• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Garrett Michaels Out at KBZT

Wow! He was the first air personality on when they flipped to FM 94/9 on Veterans Day 2002. But ten years with one station in this day is quite an accomplishment. I wish him the best in whatever he does next.

Finally now they can reprogram it to be an FM Beautiful Music station..... From Alternative to Beautiful Music! The exact opposite of what happened to stations in the 70's and 80's LOL. Oh well I can dream.

I place zero blame for this on the PD as usually there are other forces involved obviously: With the rollout of PPM the station went from edgy and adventurous to cookie cutter overnight. Once a new music tastemaker with its "Recommended" tracks and more, its format is essentially old school alternative now and has been for some time -- during a time when the alt. format as a whole is seeing a renaissance of new music, cool sounds and much stronger ratings across the board.

Sure there are one or two currents per hour, but this "alt. oldies"-heavy format has never performed in any market it's been tried in whether that be Phoenix, Boston, Seattle, Minneapolis, San Jose or anywhere else it has been attempted. 91X is running circles around them on the air and in the ratings. They need their swagger back or to just flip formats and give 91X the scraps.

philosofy said:
So was Mr Michaels allowed to leave on his own after all this time or was he pushed out the door?

Is there ANYONE here, who thinks that 94/9 will stay a rock station with the PD of KSON in charge?

Garrett said:
Is there ANYONE here, who thinks that 94/9 will stay a rock station with the PD of KSON in charge?

I work for a guy who runs the #1 country station and #1 classic rock station in the market. Before he did country, he did AC.

Good radio is good radio.

They could fix what's broken, they could stay the course, they could blow the whole thing up. But I don't read anything into them putting the KSON PD in charge other than they want to save a salary.

johndavis said:
Garrett said:

I work for a guy who runs the #1 country station and #1 classic rock station in the market. Before he did country, he did AC.

Good radio is good radio.

They could fix what's broken, they could stay the course, they could blow the whole thing up. But I don't read anything into them putting the KSON PD in charge other than they want to save a salary.

Another shift was dropped from KBZT today...

So how many weekday jocks are left on 94/9? The website only indicates that Hilary is on from 9-3 and Hansen from 3-7.

Also, I saw that Big Sonic Chill page link has been removed from the main page as well. The actual page is still hidden on the site, but the last playlist was posted on the 21st.

pjc1961 said:
One show that exited was on Sunday mornings: http://brunchwithbob.com/

Read comments section about halfway to 2/3rds down (under "No Longer on FM 94/9") for entry made by Kevin Callahan of KBZT FM 94/9.

Taken from the 6/28/12 RAMP newsletter, a little more detail on the demise of the Reggae show "Brunch With Bob And Friends" from Kevin Callahan:

"...Producer/host Tommy Hough says he decided to pull the show after KBZT management made the decision to change the show's time slot from 9am-noon to 7-10am. In an effort to present both sides of the story, RAMP reached out to KSON & KBZT PD Kevin Callahan, who told us, "We're sad to see Tommy go, but we've had to make some tough decisions on specialty shows. We ranked 18th in that time slot so we made the offer to move Brunch With Bob and Friends. I love the show and Tommy and we wish him the best." Hough is now seeking a new San Diego flagship for his show..."

6/28/12 newsletter link here (last item on page).

Just looked at their playlist. What a shitty station this has become. I knew every burnt to the crisp title on there. It would be pretty sad if playing Pumped Up Kicks, a song over a year old, every two and a half hours increases their ratings.

azfmfan said:
Just looked at their playlist. What a shitty station this has become. I knew every burnt to the crisp title on there. It would be pretty sad if playing Pumped Up Kicks, a song over a year old, every two and a half hours increases their ratings.
They could play anything except what they used to play and the ratings would go up.

MarkW said:
The Mikey Show doomed FM 94/9. Whoever made that call needs to be fired.

I'm sure that's already happened!
The funny thing I saw this week on FM 94/9's Facebook wall was this posting from someone in charge of moderating the 94.9 Facebook page:

We do care and are reading everything everyone is saying. In today's radio landscape, ratings = cash and cash is king... and truth be told, in 10 years, FM 94/9 has never made a dime. We have a very understanding parent company,and in this economy, not sure how many other companies would allow something to lose money for this long and be okay with it. We've been in the red for 10 straight years and we need to make some changes, some are harder than others, but needed. We do value everyone's opinion and we'll try and respond to each comment, so keep 'em coming! - Adam

Wait...
truth be told, in 10 years, FM 94/9 has never made a dime?!?!

I cannot find this to be true at all. Clearly, the person in charge of the Facebook page has no idea how radio works AT ALL and is trying to get pity points by angry listeners mad at the changes Kevin Callahan has made at the station.

How do you know this isn't true? It's a niche format so it's very possible KSON has carried them the whole time.

Exactly. If I wanted to reach a male rock audience, I'd advertise on Rock 105.3, KGB, and 91X long before FM 94/9.

And today 94.9 has been running commercial free all day. If they are losing money how does turning away sponsors for an entire day help their bottom line?

Radio3787 said:
How do you know this isn't true? It's a niche format so it's very possible KSON has carried them the whole time.

Alternative isn't really a niche format, I mean the format has proved itself to bill very decently as a whole. As far as how KBZT and XETRA do in San Diego, I have no specifics.

But I find it impossible for a station can run for almost a decade (2002-2012) with NO PROFIT, especially before the recession and PPM hit.

philosofy said:
And today 94.9 has been running commercial free all day. If they are losing money how does turning away sponsors for an entire day help their bottom line?

I saw this as well. Looks like they took the graphics on their website about this promotion right off of a CBS CHR station that runs the same promo. This promotion may try bring back a lot of the 94.9 audience they lost to Mikey.

MarkW said:
Exactly. If I wanted to reach a male rock audience, I'd advertise on Rock 105.3, KGB, and 91X long before FM 94/9.

Chances are that Lincoln Financial sales agents may bundle KSON and KBZT together in a package for advertisers.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom