone listens to 1210 am. Turns out they're still Spanish, but why that song? Also, what's with the English PSAs? I remember tuning around the dial one afternoon a couple years ago and tuned to the Spanish fm here, and they were playing an outdated Louis Braille coin commercial. I was glad to hear that on the radio given my ties to NFB, but why on this station?

I'm guessing they're trying to attract a Bilingual audience. Plus various people in the Spanish market like to listen to Top 40/CHR hits. DFW Latin Pop station KMVK Mega 107.5 has been doing the same thing since late 2010 with the additions of "Nothin' On You" by B.O.B., "Tonight (I'm Lovin' You)" by Enrique Iglesias, "Hips Don't Lie" by Shakira, and now "Gangnam Style" by Psy, and probably a dozen others.

KESS previously was Latin Pop-formatted "La Kalle 107.9" and they too followed the same format until its demise. Now (less than a year later) it's currently running as Bilingual Rhythmic/Top 40 as "Radio H2O".

I notice a billingualism on local Hispanic pop station KMIA 1210. A mix of Spanish and English language pop also.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom