• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Hot AC in the 1990s

Though it may be 2012, this topic is about hot AC in the 1990s. As you may know, Hot AC in the 90s sounded a lot like mainstream AC, but by the late 90s, hot AC started to gain its own identity. What are some hot AC-leaning songs from the 90s you liked the most? What Hot AC stations from the 90s do you remember?

I grew up in the Detroit area. By the mid '90s or so, WKQI/95.5 was Hot AC. I can probably think of many, many songs. But there are a few in particular that were probably considered Hot AC in their peak period:

"Thank U" by Alanis Morissette
"Long December" by Counting Crows
"Barely Breathing" by Duncan Sheik (that one still gets plenty of airplay on Mainstream AC stations now)

As I think of more songs along those lines, I'll try to share them.

The big singles off of Alanis Morissette's Jagged Little Pill
A few Hootie & the Blowfish tracks, particularly "Only Wanna Be With You," "Hold My Hand" and "Time"
Goo Goo Dolls - "Iris," "Slide" and "Name"
Matchbox 20's "3 A.M." and No Doubt's "Don't Speak"

I grew up in Detroit as well, and I remember WKQI in the mid-late 90s (as Q95-5). Some of the songs I remember include:

Don't Speak - No Doubt
Mouth - Merril Bainbridge
All the Alanis Morrisette songs that were considered Hot AC
I Don't Want To Wait - Paula Cole
Iris - Goo Goo Dolls
If It Makes you Happy - Sheryl Crow
I Love You Always Forever - Donna Lewis

I recall Q95-5 as being sort of a "split personality" Hot AC. Daytime they still sounded pretty conservative, very gold-leaning and I even remember some '70s titles such as Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive," Donna Summer's "Hot Stuff," Boston's "More Than a Feeling" and Bob Seger's "We've Got Tonight" being played. (They didn't, however, despite what a 93-1 The New DRQ promo from right after the station re-launched as a Rhythmic AC in 1996 claimed, play Barry Manilow. LOL!)

At night, though, they definitely had more of an Adult CHR direction. Dave Fuller was the nighttime jock at the time and the music mix became more contemporary, with more current music and even, at times, a very tiny smidgen of rhythmic product (I recall Will Smith's "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It," and Ghost Town DJs' "My Boo" being in rotation). There also was a lot of dance product in their rotation; I recall Snap's "Rhythm Is a Dancer" and Nicki French's "Total Eclipse of the Heart" (which actually was a minor Hot AC hit) being played as well as dance remixes of "Unbreak My Heart" by Toni Braxton, "It's All Coming Back to Me Now" by Celine Dion, and even a rap-less dance remix of Quad City DJs' "C'mon 'N' Ride It (The Train)." Even during the day, Q95-5 would break out a La Bouche song or 2 Unlimited's "Get Ready for This" (with the rap included, strangely enough) every once in a while. Teen pop wise, they also got on the Backstreet Boys' "Quit Playing Games" and Hanson's "MMMBop" early but were slower to acknowledge the Spice Girls, Robyn, and Britney Spears.

At the same time, they were rather slow on the "Modern AC" leaning Hot AC hits, the ones that Planet 96.3 played frequently. I recall it taking them forever to add Jann Arden's "Insensitive," Sarah McLachlan's "Adia," and Sheryl Crow's "My Favorite Mistake," and then they played them for only a week or two before dropping them. Not understanding the concept of callout research at the time and that those songs might not have tested well in research, it frustrated me to no end.

On the subject of Alanis Morissette, there were few cuts from "Jagged Little Pill" that Q95-5 DIDN'T play. They played "Ironic," "You Learn," and "Head Over Feet," of course - and "You Oughta Know" and "Hand in My Pocket" although those weren't really Hot AC chart hits - but they ALSO had "Right Through You" and even "Your House" in rotation even though those weren't promoted singles to my knowledge. I actually recall "Your House" being the #1 song on the station's nighttime "Top 8 at 8" countdown for a time.

Then there was that '80s show they had on Sunday nights for a long time, before the syndicated "Back Trax USA" came on at ten. They dug really deep and had a nice library of "lost classics" including songs that didn't reach Billboard's Top 40 such as "How Can I Refuse" by Heart and "Pulling Mussels" by Squeeze. No other 1980s music show I've heard since has sounded as good except for maybe "Retro Radio Saturday Night" on the old ABC satellite "Best Hits, Best Variety" network (which I remember listening to on WYBR in Big Rapids and WHSB in Alpena).

Ah, the memories...

The weirdest thing about Q95-5 is that they said they were a hit music station, but were still a Hot AC because of the 80s and even occasional 70s music they played. Kind of sounds like WDVD in Detroit today, except their playlist only goes as far back as the 90s.

Another thing: before 1997, Hot AC sounded like true AC. Based on airchecks of Hot AC stations in the 90s (pre-1997) I have heard, they played most of the same titles that mainstream ACs played.

Jasonthegreat said:
Another thing: before 1997, Hot AC sounded like true AC. Based on airchecks of Hot AC stations in the 90s (pre-1997) I have heard, they played most of the same titles that mainstream ACs played.

I remember that definitely being true - Most Hot ACs were relatively close to mainstream ACs in the pre-Alanis Morissette 90s - I remember the huge shock when Hot AC started adding Semi-Charmed Life by Third Eye Blind in 1997, and it basically took off in its own direction from there...

Well, they said they were a "hit music" station... they just didn't clarify which era the hits came from. LOL :)

Even their rival station DRQ was a little odd in that regard... claiming to play "Today's hit music" while early on during the use of that slogan, they still played tons of old school rhythmic AC product.

I do also agree that 1996-97 was when hot AC started to differentiate itself from mainstream AC by playing more of the softer alternative songs like Third Eye Blind, the Wallflowers, and Paula Cole's "Where Have All the Cowboys Gone" (before "I Don't Want to Wait" crossed to mainstream AC). At the same time hot AC became more skittish about playing the Michael Bolton, Amy Grant and Vanessa Williams type artists who were still getting lots of mainstream AC play.

To me, the gold standard of what the format was in the late 1990s was ABC/Satellite Music Network's "Best Hits, Best Variety" format circa 1998-2000. Their presentation was very CHR and high-energy, with a great mix of music - you could still hear hits like Amy Grant's "Every Heartbeat" and Gloria Estefan's "Rhythm Is Gonna Get You" played there as late as 1999. Loved it.

Also, in the 90s, Hot ACs were almost always branded "Mix" or "Star". I do know that in Detroit, we were called "Q95-5".

In addition, many Hot AC stations at the time included 70s music; I think they dropped the 70s music in the late 90s.

atlantaboy said:
I remember that definitely being true - Most Hot ACs were relatively close to mainstream ACs in the pre-Alanis Morissette 90s - I remember the huge shock when Hot AC started adding Semi-Charmed Life by Third Eye Blind in 1997, and it basically took off in its own direction from there...

I think Alanis Morissette was the reason Hot AC changed its identity in the mid-to-late 90s.

ChrisInMI said:
I recall Q95-5 as being sort of a "split personality" Hot AC. Daytime they still sounded pretty conservative, very gold-leaning and I even remember some '70s titles such as Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive," Donna Summer's "Hot Stuff," Boston's "More Than a Feeling" and Bob Seger's "We've Got Tonight" being played.

If you were to compare Q95-5 from this timeframe with Detroit's two Hot AC's today (WNIC and WDVD), which of those two stations today more closely matches what 95.5 was doing back then?

Hmm... good question. It is kind of apples to oranges, since Hot AC music in 1997 was different from Hot AC today. Obviously neither WNIC nor WDVD is playing Celine Dion, Toni Braxton, or La Bouche. But I'd say probably WDVD, and I say that because they have Perez Hilton's show which leans more hot/current than the station's normal playlist. But Q95 leaned toward the pop side, and DVD has always leaned rock. At the same time, WNIC still plays a lot of '80s, and hearing '80s on a Hot AC today is sort of the equivalent of hearing '70s on a Hot AC in 1997.

new_friends_gr said:
If you were to compare Q95-5 from this timeframe with Detroit's two Hot AC's today (WNIC and WDVD), which of those two stations today more closely matches what 95.5 was doing back then?

I would say WDVD because as I recall, a majority of their songs were currents, but I could be wrong. WDVD's playlist is made up mainly of currents, but they still play some 90s and early 2000s music. Q95-5 in the late 90s played some 80s and early 90s music in addition to their currents.

ChrisInMI said:
Hmm... good question. It is kind of apples to oranges, since Hot AC music in 1997 was different from Hot AC today. Obviously neither WNIC nor WDVD is playing Celine Dion, Toni Braxton, or La Bouche.

Chris, you are right. Neither Hot AC station in Detroit plays any of those artists, since they are not considered Hot AC today. But they were definitely considered Hot AC in the mid-late 90s.

Another thing. At the start of the 21st century, Q95-5 ditched the 80s music and became a full-throttle CHR. WDVD has not done that yet, and they probably won't.

Do you guys remembe the short lived Alternative Classics Format of 96.3... WDVD????

Also Way WAY back WDVD used to be the rhythmic dance station

Don't miss the 90's, Don't miss Hot AC at that time. Today, very few songs make the current or recurrent lists of this era. :D

When KSMG Magic 105.3 evolved it played 50s, 60s, 70s until around 1991, and focused heavily on the 70s, and 60s. Then 1994 came around and they were the best mix of the 60s, 70s, and 80s. When they bought KONO in 1996 they shifted away from the 60s, and 70s. They had the 80s at 8 with Kid Kelly, and Backtrax stuff (I have an aircheck on one of my Maxell XLII high energy cassettes in my stash) When they started off in 1996 they were heavily 80s focused Hot AC playing "The Best Variety of the 80s, and Today" Tears for Fears "Shout" and "Everybody Wants to Rule the World", and that song "Let's Dance, Let's Suade" (not by Tears for Fears) played a lot, along with "Heart and Soul" by Huey Lewis and the News a lot of his songs would be heavily played on Magic. Along with the slow version of Toni Braxton's "Unbreak my Heart"

Fast forward to September 7, 1998 when KSJL flipped to Mix 96.1 during the Mix early days it would not play Huey Lewis "Hip To Be A Sqaure" the Voiceover depicts Magic as playing Huey Lewis "Hip To Be A Square" and KTFM playing "I am an East side Native, Long Been a Gangster" Todays Best Music Mix 96.1 KSJL-FM San Antonio.

Music played on both 96.1 and 105.3 played a lot of the core Hot AC artists however Mix was more heavily pop/rock based and Magic more 80s based.

You wouldn't hear Will Smith's "Just the Two of Us", or "Get Jiggy wit it" on Magic. They were behind the Hot AC times then.

The year 2000 hits with Magic's new slogan "The Best Variety of the 80s, 90s, and Today" which is still touted today like the New 93Q Houston.

Around 2003, with the arrival of Rhythmic AC 1067 Jamz, Magic dropped a lot of the 80s and brought in more Current AC product. Mix became Mainstream Top 40, and KTFM bit the dust as CHR.

It took Univison's move in with 98.5 The Beat to get things changing among the Hot AC, CHR, and Adult Top 40 counterparts.

In 2008 KTFM changed to a Hot Adult Rhythmic Contemporary which was a cross breed between the Beat and Magic absent the Hip Hop. The listeners called it "Music from the Midwest" it didn't last long.

Comparing Magic 105.3 to Mix 94.7 in Austin is comparing Apples to Oranges as Magic is still somewhat stuck in the 80s. Mainstream AC Q-1019 is trying to repeat the old days of Magic.

Willdav713, although Will Smith was not considered Hot AC, Detroit's Hot AC station at the time (Q95-5/WKQI) did play "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It" and The Fugees "Killing Me Softly" (which actually was a marginal Hot AC song.) The "Q" as it was occasionally called, was actually more of an Adult Top 40, so I can see why they played a tiny bit of rap.

Q95-5 also aired "Casey's Hot 20" with Casey Kasem and Backtrax USA with Kid Kelly (80s version).

Q95-5 switched to mainstream CHR around 2000 or 2001, and they are now a rhythmic CHR known as "Channel 9-5-5" (they still have the WKQI call sign.)

Oh, and I believe you're referring to David Bowie's "Let's Dance."

willdav713 said:
When KSMG Magic 105.3 evolved it played 50s, 60s, 70s until around 1991, and focused heavily on the 70s, and 60s. Then 1994 came around and they were the best mix of the 60s, 70s, and 80s. When they bought KONO in 1996 they shifted away from the 60s, and 70s. They had the 80s at 8 with Kid Kelly, and Backtrax stuff (I have an aircheck on one of my Maxell XLII high energy cassettes in my stash) When they started off in 1996 they were heavily 80s focused Hot AC playing "The Best Variety of the 80s, and Today" Tears for Fears "Shout" and "Everybody Wants to Rule the World", and that song "Let's Dance, Let's Suade" (not by Tears for Fears) played a lot, along with "Heart and Soul" by Huey Lewis and the News a lot of his songs would be heavily played on Magic. Along with the slow version of Toni Braxton's "Unbreak my Heart"

Fast forward to September 7, 1998 when KSJL flipped to Mix 96.1 during the Mix early days it would not play Huey Lewis "Hip To Be A Sqaure" the Voiceover depicts Magic as playing Huey Lewis "Hip To Be A Square" and KTFM playing "I am an East side Native, Long Been a Gangster" Todays Best Music Mix 96.1 KSJL-FM San Antonio.

Music played on both 96.1 and 105.3 played a lot of the core Hot AC artists however Mix was more heavily pop/rock based and Magic more 80s based.

You wouldn't hear Will Smith's "Just the Two of Us", or "Get Jiggy wit it" on Magic. They were behind the Hot AC times then.

The year 2000 hits with Magic's new slogan "The Best Variety of the 80s, 90s, and Today" which is still touted today like the New 93Q Houston.

Around 2003, with the arrival of Rhythmic AC 1067 Jamz, Magic dropped a lot of the 80s and brought in more Current AC product. Mix became Mainstream Top 40, and KTFM bit the dust as CHR.

It took Univison's move in with 98.5 The Beat to get things changing among the Hot AC, CHR, and Adult Top 40 counterparts.

In 2008 KTFM changed to a Hot Adult Rhythmic Contemporary which was a cross breed between the Beat and Magic absent the Hip Hop. The listeners called it "Music from the Midwest" it didn't last long.

Comparing Magic 105.3 to Mix 94.7 in Austin is comparing Apples to Oranges as Magic is still somewhat stuck in the 80s. Mainstream AC Q-1019 is trying to repeat the old days of Magic.

Don't forget Magic 105.3 also had a slogan from 2000-2003 that stated they were a 50/50 music blend half 80's and half 90's and today.

Much of the uptempo music that was heard from 1995 onward was due to the success of Modern AC, which took the lighter Alternative artists like Jewel, Sarah McLaughlin, Hootie & The Blowfish and others and mixed it in with New Wave and Pop/Rock hits from the 80s. Stations like KALC/Denver and WTMX/Chicago found success early on in the format.

As far as songs that I remember hearing as currents on Hot/Modern AC at the time (1996-98), here are a few that I can think of:

Texas-"Say What You Want"
Marcy Playground-"Sex and Candy"
Primitive Radio Gods-"Standing Outside A Broken Phone Booth..."
Ben Folds Five-"Brick"
matchbox twenty-"Push", "3 A.M.", "Real World"
Third Eye Blind-"Semi-Charmed Life", "How's It Going To Be", "Jumper"
The Sundays-"Summertime"
Paula Cole-"Where Have All The Cowboys Gone?", "I Don't Want To Wait", "Me"
Sheryl Crow-"If It Makes You Happy", "Everyday Is A Winding Road", "A Change Will Do You Good"
Indigo Girls-"Shame On You"
Eve 6-"Inside Out"
Dave Mathews Band-"Crash Into Me"

There's more, but I need to go now.

Robyn

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom