• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Let's Speculate On "98.7 The Fan" Air Talent

Here's my suggestion for one of them: current NFL Network analyst and former Buccaneer Warren Sapp.

And it would be ideal if they paired him with current WHBO host (and previously longtime WDAE personality) Whitney Johnson.

And even if Sapp's out of the equation, how cool would it be if the first voice heard on WDAE (Johnson), was the first voice heard on the new competitor of WDAE?
http://sportsrantz.com/media/2012/0...k-may-join-new-tampa-bay-sports-radio-staion/

DToTheJ said:
Here's my suggestion for one of them: current NFL Network analyst and former Buccaneer Warren Sapp.

And it would be ideal if they paired him with current WHBO host (and previously longtime WDAE personality) Whitney Johnson.

And even if Sapp's out of the equation, how cool would it be if the first voice heard on WDAE (Johnson), was the first voice heard on the new competitor of WDAE?
http://sportsrantz.com/media/2012/0...k-may-join-new-tampa-bay-sports-radio-staion/

lol..nice bait, but here goes.

Sapp hates Tampa. On more than one occasion called it a small town or rube town..It's no Miami. He, his Chapter 7 and his hundreds of pairs of NIKE's and his thousands in child support can go suck it in South Beach.

Johnson? Seriously?

Cmon...if we're going to have a talent thread, let's at least be serious...then again if you were just joking, then its hysterical.

Okay, how's this for a laugh: Dan Sileo recently had lunch with a high-ranking exec at Cumulus Media - the same Cumulus Media that's involved with the development of the new CBS Sports Radio... of which 98.7 The Fan will be an affiliate in some capacity:
http://sportsrantz.com/media/2012/06/23/dan-sileo-to-cbs-sports-radio/

I know 98.7 is stressing local sports talk, but why wouldn't Sileo, who was heard in Tampa for years, be a shoo-in for their lineup, if he is indeed going to be part of the network?

DToTheJ said:
Okay, how's this for a laugh: Dan Sileo recently had lunch with a high-ranking exec at Cumulus Media - the same Cumulus Media that's involved with the development of the new CBS Sports Radio... of which 98.7 The Fan will be an affiliate in some capacity:
http://sportsrantz.com/media/2012/06/23/dan-sileo-to-cbs-sports-radio/

I know 98.7 is stressing local sports talk, but why wouldn't Sileo, who was heard in Tampa for years, be a shoo-in for their lineup, if he is indeed going to be part of the network?

Not gonna touch that one! :)

Marc Benarzyk from the former 1040 ESPN works in Charlotte now at the sports station there, also owned by CBS. He likes Charlotte so he might not move though.

Brantley
Todd Wright
Derrick Brooks
Sean King
Any local writer who doesn't already have a radio show
Al Keck

And yes, Dan Sileo.

But the real answer will probably be that the lineup will be 70-80% out-of-towners you've never heard of.

Listen to The Fan in Baltimore on trips there. Air talent is very local and, in some cases, long time Baltimore sports or media stars. The approach is somewhat like the Sports Page on DAE in the morning. Informative yet not confrontational with the callers. They also seem not to get off topic.

DToTheJ said:

Cumulus isn't hiring the air talent, CBS is. Cumulus is the syndicator of the national network.

They should be stunting with old sports greats like Howard Cosell, Harry Calas, and Harry Carey

Go cheap, syndicate all your talent. Mo more local radio. Hahahahahaha!!! ;D

Heard a rumor, they called former Fox Sports Radio Overnight Host, WAXY-AM Miami Morning host and current CBS Miami TV Host/Anchor Jorge Sedano about their morning show. No word on whether the discussions went anywhere?

charlestondxman said:
Marc Benarzyk from the former 1040 ESPN works in Charlotte now at the sports station there, also owned by CBS. He likes Charlotte so he might not move though.

Marc Bernarzyk? No way......

MsMusicRadio said:
They should be stunting with old sports greats like Howard Cosell, Harry Calas, and Harry Carey
Too creepy.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

@SportsDotCom: At least Sedano has name recognition. Then again, so do Sileo and the Sapper... ::)

This station sounds like a potential trainwreck that won't amount to much. I'll stick to 98Rock and FLZ thank you.

Ok, guys, here's how to look at it,

If Tampa Sports was that viable on FM fulltime, don't you think The Gandy Boys would have done already?

Tampa ain't New York, Philly, or any other of the old Cities up North. There is no "Old-Timer's Day" at Tropicana Field. I don't mean the Rays, either.

Baseball has a history as old as the sport itself in this area. The Bucs, Lightning, and Storm have all won the Championships in their respective sport.

I wish CBS a lot of luck, but unless they get the Play by Play back, they will be the useful idiots to the pregame and post game promotion of the station with the play by play.

Personally, I am looking forward to Hockey season, the 105.9 can be heard inside the Tampa Bay Times Forum, and that might be a hint of Gandy flirting with sports on FM.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

you guys are too much, really. Vadar/Cedric - as far as your speculative comments about 98.7 sports 'sounding like a trainwreck' - what on earth are you talking about? Unless I'm missing something, there have been no press releases about 'who' and 'what' CBS is planning to carry on the line-up and play-by-play, so how does it sound good, bad or otherwise?

And to Jeff - your comment "if Tampa Sports was that viable on FM fulltime, don't you thing the Gandy boy would have done already" - has been answered 1000x on this board. CC isn't going to dump a profitable format on the FM for an 'even swap' of an AM station. Until one of the current FM stations in their building are BILLING below 970 or 620, there is no sound business reason to make the flip at CC. CBS has a VIABLE business reason to do it......."PLAY" wasn't making them any money....period. there is NO downside for CBS what-so-ever. And based on the CBS Sports Radio press release I read, they are planning to import content onto 1010am from their new national network - which should allow CBS to have an even larger sports footprint in this market.....seems to me it's going to be a win/win for CBS and the local sports fans.

raydeogeek said:
And to Jeff - your comment "if Tampa Sports was that viable on FM fulltime, don't you thing the Gandy boy would have done already" - has been answered 1000x on this board. CC isn't going to dump a profitable format on the FM for an 'even swap' of an AM station. Until one of the current FM stations in their building are BILLING below 970 or 620, there is no sound business reason to make the flip at CC. CBS has a VIABLE business reason to do it......."PLAY" wasn't making them any money....period. there is NO downside for CBS what-so-ever. And based on the CBS Sports Radio press release I read, they are planning to import content onto 1010am from their new national network - which should allow CBS to have an even larger sports footprint in this market.....seems to me it's going to be a win/win for CBS and the local sports fans.
The point I was making, was that 620 was not on any FM simulcast as 970 has been via the HD-2 of WXTB for the last 5 years. They haven't even used a translator as they intend to do with, not one, but TWO, FM translators for 970.

If the purpose of the FM is to build an audience of new, younger, listeners who wouldn't tune to AM, then explain why they haven't done so. The Bucs games on 103.5 is a 3 hour/20 game promotion of sports on 620 but nothing to build an audience on since, I'm relatively certain, they don't intend to switch 103.5 to WDAE-FM, anyway.

1010 would pick up an audience just by simulcasting with 98.7, since the 50kw signal is so bad to begin with but that doesn't make it a Sports Market. You have to have personalities that are not going to constantly complain about the stadium and performance of the team.

P.S. I DO listen to the Rays on FM, here in Sa-ra-so-ta!, they are on 106.9 (and 98.9).

...and I LIKE IT! ;D

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom