• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KTXR Springfield

I first noticed it around Mother's Day. While it has a brand consistent with oldies, it sounded like a mainstream AC. I believe the M&M Boys, longtime KTTS and almost 10 year KOSP morning hosts, are programming it.

Yeah, I first noticed the changes in either April or May. Less oldies, soft AC and standards...though still some of that is still left. More of a mainstream AC feel with current pop artists (Katy Perry, Bruno Mars, etc.) Only listened a couple of times, but it seems like less use of the longtime motto of "The Gentle Giant".

Not many soft AC stations left. I guess the new normal is soft AC sounds more like mainstream AC, AC sounds more like Hot AC, and Hot AC sounds more like CHR.

I'm not really that happy to hear this----this was kinda tried prior to the soft AC, wasn't it?

Anyway...are Wayne Glenn's shows still there?

cd

I too am disappointed in KTXR shifting to a Mainstream AC format. Folks who want to hear the timeless classics that KTXR used to play now have to tune to KBFL FM 99.9/AM 1060.

When I lived in Springfield, back in 1993, KTXR was an easy-listening format. It was practically identical to the format of the radio station I worked at at the Lake of the Ozarks a few years earlier. It was 80 percent instrumental/20 percent vocal. The music was pre-programmed by Bonneville and sent to the station on reel-to-reel (later CD). The format was executed by playing one vocal every 15 minutes (every 10 minutes during the morning drive) and the rest of the hour would be instrumental. The vocals were a combination of light AC & MOR, so it was quite common to hear Frank Sinatra or Peggy Lee and then hear Phil Collins, Whitney Houston, or even the Miami Sound Machine 15 minutes later. About 80 percent of the instrumentals were instrumentalized versions of MOR, pop, & rock songs from the 60's onward that were done in new-age-jazz-style fashion. A great majority of these were arranged and recorded by Bonneville's own studio musicians. The rest were performed by various well-known instrumental guitarists such as Chet Atkins and Earl Klugh. The remaining 20 percent of the instrumental library consisted of instrumentals that were mainstream popular hits (examples: Music Box Dancer by Frank Mills or the Alex F Theme by Harold Faltermeyer). I moved away from Springfield in 1994, so I don't know when KTXR dropped this format, but the "Lake" station I worked at was still carrying this format when it shut down in 2001.

When I lived in Springfield, back in 1993, KTXR was an easy-listening format. It was practically identical to the format of the radio station I worked at at the Lake of the Ozarks a few years earlier. It was 80 percent instrumental/20 percent vocal. The music was pre-programmed by Bonneville and sent to the station on reel-to-reel (later CD). The format was executed by playing one vocal every 15 minutes (every 10 minutes during the morning drive) and the rest of the hour would be instrumental. The vocals were a combination of light AC & MOR, so it was quite common to hear Frank Sinatra or Peggy Lee and then hear Phil Collins, Whitney Houston, or even the Miami Sound Machine 15 minutes later. About 80 percent of the instrumentals were instrumentalized versions of MOR, pop, & rock songs from the 60's onward that were done in new-age-jazz-style fashion. A great majority of these were arranged and recorded by Bonneville's own studio musicians. The rest were performed by various well-known instrumental guitarists such as Chet Atkins and Earl Klugh. The remaining 20 percent of the instrumental library consisted of instrumentals that were mainstream popular hits (examples: Music Box Dancer by Frank Mills or the Alex F Theme by Harold Faltermeyer). I moved away from Springfield in 1994, so I don't know when KTXR dropped this format, but the "Lake" station I worked at was still carrying this format when it shut down in 2001.

KTXR switched to Country last month as "The Outlaw;" taking over the format from rimshot signal 99.9 KBFL.

Yes, it was KBMX. I worked there from October 1989 to October 1991. At the time it was co-owned by three people from the St. Louis area....Mike Rice, Dennis Klautzer (his radio name was Casey Van Allen), and Ken Kuenzie. I left KBMX about two or three months after the news broke about Mike Rice and his alleged sex scandal.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom